Cedar Cut- Herdbull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Made it up to check the pasture the young bull is in.. Found him making his rounds..

L B B Cedar Cut B1 17964615 - a Three Trees Prime Cut 0145 son out of Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U- a nice daughter of the good Cole Creek Juanadamere 102R cow now owned by John Dockweiler of Nebraska...This is the little bull who's Tenderness rank came back in the top 16% on the Zoetis PF50 DNA test)

(The hills and horizon really look strange in this picture... It is because of all the smoke we are getting from the fires in northern Canada... Some days visibility is really cut down... Canada is burning up with the drought they are having....)

Doing what young bulls are supposed to be doing..

This little fella thinks he wants to be a herdbull too... Follows the old bulls around just like he was ready to go..
A Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X son out of a nice cow- W C R Floret 749T... Next spring we should have several calves sired by his half brother Lazy Bar B Trackrunner # 17506127

The fires aren't all in northern canada.. lots and lots in the south, and probably Washington too.. yes, it's been a dry year.. I only recall 1 significant day of rain since winter.. Yesterday I couldn't see anything across the canyon

I think it's already been established that your breeding goals may be different from other people here, and after the last thread it's good to see you're still posting pictures.
My little bull calf has been trawling for cows in heat since he was 2 months old, and pestering the old bull.. My yearling bull is probably about the same size as yours, and I think he was raised in much the same way.. he stayed with the cows and had to work for his food all winter too

Yeah Nesikep- this pasture is about 30 miles from the Canadian border- and while it got some early rains, it is really drying out in the 90 degree days...But just a few miles north on up into Saskatchewan-- its bone dry- no grass, no hay, no crops...Folks already cutting back on cattle and buying hay..

This morning was really terrible down here in the Milk River Valley- smoke so thick visibility was only about 1/4 mile... It even burns your lungs- I don't know how those folks closer to the fires can stand it...

As far as the little bull- he has quite a lineage of cow-makers and cattle that do well on grass (Emulation N Bar 5522, Basin Rainmaker 654X, O C C Emblazon 854E, 6807, C H Quantum 6247 (the original "Cedar" bull), EXT, Juanada Lad of R R 22, Basin Max 104J ) to name a few... Now only time and getting calves on the ground and daughters in the herd will tell if he can live up to his heritage...

I also like that second one. He does look like he could turn out to be the real deal.

I have a lot of haze from the fires here too and I darn near to the Pacific Ocean. Two hours after the sun came up it is just a red ball in the haze. I think my smoke isn't from Canada but from that fire in the Olympics. The rain forest doesn't burn very often but when it does there is a lot of fuel up there.

At this point no matter which way the wind blows we're going to have smoke... to the west we have several 10,000 acre fires in thick forests, 30 miles to the south we have a 10,000 acre blaze, there's fires burning in the north, and in the east too.. we're screwed!

Dave, on facebook there was a picture from NASA showing the smoke cloud above BC, google it and you're sure to find it.. it was the size of Vancouver Island and THICK... you're probably getting a bunch from that too

The first bull looks a lot like the heifers. Very average. Again "Sorry". The 2nd one does have potential.

TexasBred":1nxupp80 said:
The first bull looks a lot like the heifers. Very average. Again "Sorry". The 2nd one does have potential.

Nothing to apologize for... That is in many ways what I'm looking for- just average more moderate, maternal range cattle that go out there and just do their job year after year - and can survive in the bad years and thrive in the good ones.... I ran into too many wrecks years ago with the fancy bigger, better, fasters out of the bull of the month sires...

As for the 749T calf - here is his mother W C R Floret 749T # 15802668 and her 2012 calf- Lazy Bar B Trackrunner (a calf we sold and then bought back as a 2 year old and are now using)... It will be interesting to see how this years calf turns out...

100_0380_zpsd8636c1b.jpg

Latest posts