Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
MikeC, do you know the average BW, 205-day and YW weights on Charolais registered in the US? I'm not looking to start a breed war; just curious. In fact, I'd be interested to see that same info on Simmentals and Herefords. Thanks....

Frankie":249288uy said:
MikeC, do you know the average BW, 205-day and YW weights on Charolais registered in the US? I'm not looking to start a breed war; just curious. In fact, I'd be interested to see that same info on Simmentals and Herefords. Thanks....

2004 Breed Statistics for Registered Charolais (Yearling not available yet)
Average Birthweight:
Bulls - 91 lbs.
Heifers - 86 lbs.

Weaning weights: (205 Adjusted)
Bulls - 689 lbs.
Heifers - 621 lbs.

Adjusted Carcass Stats:
Hot carcass weights - 797 lbs.
Ribeye Area - 14.28 sq. in.
Backfat - .38 in.
Marbling - 4.82

Glad to be some help!

dang! seems like you char growers is making some real progress if you average mareble score is dang near 5. hell thats better than a lot of angus aint it? :shock:

TUCO":2q8lnb7b said:
dang! seems like you char growers is making some real progress if you average mareble score is dang near 5. hell thats better than a lot of angus aint it? :shock:

That's marbling score - NOT "Intramuscular Fat"

thanks MikeC. i see now that i ran threw your first post to quick and I was thinking about IMF percent. now if you char folks could keep all them good char qualitys and then on top of that get IMF in the high 4 range you would really have a heck of a calf wouldnt you. :)

TUCO":2hjsnkgw said:
thanks MikeC. i see now that i ran threw your first post to quick and I was thinking about IMF percent. now if you char folks could keep all them good char qualitys and then on top of that get IMF in the high 4 range you would really have a heck of a calf wouldnt you. :)

Tuco, I'm working on it hard...... I have been using ultrasound in culling decisions for heifers and bulls for about 6 years. Using cowboy math an IMF of 3% should still be choice on the right cows. But most guys are worried about pounds now. ;-)

Latest posts