Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":3jse3re6 said:
Thanks to everyone for there helpful tips and ensight. I appreciate everything. I love this site should have been on here sooner..

We all started somewhere. I started pretty much the way you are going at it.

backhoeboogie":1dot0y8n said:
options":1dot0y8n said:
Only at cattle today would you get replies about applying to much fertilizer without anyone ever considering the analysis of the fertilizer. It is common practice to apply anywhere from 56000 to 80000 pounds of fertilizer per acre here.

If I were you, I'd move or else get out of the cattle business.

No Joke Boogie on land that poor you couldn't raise an umbrella sitting on a sack of fertilizer.

Caustic Burno":3u3rgcnd said:
backhoeboogie":3u3rgcnd said:
options":3u3rgcnd said:
Only at cattle today would you get replies about applying to much fertilizer without anyone ever considering the analysis of the fertilizer. It is common practice to apply anywhere from 56000 to 80000 pounds of fertilizer per acre here.

No Joke Boogie on land that poor you couldn't raise an umbrella sitting on a sack of fertilizer.
My point exactly you still don't have the slightest idea what the analysis is of the fertilizer that was applied at those rates. Yet you think it must be poor soil.

chippie":55w1q4gl said:
options":55w1q4gl said:

28 to 40 tons per acre???
skep.gif
You've got to be kidding!
No chippie I'm not kidding.

backhoeboogie":1ibqpo6i said:
options":1ibqpo6i said:

Why should I move or get out of cattle?

This is a funny thread. with four acres here,.....you would need at least two more acres just to raise one cow. And fertilizing isnt something that is done on pasture. Very rare even on hayfields here. Just not very cost effective in this area.

How can you ask a question like this with no hint of where you are located?

You also missed a deimal point somewhere. How did you come up with the amount of fertilizer/lime required?

Lime and fertilizer are almost never mixed and applied together (unless you are using pell lime which is extremely expensive and only used in special cases with row crops and of little long term benefit in pastures).

Lime is almost never applied at more than 3-5 ton per acre at any one application. If more is required to raise the pH then do it in two or more applications over several years.

My suggestion is to first have a spreader truck apply a fine (80 mesh) grade of lime so at least some of it is available/effective next year. Then disc the corn stalks/bean stubble, harrow it smooth, then DRILL whatever mix you are seeding for your area. And if you are in the northern half of the US do this ASAP, right now. But if this is corn ground it won't be harvested for awhile.

And what ever pasture you end up with should not be grazed until probably late spring or early summer next year.

In any case you will be much more successful at this if you read up a bit more or better yet meet with a knowledgeable neighbor or your county agent before you waste a lot of time and money. Good luck.

Jim

grubbie":323z3by6 said:
This is a funny thread. with four acres here,.....you would need at least two more acres just to raise one cow. And fertilizing isnt something that is done on pasture. Very rare even on hayfields here. Just not very cost effective in this area.

Pasture management varies from place to place. Many hay producers in our area fertilize their fields and people with smaller acreage fertilize too.

options":2zw8aqq9 said:
chippie":2zw8aqq9 said:
options":2zw8aqq9 said:

28 to 40 tons per acre???
skep.gif
You've got to be kidding!
No chippie I'm not kidding.

At your rate of 28 to 40 tons per acre, you would be spreading fertilizer over an inch thick.

options, where are you located?

Chippie again you like so many others here at CT are making assumptions without knowing the facts.

options":3kt5f18y said:
Chippie again you like so many others here at CT are making assumptions without knowing the facts.
Ok Options since we are all making assumptions please educate us and tell us what type of fert you are applying that you are using 28-40 tons at a time
quit being vague and we won't have to assume

grubbie":2xpl2d38 said:
:lol2: It's a well established fact that fertilizer is useless in a desert.

ga. prime":3fuh2trk said:
grubbie":3fuh2trk said:
I'll second that. :shock:

1982vett":24lveagr said:
ga. prime":24lveagr said:
grubbie":24lveagr said:
I'll second that. :shock:
Not if you have irrigation. That's why so much alfalfa is grown in the desert.

Angus Cowman":1mbotmdo said:
options":1mbotmdo said:
Ok Options since we are all making assumptions please educate us and tell us what type of fert you are applying that you are using 28-40 tons at a time
quit being vague and we won't have to assume
Liquid sow manure.

chippie":334mzeqf said:
At your rate of 28 to 40 tons per acre, you would be spreading fertilizer over an inch thick.
Again Chippie your are assuming. Fertilizing with the liquid sow manure at 40 tons per acre would be the same as slightly more than 3/10 inch of rain.

Latest posts