Cattle Structure

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This is a good site for describing what to look for in judging cattle to purchase or those to keep as replacements. It goes into a bit more detail with pictures, and I enjoyed reading it. I thought I would share it with everyone.
It is in pdf. , as that prevents me from posting the entire article. So, I can only post the site.

http://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/MP-398.pdf

Thanks, Chuckie. I spent a lot of years with horses and hosted warmblood/sporthorse inspections so I understand the importance of structure, but my eye hasn't been developed for cow conformation. I am going to print this out and review.

Michael

I'm not sure that I agree with the description of figure 18 at all. Bull is not deep bodied or very heavy muscled. Good info all together but not necessarily gospel worthy.

The figure 18 bull doesn't look very old; but old enough that he has some of the biggest forearms I have seen on a bull.
I would like to see a good picture of that bull, and from the side. He is extremely wide, but he needs more rib and barrel.
He looks like a typical terminal bull that doesn't show any fat. Seems the majority have a smaller rib cage, smaller gut, and the butt has shrunk.
They show more muscling through the loins, rib cage, shoulders, neck, legs.
I still prefer the big gutted, big butted bulls but they normally don't have the highest EPD's either. But I bought the opposite. :roll:

Thanks for posting this.

It would have been great if they'd have discussed the related structural issues that might explain what one sees in the photo. For example ...

In Figure 8, they describe a post-legged steer. Why is it this way? Is it because the croup is too flat, or maybe because the femur is too short? Or, maybe there is some other explanation.

Figure 10 ... is that the normal stance of the animal in question? Or, maybe the animal was just feeling lazy and had pulled its feet up underneath it. Is it sickle-hocked, or just simply a point-in-time representation of the animal in question? I always thought that you can't judge whether or not an animal is sickle hocked unless the top of their hock is in the proper position, and the animal in this picture isn't positioned properly to determine whether or not it's sickle-hocked. Said another way, if this particular animal moved its front feet forward 6-9", I think you'd get a better idea of whether or not this animal was truly sickle-hocked. As it is now, I'm more likely to think that it was just in a lazy stance and not necessarily sickle-hocked.

Figure 12 ... growing animals will toe-in or toe-out at different points of their life as the chest and shoulders grow and change in proportion to one another, and overall weight and weight distribution can affect the way the growing animal carries itself (and therefore whether or not the toes point in or out). Toes in/out can only really be accurately judged in a mature animal. I have a hard time holding a little east/west against a youngster. Judging against a mature animal is a whole other story.

figure 13 ... cow-hocked is often related to the tilt of the pelvis and the exact nature of the hip socket and how the femur head and the socket interact ... without looking into the nature of the movement of the animal, determining the cause of cow-hocked structure is difficult.

Figure 18 ... to me, he looks like he'd have a poor meat:bone ratio.

Anyhow, I wish they would have shed additional light as to the WHY we're seeing what we're seeing.

Thanks again for posting.

This article could have contained a lot more information, but it had a few points that people rarely discuss and that is the girth of the animal. They drew lines on the cattle as well to give people more of an idea what to look for. Usually when they write an article about this subject, they don't draw the lines and it can leave the people looking and still not be sure what they are talking about. That is the part that I liked. To show a less desired animal vs. a desirable one.

This could have been an exceptional article with more information, I do agree. It would not be that difficult of an article to write for those that know their cattle. It might be a good project for someone here to do. I would enjoy looking at it.

I think drawing lines on the animals and comparing them to one another can give an untrained eye, a better idea of what to compare. Even pictures with tilted hook to pins, etc..........

So many people here could gain knowledge from a more advanced article like this.