Changing hydraulic filters on tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

It's a good tip.
But I'm not changing filters without changing fluid. We change hydraulic fluid and filters every 100 hours on tractors and skid steer. With the constant swapping of implements it's cheap insurance....imo

callmefence said:
It's a good tip.
But I'm not changing filters without changing fluid. We change hydraulic fluid and filters every 100 hours on tractors and skid steer. With the constant swapping of implements it's cheap insurance....imo

I certainly ain't arguing against it being good insurance but that gets mighty expensive every 100 hours.

JMJ Farms said:
callmefence said:
It's a good tip.

I certainly ain't arguing against it being good insurance but that gets mighty expensive every 100 hours.

Yes sir, but still cheaper than one day of down time at the wrong time.

100 or 1000 hours? I thought most suggested 1000, there's just no way I could keep up at 100 hours. And I don't have much equipment.

True Grit Farms said:
Why wouldn't you change everything at the same time including cleaning the screen.
+1

Does yours have one filter or two. That fluid is what runs in the power steering, lift arms, brakes, PTO and everything else except the engine. Use OEM or equivalent and change often.

M.Magis said:
100 or 1000 hours? I thought most suggested 1000, there's just no way I could keep up at 100 hours. And I don't have much equipment.
John Deere recommends 600 on the tractors
And 300 on the skidsteers. With employees using them , implements being swapped back and forth and the fact very often it's running a implement with a hydraulic moter all day. I'm gonna stick with it. I worked the skid steer yesterday for 3 hours and it produced enough to pay for fuel, air, hydraulic, oil filters and fluids on 4 machines. Not bragging, it's just not really that expensive compared to what you can produce.
I just recently bared my teeth and took my truck to 7000 and I'm running synthetic. There's no way I'm going to 12500...... that's just against my upbringing.

callmefence said:
M.Magis said:
And 300 on the skidsteers. With employees using them , implements being swapped back and forth and the fact very often it's running a implement with a hydraulic moter all day. I'm gonna stick with it. I worked the skid steer yesterday for 3 hours and it produced enough to pay for fuel, air, hydraulic, oil filters and fluids on 4 machines. Not bragging, it's just not really that expensive compared to what you can produce.
I just recently bared my teeth and took my truck to 7000 and I'm running synthetic. There's no way I'm going to 12500...... that's just against my upbringing.

tell me about it , I still want to change the oil in my vehicles at 3k miles . I go 5k using synthetic , Just can not fathom 10k

callmefence said:
M.Magis said:

They also say to use their brand of fluid as do all of the other equipment manufacturers..

callmefence said:
M.Magis said:
They also say to use their brand of fluid as do all of the other equipment manufacturers.

hurleyjd said:
callmefence said:
M.Magis said:
They also say to use their brand of fluid as do all of the other equipment manufacturers.

Or equivalent..

M-5 said:
callmefence said:

tell me about it , I still want to change the oil in my vehicles at 3k miles . I go 5k using synthetic , Just can not fathom 10k

I run to 10k between changes. 11 quarts of Rotella and 1 quart of Lucas. I change at or just before 10k intervals regardless of what the oil life sensor says but the oil life monitor usually says between 10% and 30% oil life left. Change fuel filters and air filters at every oil change. Got 180k on it and all is well so far. Guess time will tell.

I've read that some hot shot drivers are changing filters every 10k and oil every 30k. I ain't gonna go that far.

In the old days I rarely ever changed the oil in my boats. Changed the filter every couple of hundred hours, and the old GM Detroit's changed the oil about every 100 hours.

Hook2.0 said:
Needed to change the hydraulic filters without changing the fluid, or losing too much. Removing them, you lose all your fluid.
If you stick a shop vac Into the fill port, you only lose whats in your filters. Worked great! Just make sure you're on the right port of the vacuum

Hmm...thinking what happens if the power goes out...I can see that happening to me...guess you work fast and cross your fingers. :lol:

Red Bull Breeder said:
Both of my Kubota's you only lose what in the filter when you change them.
If your Kubota's are like mine, you lose a good bit more than just what is in the filters. Including filling the filters it takes 16 gallons of hydraulic fluid. If you run UDT you know the expense. We put 200-400 hours/year on the tractors (varies by machine) and change all fluids and filters once per year and engine twice.
I have an old Scat Trak skid steer (Kubota V2203 engine) that may see 60-100 hours use per year. I can't remember the last time I actually change the oil. Keep it topped off and change the filter if I start feeling too guilty.

Latest posts