Cattle Underpasses

Help Support CattleToday:

drl

Reaction score
Anyone on here have any experience in putting in a cattle underpass? We have a home farm where we calve and AI of 80 acres and across the road we have 150 acre rotational grazing system we are setting up this year. I was thinking that an underpass would be really handy since there is a corner and a hill nearby that would make it a little dangerous to run cattle across the road and I don't have labor available all the time to help do that when needed. I have asked around to local NRCS and ag extension agents and they said to just talk to the township. I got a feeling I will just get a big no. I have seen for other states laws in place where you have to allow them but I don't know cost or if they have to allow you to. I live in Wisconsin if anyone has any experience there. Cost of materials? Installation?...?

It's really hard to justify the expense on a small block of land.
The district councils here would like everyone to have them... to the point where in the future it may be required if you're farming two sides of a road.
You could go back to your ext agents, ask who can do the job locally and contact them for a rough estimate of costs and time, even before you approach township.

If you decide against there's probably enough people on here to trade tips and near misses on crossing cattle... I had 1/4 of the land on one of my dairy farms across the road and a badly positioned crossing, but not as bad as one I drove across the other day when I literally saw the dung on the road about four metres before driving over it, the crossing was at the top of a hill that was totally blind from one side and almost blind on the other.

Seems the simple answer might be a cattle crossing sign. At least to warn drivers. Add in only crossing the road at the lowest travel time of day. But them again common sense is over rated.

some farmers here put an orange light on a pole, hook it up to a car battery when using the crossing. As long as it doesn't get run over or stolen...

What type of road are you going to have to tear up? Dirt, asphalt, concrete? Is it a county road or state road? Makes a huge difference.

I'll give you a good example. It cost me about $2400 to drop some 6' pipe under a county road but to run a 1.5 inch pipe under a state road it was going to cost me $3000 assuming I jump through all the hoops to get the permits. Instead, I felt it simpler to just go to the expense of digging another deep well than have to talk to a bunch of imbiciles. If the county road is paved then it is going to increase by about 8 times. God help you if the county got state or federal aid when they built it cause those strings don't come off very easy.

I know of one fellow that that has 2 underpasses. The State re-routed a highway trough his property and cut off a section of it and was required by law to give him direct access to it without him having to cross or be on the highway. They also built all the new fencing required.

I think you should apply to the Federal government for a grant to study the effects of underpasses on cattle. Use the money to build a couple and in a couple of years tell the Feds that you think they like em, or better yet tell em that your cattle were traumatized by them and you need compensation for their neurosis, and maybe a new Dodge 2500 and a Featherlite trailer to haul them to the cow shrink!

They are expensive, but depending on the terrain, might be easy. I work on a ranch in MT where we used them aften. The original ones were 7ft diameter culverts. When the HWY got redone, they put in 14 Diameter ones. We could drive our loaded semi through it. Cows moved easier through the larger one too.

Jogeephus
Did you consider pushing the 1 1/2" pipe under the county road? I probably would be guilty of praying for forgiveness rather than pleading for permission.

Latest posts