Cheap Food

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Came across a Supermarket flyer from 1951...gallon of milk 92 cents.
Checked an inflation calculator and found $1.00 in 1951 = $9.18 today
92 cent gallon of milk would = $8.44 a gallon today

We drink at least 4 gallons of whole milk a week in our family, and would buy raw milk if I could find it.

As far as the price not keeping up with inflation, the government subsidizes milk, so we are paying much more than that a gallon I am sure.

Bestoutwest":ekut3tlp said:
It reminds me of gas prices. Old people really like to whip out "I remember when gas was $.50/gallon...." I got wondering what that would be like today and found this:

http://zfacts.com/gas-price-history-graph

I'm old I guess, because in 1976 I was paying $.47 cents a gallon for gas delivered. And I know I paid $.37 cents a gallon for diesel fuel in 1992.

highgrit":lg9pfnbc said:
Bestoutwest":lg9pfnbc said:
It reminds me of gas prices. Old people really like to whip out "I remember when gas was $.50/gallon...." I got wondering what that would be like today and found this:

http://zfacts.com/gas-price-history-graph

I'm old I guess, because in 1976 I was paying $.47 cents a gallon for gas delivered. And I know I paid $.37 cents a gallon for diesel fuel in 1992.

Sorry, I meant if one were to calculate for rate of inflation. In 1976 gas, in today's money, would cost $2.50/gallon on average according to that chart. According to an inflation calculator, at $0.47/gallon, it would be $1.97/gallon in today's money.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

And yes, if you were old enough to buy gas in 1976, you are an old fart!

Kell-inKY":32svyhd9 said:
As far as the price not keeping up with inflation, the government subsidizes milk, so we are paying much more than that a gallon I am sure.
Dairy subsidies started in the late '20s so 1951 milk price of 92 cents retail = $8.44 retail today is a fair and valid comparison.

Kell-inKY":2740hja0 said:
We drink at least 4 gallons of whole milk a week in our family, and would buy raw milk if I could find it.

The dairy farmer doesn't get a whole lot more for his milk today than he did in 1951 so with or without subsidies it's still a bargain. I haven't checked wholesale milk prices lately but last time I checked the dairy was receiving something like $15 for 100 lbs. That's less than $2 a gallon so you're not paying the dairyman much. Just the folks between him and your refrigerator.

Son of Butch":geol34gx said:
Dairy subsidies started in the late '20s so 1951 milk price of 92 cents retail = $8.44 retail today is a fair and valid comparison.
I don't really know what I'm talking about on the subsidies so I stand corrected. A little over a year ago they were hollering about if they don't get the farm bill passed it will raise the price of milk to $7 so I guess I was assuming they meant we were subsidizing about 50%. And no, the dairy farmer, just like row crop farmer, are not getting rich generally. We have 2 locally, and they aren't "killing it" for sure. I do know who is killing it in the farm industry though, and they aren't farmers.

Kell-inKY":au28ahnb said:
I do know who is killing it in the farm industry though, and they aren't farmers.
To get really really rich in Agriculture you need to "Farm the Farmers not the land" like....
Monsanto, Syngenta, John Deere, ADM, Cargill, Tyson and many many others all do.

Bestoutwest":19zyr2j5 said:

:shock: :eek: (insert smiley shaking its finger while shaking its head)

Youth......crazy kids, no respect I tell ya! :lol2: <-------------------yeah, I know, I sound like an old fart.

All the technology, gizmos, etc are dependent on cheap food... People couldn't afford 4 TV's, 4 laptops, 4 cell phones, 4 newer cars... etc if they didn't have cheap food (and gas)
In other words, cities wouldn't grow the way they do,.. no one cares, but it's the reason the country towns are becoming ghost towns too.. no one can make a buck anymore.

Workinonit Farm":1tnjtzvy said:
Bestoutwest":1tnjtzvy said:

:shock: :eek: (insert smiley shaking its finger while shaking its head)

Youth......crazy kids, no respect I tell ya! :lol2: <-------------------yeah, I know, I sound like an old fart.

I can remember when gas was $1.09 in 1999, and I could fill my truck from 1/2 full to full for a $10 bill. Now it takes a $60 bill.

Latest posts