Cattle Taken in Central Texas After 17 Head Found Dead

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt

Reaction score
More than 300 head of cattle were taken on Friday, Feb. 9, from an owner in Central Texas after 17 head were found dead. It states that another 30 head may have to be put down because they are in such poor condition.

It states that most of the cattle are Texas longhorns. It is difficult to starve a Texas longhorn. It does not explain what happened. The only thing I can think of is that the cattle must have been in a pen without access to food. If the cattle had access to land they should have been able to find things to eat.

A hearing will be held Feb. 16 to decide if the owner will get his cattle returned. What do you think should happen?

http://www.wfaa.com/life/pets/15-cattle ... /516736501

Bigfoot":1ee4rz6b said:
The ones you could see on the news report looked fine to me.

Some of the cattle looked thin. There were also 17 dead cattle found.

I didn't think the cattle looked that bad.
Percentage wise it would be comparable to a herd of 30 having 2 dead.
There's a little history of the Hill county sheriff's department seizing livestock as well. I'm guessing the guy had a run of bad luck. Maybe bad management. and someone turned him in. Regardless their his cows. Not the countys.

callmefence":3af4dx8w said:
There's a little history of the Hill county sheriff's department seizing livestock as well. I'm guessing the guy had a run of bad luck. Maybe bad management. and someone turned him in. Regardless their his cows. Not the countys.

Hill county enough said right there.

cows look in pretty good shape for longhorns. they are a big boney cow.. no matter how much feed you put in them.

Look at the picture of them with the hay bale. Some aren't even interested in it..

i bought my last farm off a guy with a bunch of longhorns on it. seems like one would die about once a week from something.

From NAT:

'Sad situation not too far from me. Several folks wondering why it took so long for something like this to happen as been going on for years. About a month ago saw county animal control truck at one of the gates going into this place and wondered what was going on. Guess this answers that question. Since are mostly longhorns won't fit my program. Believe it or not I do follow certain standards for the cows I buy and longhorn and corriente's are on the forbidden list. Years ago this outfit had 2 separate herds. 1 herd was nice black cattle and other was longhorns but last few years they have all running together so lots of mongrels now. Just heard on a different channel that an arrest warrant is expected for the woman who is owner.'

History of problems, piles of deads, no feed, colder than usual.. Yeah thats gonna add up.

Problem is there's no money in those cows. I buy cows that are as bad or worse than those on a regular basis. All a good thin cow needs is feed a worming and you can turn her around and make a few dollars. Those longhorns you can turn around but you ain't gonna make nothing off of them.

What should happen?

The owner should be a little more introspective and decide whether or nor she's up to attending to the needs of the herd ... then be willing to sell off the ones that can't do their job so she might be have the resources to take care of the ones who can / should be able to do their job.

And, if she's not up to it, she should sell the cattle and lease her grass and facilities to someone else or sell the place and get something more manageable.

And if she's unwilling or unable to be more introspective, the law enforcement officers need to decide whether or not she's broken any laws, and if so, then remedies need to be pursued.

And if she doesn't like the laws, she needs to hey them changed.

Supa Dexta":qv5hwmuh said:
From NAT:

'Sad situation not too far from me. Several folks wondering why it took so long for something like this to happen as been going on for years. About a month ago saw county animal control truck at one of the gates going into this place and wondered what was going on. Guess this answers that question. Since are mostly longhorns won't fit my program. Believe it or not I do follow certain standards for the cows I buy and longhorn and corriente's are on the forbidden list. Years ago this outfit had 2 separate herds. 1 herd was nice black cattle and other was longhorns but last few years they have all running together so lots of mongrels now. Just heard on a different channel that an arrest warrant is expected for the woman who is owner.'

History of problems, piles of deads, no feed, colder than usual.. Yeah thats gonna add up.

Near where in Hill county?

callmefence":2a78x4pt said:

Are you saying the Hill County Sheriff's Department seizes cattle so they can sell them and make money for the sheriff's department?

Not enough information and once you involve a humane society every thing is suspect.

Allenw":gdsmuxyy said:
Not enough information and once you involve a humane society every thing is suspect.

From what I read, the Hill County Sheriff's Department called the Humane Society to help transport the cattle.

Hopefully more information will come out soon.

You'd need to mortgage a farm,, to put extra flesh on a longhorn..you see one with plenty of cover, you can bet it's spent a lot of time at the bunk..

Bigfoot":i0ug8w67 said:
The ones you could see on the news report looked fine to me.
What I was thinking Bigfoot. Look like typical longhorns. I've seen them with less conditioning go through sale barns down here.

The owner will get a black eye, that sale barn will make a fortune off of taking care of them and some vet will hit a home run by charging a fortune for checking every cow/calf (which won't happen). Then somebody will get some dirt cheap cattle.

Bullitt":lx3rq9vl said:
callmefence":lx3rq9vl said:

Are you saying the Hill County Sheriff's Department seizes cattle so they can sell them and make money for the sheriff's department?

No I said there's history of them seizing livestock.
I also said the cows looked ok to me.
I also said that 17 dead out of 300 is not that extraordinary. Especially when you can bet every old pile of bones they found on hundreds of acres was counted as a dead. even if year's old. They seized them and hauled them to the sale barn. They coulda hauled in some hay cheaper and less stressful on the cattle. Maybe sat down and talked to the woman about selling some...but since they've called her a hoarder she must be. And the poor neighbor who ACTUALLY SAW A DEAD COW... the horror. Let's see if the county doesn't end up dropping charges in exchange for forfeiture of the herd.

Best thread we've had in a while.

You know cattle starve to death every day, with a hay roll in front of them.

I think Alabama said it best, you just about can't fatten some LH cattle.

Lots less people with cattle in my area now, than it was say 30 years ago. Used to see a bunch of cattle winter hard. You go snooping around, and you'll find a bunch of herds just like that one.

TB is right to. Lotta money will trade hands on that deal.

Latest posts