Checking out some new Deere paint

Help Support CattleToday:

Tennessee Cattleman

Reaction score
I have been thinking some about trading tractors. Looking for a replacement for a 20+ year old 6300 Deere with cab, SyncroPlus transmission, loader and 2 wheel drive. I mostly do hay, feed 4'x5' round bales and run a 8' bush hog on some hilly ground. I have some concern about the emissions regeneration process on all these new Deere machines. Will be considering MFWD also.

Looked and drove:
5100M- nice cab and features - but somewhat lightweight.
6105D- simple heavy tractor with good cab - but would rather it had hydraulic brakes.
6105M- very nice cab & controls, heavy and looks well built - but it has a large price increase and more complicated electronics etc.

I like the 6105D for the money but do have reservations about the mechanical brakes and haven't heard a lot about their reliability since Deere added the 12 speed transmission.

New Holland and Kubota are about the only other options in this area, have looked and drove some New Hollands, including T4, T5 and T6 series, however they are in the process of changing several models.

Another option is just keep the 6300 another 4-5 years, just has 4200 hours, only problem with it is keeping the ac working and age.

It is always good to have plenty of input, so let the good, bad and ugly fly!

I would keep what I have. Mostly what goes wrong with the AC is the compressor. Get a vacuum pump, gauges and some yellow dye and a black light ($150). If you have a leak the yellow dye will show with the black lite the leak. Just vacuum it out out about 15 minutes and make sure it holds a vacuum and then filler up with how much is recommended (make sure you don't overfill). I had a leak on one of my Kubotas in the evaporator and I fixed it my self. Keep the condenser clean, evaporator clean and the proper 134a level and it should work good.

I have a 5100M and for the chores you describe I believe it would serve you well. It is far from lightweight. I think it is about the same weight as a 6105d despite the frame size difference. I have about 800 hrs. on mine and no problems with the exhaust yet. Really doesn't re-gen all that often. All in all its a good tractor. 6105m would be a lot of overkill IMO. Not to mention pricey. Hard to beat that old steel and paid for tho.

we run the 6105D only to pull a jd 567 round baler.the 6105d has a heaver frame than the 5100.i would go with the 6105d over the 5100 any day.

The price and maneuverability of a larger tractor is the only drawbacks. Stacking hay in the barn is where a smaller frame tractor is the ticket.

See if you can find a Kubota 108. Still a few of them out there that doesn't have the tier 4 crap. I have one with just over a thousand hours on it and like it pretty good.

Glad to hear the 5100M is doing well for you SmokinM. Do you have a loader on, if so how much weight will it lift before the rear starts gets a little bouncy?

bigbull338 have you had any issues or problems with your 6105D?

From the best I can tell from the Deere website the standard 6105D weighs about 1350 lbs.more than a standard 5100M. Both tractors with cab & MFWD. Different wheels and rims will change this weight.

Yes it does have a loader. Handles an 84" bucket full of rock no problem. 4x5 bales you
don't even know they are there. Fluid in the tires but no bolt on weights. Great loader/ hay tractor. If you are really concerned about the emissions stuff you can always try to find a 5105M with low hours.

the only problem we had with the 6105d was the a/c quit cooling.but that was because the screen and filters needed blowing out.because they got hay in them.after that was donre the a/c started cooling just fine again.

Tennessee, Did you look at the New Holland T4.95? I think it might fit into your needs. I have a T4.75 I use for a chore tractor, as well as pull a 9' Disc bine with it. I really like it. Just trying to help. B&G

I don't know anything about the new ones but I do have a question on yours. How do you like the syncro tranny? Can you shift forward gears while moving? It is what I am looking for.

We had a 6115d was a good very basic tractor. It was early one and just did not have enough gears. Always looking for right one and it was not there. I think they have changed that since adding more. We traded it on a 6430, happy with it. That d had one of the coldest a/c I have ever seen!

Just read your tranny question. That is the real deal, not only on the road. But when your are in the field come up on a hill,ditch, etc... We looked at them all before we traded and those blue ones are very nice also.

We're looking at taking on a 5th tractor and looked at the 4066R but it like the Kubota L6060 both have a DPF. Just not wild about that at all. We got a 5065M 2WD with a Cab and 16F/16R with Power Reverser about 3 years and it's Tier 3 emissions so not too big of a deal but these new with DPF and Regen cycle I just don't like the thought of it at all. Took quite a lot of phone calls but found a few Kubota MX5100's that's Interim Tier 4, it has an EGR but no DPF. Going Monday, a 3 hour drive, to try and cut a deal. Sure hope the CaseIH 5140 Maxxum and the old reliable IH 686 with M&W Turbo are planning on hanging around a for a long time because we just see getting into all this new emissions stuff until someone comes up with something better and I think they will eventually. Kubota is working on engines that only use a DOC, Diesel Oxidization Catalyst, works sorta like a catalytic converter on road vehicles.

Thing is no one but Kubota knows where the engines are going to be used, might be industrial might Ag:
http://www.kubotaengine.com/company-info/latest-news

Someone needs to build delete kits for tractors. I see where someone offers programmers for tractors, so the technology is already there.

Tim/South":16bbpznc said:
We have a 6100D. It has been a good reliable tractor for us. The 5105M I run at times is more nimble, shorter turning radius etc.
The 6105E is a much heavier tractor than the 5100E. 8,750 lb compared to 14.374 according to Tractor Data.com.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... 6105d.html
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... 5100m.html

A 12 speed would be nice on our 6100D but is not a deal breaker.

The 6000D series is finally going to be available this year with up to a 24F/12R transmission. Seems like a nice tractor with less bells and whistles and in a somewhat decent price range.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/products/equ ... eries.page?

Latest posts