cattle shelters

Help Support CattleToday:

Dean I don't have a picture but most lumber yards sell a 3 sided "loafing shed" package. Sutherlands had theirs priced around $1300 last spring. I've wondered about those $600 carports. Are there sawmills around you? You can use slab wood over a wooden frame and get by pretty cheap.

msscamp those are nice looking facilities :cboy:(turn up volume to hear appreciative wolf whistles)

Here are photos of 2 of our Loafing Sheds. The smaller one is 12 x 12', 8 ft high in front, sloping to 7 ft in back. Cost about $850.

Larger one 25 x 30', 7' high at openings, 10' high center peak, has three separate "sheds" separated by pipe fence dividers. Cost about $5,000.

0c4c3926.jpg

af5d54ec.jpg

Dean, the next shelter I build will be with smaller doors just so that I can decrease the amonut of light that comes in. Seems the horseflies do not like darkness and will not chew on cows when light is limited. We have an old barn that is dark inside and when I go looking for the cattle, I cannot see them inside the barn unless they come closer to the door. They will stand there in the heat of the day and chew their cuds while the horseflies find other animals to chew on. I think a squirrel cage fan rigged to run across their backs will also keep the floors dry and also helps to rid the flies since they like still air.

Dean the hobby farmer":1qkmnd9f said:
Does anyone have any pictures of low price cattle shelters that is used on the family farm.Thanks Dean :D

Dean - you are from Nova Scotis. I would suspect there is an ample supply of cedar and tamarack somewhere near by.

Knock a few big ones down for corner posts - cut up some smaller ones for rafters - do not bother to saw them - just shape the ends and lay the poles out - hammer it all together - find some used tin for the roof.

I have one that is about 32 feet wide by 16 feet deep - front is about 12 feet high and back is about 6 feet. Stay away from those low slope jobs you see here on the web - you - like me can get FAR too much snow aqnd you are looking at a cave in.

I have almost 300 invested in mine - will try to get a pic of it some day.

I did the whole thing with a chainsaw and a framing hammer - some sheet metal screws for the roof and a bunch of 4 inch nails.

Just put the open side to the south and forget about wind, rain and snow - it just never seems to get inside.

Bez'

dj":3t8098xo said:
Dean I don't have a picture but most lumber yards sell a 3 sided "loafing shed" package. Sutherlands had theirs priced around $1300 last spring. I've wondered about those $600 carports. Are there sawmills around you? You can use slab wood over a wooden frame and get by pretty cheap.

msscamp those are nice looking facilities :cboy:(turn up volume to hear appreciative wolf whistles)

Thanks, dj. Bill, nice set-up you have there!

Campground Cattle":24xbmuro said:
Five acres of pine saplings best shelter and the good Lord build it.

I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, all of us are not that lucky.

Latest posts