Cattlemen's Association

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I went to my first Cattlemen's Association meeting last night. Remember this is not cattle country, it is row crop country. The ridge I live on should not be row cropped, and most of it is not. Mostly the ridge is CRP and cattle, with our new chicken house neighbors.

There were more folks there, husbands and wives, than I expected. No special speaker or anything, just friends and neighbors getting together.

Anyway, the point I wanted to raise,, I was the youngest person there. I'm 56. One other fellow might be younger. I'd say most were 70ish.

Maybe younger folks have better things to do.

HDRider":2cwpvq43 said:
Anyway, the point I wanted to raise,, I was the youngest person there. I'm 56. One other fellow might be younger. I'd say most were 70ish.

That very well be the case. I was given a semi-load of bagged mineral a few years ago and I put out the word to all cattle people to come see me and get some free mineral. The youngest cattlemen that showed up was in his sixties. I hadn't intended to unload the whole semi-trailer myself but I wasn't about to not help these older guys load their trucks. Did get a call from two younger guys who wanted me to deliver it to them. I think if this ever happens again I'll just keep my mouth shut and unload it in the barn.

HDRider":3kyp4cfx said:
I went to my first Cattlemen's Association meeting last night. Remember this is not cattle country, it is row crop country. The ridge I live on should not be row cropped, and most of it is not. Mostly the ridge is CRP and cattle, with our new chicken house neighbors.

There were more folks there, husbands and wives, than I expected. No special speaker or anything, just friends and neighbors getting together.

We have a lot of young people at our GCA meetings. We encourage the members to bring their kids and grandkids. And our chapter also tries to combine the young farmers program into the GCA meetings. There's a good cattlemens group for young people to join, it's the Young Cattlemen Council or YCC. The best part is it's free to join, if you're between 15-40 years old. One of the heavy hitters in our state donates a registered bull to give away every year to a YCC member.
We need to get the young folks involved in all aspects of agriculture.

Ours is the same way. I could be everyone's son or grandson pretty much. I don't know what will happen to ours in a few years if some younger folks don't start taking part. It's hard to get most people my age or younger to take part or responsibility for anything. They like to enjoy the events and benefits of stuff, but won't commit to anything or pitch in. Lots of folks have ideas for stuff, but want someone else to do it. Whenever there's an event or work to be done, it's the same regulars you can count on to show up and get stuff done.

We spoke at length at our board meeting last month, about how our county association struggles to stay relevant. We have 2 annual meetings, with a sponsored dinner, and one rodeo a year. The rodeo is a huge draw. One of the biggest events in our community. Other than that, we exist in name only. BTW, I'm 45 and the second oldest person on the board. Everyone else is late 20's early 30's.

True Grit Farms":2p2xfpdf said:

This is very true. It seems like the only aspect they're interested in is selling off the land and making money. I'm working to get my 6 y/o hooked. I'm thinking about signing him up for 4H this year.

Bestoutwest":2c4ajzag said:
True Grit Farms":2c4ajzag said:

This is very true. It seems like the only aspect they're interested in is selling off the land and making money. I'm working to get my 6 y/o hooked. I'm thinking about signing him up for 4H this year.

I'm doing the same the Best. Mine is 3 months shy of 3 y/o and I take him every time its safe to. He can already steer the tractor and eats it up. He helped us work calves a couple of weeks ago. He threw away the cut off fly tags is all but he was involved which is what it takes.

We don't have a very active CA around which is a shame.

Bestoutwest":2hhctr5p said:
True Grit Farms":2hhctr5p said:

I'm the only one in my area with an interest in livestock that hasn't inherited them, I'm sure I'll have to buy out my parents somebody to not see it leave the family. Take those kids to the salebarn, thats what got me hooked at a young age being where the actions at. May even learn some real world numbers.

When I go to our meeting's I am one of the younger ones and I'm 41. It scares me as to what the future holds for the cattle industry. There are becoming less and less family farms in this area. I am one of the few full time farmers around here and it ain't easy.

Last TAMU workshop I attended the demographics discussion was that the average age of a cattlemen in Texas was 60+ with an average herd size of 30-40.
Dying way of life won't be many years and cattle are going to go the way of hogs and chickens.

We are half 24-32 then half 55+ we have a good time with a few drinks and bs. Lots young Cattle guys here, can't compete at all with crop guy. Can run cows easier after day jobs then crops I guess

My husband and I are about the oldest members in our cattlemen's association. We are in our early seventies. Had not thought of this until I started reading everyone's comments. I taught several of the members in second or third grade. We have a good many young cattlemen and I am proud of them. Not many wives come, usually two or three.

I asked my wife to go. She said go and see how many wives are there. Almost all the men were there with their wives. Cindy said she'd love to go next time.

It was a very nice group of folks.

Like Bigfoot, it is a struggle to keep the Robertson County CA relevant. In Kentucky, the County UK Extension Agent takes a lead role. Our Agent is a fine lady, she puts a tremendous effort into it.

Our membership has increased but attendance is disappointing. The event that gets the most attendance here is the annual cost share (CAIP) event. No surprise there. Money and free food. :lol2:

Margonme":2i3s3q11 said:
Like Bigfoot, it is a struggle to keep the Robertson County CA relevant. In Kentucky, the County UK Extension Agent takes a lead role. Our Agent is a fine lady, she puts a tremendous effort into it.

Our membership has increased but attendance is disappointing. The event that gets the most attendance here is the annual cost share (CAIP) event. No surprise there. Money and free food. :lol2:

We have a 100+ members and my wife calls each one every month and invites them to our GCA meeting. Getting folks involved is a tough job.

This applies to all farmers, not just cattlemen. I think it's just a statistical flaw. The young folk aren't measured because they don't own the farm, and old guys like me fill out the usda surveys.

True Grit Farms":1bzpxad1 said:

I agree. But it better be in their blood. Because there's not much of a financial incentive in the equation. Most aren't like me. I do it because I love it. Not because it's smart that's for sure :hide:

Latest posts