cedar or treated post?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3il28hs5 said:
Hate to hear that.

We have a lot of old cedar fences. Most were done when my dad was a teen so they are 40-50yrs.

My dad use to tell us stories about having their arms inside the hole with the post hole diggers on corners and how big of a hole they would dig to put a crooked line post in. We pulled a couple corners one time and they were around 6'6" deep. :shock: He wasn't BSing us.

The new treating is worthless the post don't last 5 or 6 years here.
I have post I know my dad had and are still good and have been pulled up and reused.
The few Cedars I have left on the place I have been saving for hard times.

Caustic Burno":oa8wl1mq said:
Brute 23":oa8wl1mq said:
Hate to hear that.

We have a lot of old cedar fences. Most were done when my dad was a teen so they are 40-50yrs.

My dad use to tell us stories about having their arms inside the hole with the post hole diggers on corners and how big of a hole they would dig to put a crooked line post in. We pulled a couple corners one time and they were around 6'6" deep. :shock: He wasn't BSing us.

The new treating is worthless the post don't last 5 or 6 years here.
I have post I know my dad had and are still good and have been pulled up and reused.
The few Cedars I have left on the place I have been saving for hard times.

We use all osage orange hedge posts. They will last absolutely forever, can't drive a staple in them but outside of them burning up they are hard to beat. A creosote or something similar won't last around here and I'll be damned if I'm limbing cedars when the hedge is so much easier.

Just came in from putting in post on a stretch that was replaced after Rita.
Those post almost lasted 10 years. What chaps me they last no better to marginally
to a sorry landscape timber and are sold at a premium price.
I think they have got to the point they have designed them to rot so you have to come
back and buy more. Kinda like a 60 month battery goes out at 59 months.

They tell me treated lumber changed Environmental requirements. Maybe the same chemical change applied to posts too?

Latest posts