Charolais breeders question

Help Support CattleToday:

got_cows?

Reaction score
We need a good, low BW Charolais bull. The last bull was out of Oahe Wind. Are there lines we should steer clear of?

The reason I'm asking is because these are my FIL's cattle. He passed away suddenly & unexpectedly a few months ago. We raise Limousin and live close to my in-law's place. Since we are responsible for the cattle at both places we don't want a lot of calving trouble. We'd like to keep the herd Charolais.

My father-in-law is missed terribly and it's important that his herd thrive. Until we work with his cattle more we just want a live calf. The rest will follow as we learn more.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

There are several good Char breeders in IL. Nord Farms in Bloomington and LaFraise in Flanagan are 2 that I would consider if they are close enough. In Dec. Swegle Creek had their dispersal and they had some top notch cattle.

just remember about across breed adjustments. a "4.0" Charolais BW EPD is nowhere near a Limousin 4.0 BW EPD

a 4.0 Charolais BW EPD = a 9.9 Limousin BW EPD

Wow! 9.9 Eek! Is there some website that has breed comparisons for EPD's? I never knew it varied that much.
Thanks for all the replies. We've talked with three breeders already and are looking at the first set of bulls tomorrow.
vs_ cattle - We do AI. We just aren't going to AI all of them.

got_cows?":iu4smyoa said:
Wow! 9.9 Eek! Is there some website that has breed comparisons for EPD's? I never knew it varied that much.
Thanks for all the replies. We've talked with three breeders already and are looking at the first set of bulls tomorrow.
vs_ cattle - We do AI. We just aren't going to AI all of them.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFiles/Pl ... 06News.pdf

just for laughs
a 2.0 Charolais BW EPD = a 12.0 Angus BW EPD :D

EPDs are published annually by breed associations for most breeds of beef cattle. EPDs
estimate differences expected in performance of future progeny of two or more bulls of the
same breed for birth weight, weaning weight, yearling weight, maternal weaning weight, and
milking ability (as reflected in progeny weaning weights). Without the across-breed adjustment
factors, EPDs cannot be used to compare animals of different breeds because EPDs are
computed separately for each breed association and each breed has a different base point. The
adjustment factors reflect not only current breed differences but also differences in the base
point for which average EPD = 0 for each breed. Thus, the adjustment factors alone are not
estimates of average breed differences.

MikeC":3ihqak3n said:
EPDs are published annually by breed associations for most breeds of beef cattle. EPDs
estimate differences expected in performance of future progeny of two or more bulls of the
same breed for birth weight, weaning weight, yearling weight, maternal weaning weight, and
milking ability (as reflected in progeny weaning weights). Without the across-breed adjustment
factors, EPDs cannot be used to compare animals of different breeds because EPDs are
computed separately for each breed association and each breed has a different base point. The
adjustment factors reflect not only current breed differences but also differences in the base
point for which average EPD = 0 for each breed. Thus, the adjustment factors alone are not
estimates of average breed differences.

thank you Capt Obvious. :D

we were talking about EPD adjustments only. nobody was talking about actual phenotypic differences. only what an EPD from one breed means compared to the other.

dont defend your breed to fervently, you wont win this one. :mad: :p

Just for laughs................

thank you Capt Obvious.

we were talking about EPD adjustments only. nobody was talking about actual phenotypic differences. only what an EPD from one breed means compared to the other.

dont defend your breed to fervently, you wont win this one.

I have already won. Just for laughs................ :lol:

You might have known the obvious but some others might not have.

Thank you Capt Oblivious..................

Well Then Buy A Bull As Planed
If You Want A Calving Ease Charolais Bull Look At Some Key Factors Such As
BW EPDs For A Charolais Anything 0 Or Less Is Very
Good I Got A -2.5 Bull
Another Is His BW Anything Under 80 Should Work I Got A 74 Pounder There Are Some In The 60s But Low To Even High 70 Will Work
Another Is His Head And Shoulders
You Dont Want A Large Head Or Broad Shoulders
This Will Be A Higher Risk For Problems So Dont Just Depend On BW But It Is A Good Place To Start
Hope I Helped A Little

Also I Have Talked To Harlin From Double H
He Is A Real Nice Guy He Will Help You In Selecting A Charolais Bull That Will Fit Your Needs His Operation Is A Very Great One With His Cattle Winning Different Shows And Having Different Records In The AICA I Would Recomend For You To Atleat Give Him A Call To See What He Can Do For You 110% Good Guy

Latest posts