Caustic Norris

Help Support CattleToday:

norriscathy

Reaction score
The thread on Protein Tubs has really taught me something! We had "experts" claiming that no cow could possibly eat one pound of salt, other "experts" claim that one pound of salt per day was so outrageous that it would cause a cow to drink 100 gallons of water per day, another "expert" claims that anything from cottonseed would destroy a bull! I have neighbors with three or four cows that do nothing but feed 3-n-1 or 2-n-1 salt mix. Anyone that has ever walked into a real feed store knows about range meal and 3-n-1. I have come to the conclusion that 5% of yall are real cattlemen like Burno, Camp, Bez and and few others; 5% of yall like Saltydawg are new to the business, freely acknowledge it and seek good valueable advice; the other 90% of yall, including some with "guru" status, are nothing but total frauds that may or may not own a pet show heifer or two!

My biggest grip starting in the cattle business 30 years ago, was that no one would talk you. I was left to the mercy of the snake oil salesmen and every lesson I learned cost a ton of money and time. If someone is new and doesn't understand something I am more than happy to share. By no means do I have a lock on all cattle knowledge, there is just to much to learn. It is great if I can communicate with people that have similar problems and maybe get some help for myself.

It would be a help if you would quit trying to play the great pretender. Don't sit there and treat the last article you read like something you learned from 20 years of doing. These could be a great site for experienced and inexperienced alike as well as long as the frauds quit trying to blow smoke up everyone's butt. The sad part is that some beginner will actually believe you and spend a ton of time and money finding out you have no idea what you're talking about.

With apologies to Burno, you may now sign me as:

Caustic Norris

Boy NC,

That's a big brush you just painted a lot of people with!

I happen to agree with you on the protein tub issue, but why didn't you just slap everyone else in the face except caustic, camp and Bez?

cypressfarms":13eftlqv said:
Boy NC,

That's a big brush you just painted a lot of people with!

I happen to agree with you on the protein tub issue, but why didn't you just slap everyone else in the face except caustic, camp and Bez?

No kidding!

norriscathy":qw7vequl said:
The thread on Protein Tubs has really taught me something! We had "experts" claiming that no cow could possibly eat one pound of salt, other "experts" claim that one pound of salt per day was so outrageous that it would cause a cow to drink 100 gallons of water per day, another "expert" claims that anything from cottonseed would destroy a bull! I have neighbors with three or four cows that do nothing but feed 3-n-1 or 2-n-1 salt mix. Anyone that has ever walked into a real feed store knows about range meal and 3-n-1. I have come to the conclusion that 5% of yall are real cattlemen like Burno, Camp, Bez and and few others; 5% of yall like Saltydawg are new to the business, freely acknowledge it and seek good valueable advice; the other 90% of yall, including some with "guru" status, are nothing but total frauds that may or may not own a pet show heifer or two!

My biggest grip starting in the cattle business 30 years ago, was that no one would talk you. I was left to the mercy of the snake oil salesmen and every lesson I learned cost a ton of money and time. If someone is new and doesn't understand something I am more than happy to share. By no means do I have a lock on all cattle knowledge, there is just to much to learn. It is great if I can communicate with people that have similar problems and maybe get some help for myself.

It would be a help if you would quit trying to play the great pretender. Don't sit there and treat the last article you read like something you learned from 20 years of doing. These could be a great site for experienced and inexperienced alike as well as long as the frauds quit trying to blow smoke up everyone's butt. The sad part is that some beginner will actually believe you and spend a ton of time and money finding out you have no idea what you're talking about.

With apologies to Burno, you may now sign me as:

Caustic Norris
NC, One thing you need to take into account is that feeding techniques vary greatly from area to area.I'll be the first to step up to the plate and say once again. I have never seen any Cow eat a pound of salt a day.Maybe one that was starved and totally neglected, but I dont have any of those. Never.I dont try to limit my Cattle's feed intake with salt. I've never bumped heads with you, but another issue, while we are cleaning house is your practice of dumping a weeks worth of feed to Cattle all at one time.That's ridiculous.Surely, if you are running 250 head, you could have a better arrangement than that.As far as the practices you find to be useful in your neck of the woods,-I find to be useless here in Tennessee.You do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me.

Plenty cows eat pound of salt per day. Thousands of tons of feed that use salt to control intake sold every year in TX. I've seen cows eat enough of these types of feeds to consume a pound of salt daily, sometimes more.

rk":1i3c72n6 said:
Plenty cows eat pound of salt per day. Thousands of tons of feed that use salt to control intake sold every year in TX. I've seen cows eat enough of these types of feeds to consume a pound of salt daily, sometimes more.
I feed Hi-Mag salt year round'. Our feed has a small amount of salt in it as well.I have it custom blended from my own specifications. I feed strictly in the Winter, and let pastures do their job the rest of the Year.I've had Cattle all my life, and myself, have never seen a salt intake as described.

rk":1ziw8xhu said:
Thousands of tons of feed that use salt to control intake sold every year in TX.

