Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo":3porbnwl said:
options":3porbnwl said:
Chippie again you like so many others here at CT are making assumptions without knowing the facts.

Well come on and impress us with your wisdom.
Wisdom is knowing when to keep my mouth shut, many people here at CT should try it.

Angus Cowman":ewfrmd0j said:
quit being vague and we won't have to assume
You have proven in the past to be better at making assumptions than actually using facts.

dun":10lmw8wl said:
ga. prime":10lmw8wl said:
:lol2: It's a well established fact that fertilizer is useless in a desert.

Not if you have irrigation. That's why so much alfalfa is grown in the desert.
Exactly right. Irrigation is the only thing standing between the garden of Eden that is California and a dust bowl.

options":379qr550 said:
Angus Cowman":379qr550 said:
options":379qr550 said:
Chippie again you like so many others here at CT are making assumptions without knowing the facts.
Ok Options since we are all making assumptions please educate us and tell us what type of fert you are applying that you are using 28-40 tons at a time
quit being vague and we won't have to assume
Liquid sow manure.

Thank you for clarifying that. Liquid sow manure is not available in our area.

One thing is for sure (and this is not an assumption), you are full of it.

Options, I don't know what you're trying to prove, but when most people hear the term "fertilizer", they aren't thinking liquid manure. Where I come from, people call manure, "manure". We don't call manure spreaders, "ferilizer spreaders", we call them "manure spreaders". We don't call fertilizer spreaders, "manure spreaders". If I go to buy "fertilizer", I'm not given manure.

You are only putting that much weight of manure on because it is mostly water. Should I take 5 pounds of manure, mix it with 99,995 pounds of water and tell someone I put 50 tons of "fertilizer" on an acre?

djinwa":1a13pk3j said:
Options, I don't know what you're trying to prove, but when most people hear the term "fertilizer", they aren't thinking liquid manure. Where I come from, people call manure, "manure". We don't call manure spreaders, "ferilizer spreaders", we call them "manure spreaders". We don't call fertilizer spreaders, "manure spreaders". If I go to buy "fertilizer", I'm not given manure.
You might be able to convince a couple people in this here world that manure isn't fertilizer but probably not many.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/di ... fertilizer

djinwa":3t88b2jp said:
Should I take 5 pounds of manure, mix it with 99,995 pounds of water and tell someone I put 50 tons of "fertilizer" on an acre?
I'm guessing that is why they have something called an analysis for fertilizers.

chippie":28tivkdj said:
Thank you for clarifying that. Liquid sow manure is not available in our area.

One thing is for sure (and this is not an assumption), you are full of it.
Thanks for your helpfull and informative posts.

Are you sure I'm full of it or just maybe an inch thick?

Beckett":15ff53e7 said:
options":15ff53e7 said:
Where did all the fertilizer experts go?

I thought you were the fertilizer expert because you sound like you full of crap.
Thanks to you as well for providing such great positive cattle information.

I thought a unit of N P or K could come in varying weights, depending upon what type of N P or K you are buying and applying.

Longtimelurker,

I was reading this old thread and realized that the options guy in this thread sounds just like you in the holstein calf thread. Have you changed your name again?

djinwa":1aolqw2g said:
Longtimelurker,

I was reading this old thread and realized that the options guy in this thread sounds just like you in the holstein calf thread. Have you changed your name again?
Nope I have had the same name since birth.

longtimelurker":2r9y7jpp said:
I thought a unit of N P or K could come in varying weights, depending upon what type of N P or K you are buying and applying.
A unit is a pound. All pounds weigh the same.:D

ga.prime":34prlm3b said:
longtimelurker":34prlm3b said:
A unit is a pound. All pounds weigh the same.:D
But a pound is not always a unit?

A unit is a pound of pure N, P, or K. However N or any of them is almost never available nor applied as a pure elemental product. They are always a compound or mixed w liquid etc.

N for example can be applied as a liquid which is either 28% or 32% N by weight or anhydrous ammonia which is about 76% N by weight or dry urea which is somewhere about 60% N by wt though I am not sure about urea.

So it is important to think in terms of units of N rather than pounds of a compound... Jim

SRBeef":1cl8z3rh said:
A unit is a pound of pure N, P, or K. However N or any of them is almost never available nor applied as a pure elemental product. They are always a compound or mixed w liquid etc.

N for example can be applied as a liquid which is either 28% or 32% N by weight or anhydrous ammonia which is about 76% N by weight or dry urea which is somewhere about 60% N by wt though I am not sure about urea.

So it is important to think in terms of units of N rather than pounds of a compound... Jim
NH3 is 82% nitrogen and urea is 46%.

novaman":1cs3fcpt said:
SRBeef":1cs3fcpt said:

NH3 is 82% nitrogen and urea is 46%.

Thank you - I was replying from memory.

I use 28% (liquid) for my corn N. DAP (dry) for P and 0-0-60 (dry) for K. Here is an interesting page on "potash" - note it is US patent #1... http://safiles.tamu.edu/agronomy/mg/potash.htm

The DAP has about 46% of its weight in P but also 18% in N. So it supplies 18 units of N per 100 lb of DAP in addition to the 46 units of P.

FWIW Jim

Latest posts