Cemetery etiquette

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":19rn8u0s said:
I guess I was judging her to harshly. I do that sometimes.

Its understandable since its you who are taking care of the cemetery and when you see trash and beer cans it would be easy to project your negative feelings about this disrespect toward some stranger you see in the cemetery.

Kingfisher":3gdhi2rm said:
As I was leaving Austin today I heard a snip on the radio about the city going to make it illegal for folks to "decorate" their kin graves....not enough information to really understand the complaint but seems like the decorations must blow off or deteriorate such thAt it causes some more work for the city.....now they have some torques widows to deal with. Keep Austin Weird baby! ;(
I mow a small church and cemetery, some people decorate grave sites with all kinds of decorations, yes, some of the stuff blows off, but the way I look at it, this is their kinfolk. I do my best to honor that. It does get a little bothersome sometimes. That's the reason they are willing to pay someone else to mow it.

greybeard":vi8qwcz5 said:
I've been in more than one old cemetery, where I noticed an awful lot of young kids (you can tell of course, by the Born vs Died dates) all dying within a 1-3 yr span. Influenza, cholera, smallpox type outbreaks.

Bunch in this neck of the woods 1919 Spanish influenza epidemic got my grandpa and a great aunt.
http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

Near here, a parish priest refused to allow a limestone representation of a couch to become a marker. He said there wasn't room for it. I think he was just not allowing a domestic situation to move into the next life.
It was a parish cemetery and the priest has responsibility. The widow said the deceased was a Colts fan and a NASCAR fan and she wanted him to be as comfortable in the next life as he was in this.

john250":38iaogz1 said:
Near here, a parish priest refused to allow a limestone representation of a couch to become a marker. He said there wasn't room for it. I think he was just not allowing a domestic situation to move into the next life.
It was a parish cemetery and the priest has responsibility. The widow said the deceased was a Colts fan and a NASCAR fan and she wanted him to be as comfortable in the next life as he was in this.

Should have just lowered the original couch into the hole and layed him in it. A 12 pack could have been the headstone. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":1htbxhio said:
Bigfoot":1htbxhio said:

Its understandable since its you who are taking care of the cemetery and when you see trash and beer cans it would be easy to project your negative feelings about this disrespect toward some stranger you see in the cemetery.

Naw after reading everybodies comments, and thinking about it for a day, she wasn't hurting anything. I didn't say anything to her, other than to feel her out about what she was doing. I wouldn't be into photographs of headstones, and she probably wouldn't be into what I like. There is all kinds of people in the world. It don't make her disrespectful, just not like me.

What I was trying to say is the reason it might have concerned you some is that you care about the cemetery. If you didn't care about the cemetery then you wouldn't have even noticed her.

Bigfoot":m0xs4uck said:
Jogeephus":m0xs4uck said:
Bigfoot":m0xs4uck said:

Naw after reading everybodies comments, and thinking about it for a day, she wasn't hurting anything. I didn't say anything to her, other than to feel her out about what she was doing. I wouldn't be into photographs of headstones, and she probably wouldn't be into what I like. There is all kinds of people in the world. It don't make her disrespectful, just not like me.

You're a good man and also what Jo said! Sometimes I get hung up on my feelings and not common sense.

:tiphat:

Latest posts