That is the key issue. Not everyone is on texas, not everyone feeds CSM, not everyone etc.
It's important to remember that each area is different and has varying needs/resources

dun

dun":1evob028 said:
rk":1evob028 said:
Thousands of tons of feed that use salt to control intake sold every year in TX.

That is the key issue. Not everyone is on texas, not everyone feeds CSM, not everyone etc.
It's important to remember that each area is different and has varying needs/resources

dun
Thank You Mr. Dun!

Crowderfarms":1euado6z said:
dun":1euado6z said:
rk":1euado6z said:

dun
Thank You Mr. Dun!

I fully realize there are differences by region.....my point is that this type of salt intake is possible and happens everyday.

90% of yall, including some with "guru" status, are nothing but total frauds

Maybe you should find a more knowledgeable forum to disseminate your vast wealth of information. "Experts" like you could surely do more good somewhere else, rather than conversing with the lesser
informed such as us "frauds". :mad: :mad: :mad:

MikeC":1bw5zibn said:
90% of yall, including some with "guru" status, are nothing but total frauds

Maybe you should find a more knowledgeable forum to disseminate your vast wealth of information. "Experts" like you could surely do more good somewhere else, rather than conversing with the lesser
informed such as us "frauds". :mad: :mad: :mad:
I could give a frog's behind about "Guru" status myself. I've read people's posts with only a few comments, and found them to be very useful posts.Heck, IF half the Cattlemen I know had computers, they could put a lot of people to absolute shame.

There's only really two or three "members" that I've seen that acted as if they knew it all and gave advice that really seemed to not only be wrong, but extremely misleading. I don't bother to read those. (Like Tenn. cattle nuthead 57)

I've said it before, we got a lot of areas represented here. From Europe to U.S. to Australia. What works for one may not work for the other.

I've also found that for the most part you get what you give (as far as courtesy).

Not sure why you felt that you had to vent like that norris? Never saw you get hostile before.

Crowderfarms":23v6vbok said:
Heck, IF half the Cattlemen I know had computers, they could put a lot of people to absolute shame.

You said a mouthful!
I'm sure there are many old timers that just don't like computers. I can think of about 10 right off the bat.

Caustic Burno":3pjsmoj5 said:
Dang Norris this has got them hotter than hobby or wantabee.

You know caustic, I have no problem with someone calling me a hobby farmer, because that's what I am. I have been around cattle many years though.

For someone to say:
"It would be a help if you would quit trying to play the great pretender. Don't sit there and treat the last article you read like something you learned from 20 years of doing. These could be a great site for experienced and inexperienced alike as well as long as the frauds quit trying to blow smoke up everyone's butt. The sad part is that some beginner will actually believe you and spend a ton of time and money finding out you have no idea what you're talking about."

And a person to not be one of the apparently 3 wise men, (Well, two men and a woman.) I can see some people getting offended. Take Beefy for example, who does a better job of him at detailing his expenses and calculating every cost? He's posted how thorough some of his details are. To just paint everyone with a brush leaves me feeling....well tar'd and feathered. Just because CN didn't like the way one post went, and he/she didn't agree with some of the people's opinions, makes everyone besides the blessed three all part of the 90% know nothings?

CN, I got news for ya, the majority of the cattle farms are owned by people with less than 50 cows. Still don't understand what got CN's goat so bad. Caustic, you been having CN handle your "pet" hogs?
;-)

cypressfarms":2e2ag1ge said:
...the apparently 3 wise men, (Well, two men and a woman.)
I'd like to know who the cross-dresser is. I know Bez is all man. I know Camp is all man. That leaves you Caustic. I always knew you were kinda sissy and prissy, but......????? :lol:

Crowderfarms":17uy84eo said:
rk":17uy84eo said:
I feed Hi-Mag salt year round'. Our feed has a small amount of salt in it as well.I have it custom blended from my own specifications. I feed strictly in the Winter, and let pastures do their job the rest of the Year.I've had Cattle all my life, and myself, have never seen a salt intake as described.

Check with Pilgrims, Purnia, and SFA; I'm sure they don't sell but several thousands (mayber millions?) of tons a year all across the country. Don't think they've killed a cow with salt yet!

cypressfarms":2wj86zdr said:
There's only really two or three "members" that I've seen that acted as if they knew it all and gave advice that really seemed to not only be wrong, but extremely misleading. I don't bother to read those. (Like Tenn. cattle nuthead 57)

I've said it before, we got a lot of areas represented here. From Europe to U.S. to Australia. What works for one may not work for the other.

I've also found that for the most part you get what you give (as far as courtesy).

Not sure why you felt that you had to vent like that norris? Never saw you get hostile before.

Maybe you're one of my 5% Cypress. If so, sorry about that. Just don't enjoy be called ridiculous by someone that knows nothing about what their speaking of.

CN, You were on your "High Horse" way before I used the word "Ridiculous".Go feed your Cows, they aint' ate since last week. THATS Ridiculous! Who's the amateur here? It sure isn't me.

Norris, I know you don't think cattle will consume a pound of salt per day free choice..I think I know that. Do you think the excess salt is good for them, not good or not bad, or do you think it is harmful?

Latest posts