cattle prods

Help Support CattleToday:

Had this same discussion with another longhorn breeder this past weekend.

He was amazed that we don't ever use prods on our cattle. He wanted to see just how we went about it, and was invited to the house to see how we work ours.

He was even more amazed when he got there, and all the cows came when called, and went where I ask them to go.

Lots of strong opinions about hot shots on the board. If you choose to not use them, thats good. I use one sparingly as a tool for working cattle. Does that make me an inferior cattle handler? Ignorant? I don't think so. Looks to me to be a humane tool when used properly.PVC and fiberglass rods don't feel too great either.

Alice":1n95bk51 said:
I've written this before, and I'm gonna write it again...so deal with it.

Alice

That is a good leading sentence to get things off to a good start. As they taught us in Journalism 101 it will grab the reader and make them anxious to read the rest of the story. NOT!

But it is a good lead to getting a thread locked though. ;-)

Don't own a cattle prod, but most of my cows are ex show heifers and work pretty easy. I did have one cow hard to load once going to Stock Yards and I would have paid 100.00 for one for that one cow.

But I can imagine some operations, with some corral systems, with certain experienced cattle Man could find a cattle prod a handy tool. I have twisted tails and pushed on cows for what seemed like 30 minutes to get in a chute. I could not imagine doing this with a full time operation needing to work hundreds not a Handful in a day.

I picture a cattle person, using one much like electric fence training. Once they have had it a couple times it might not be necessary to use it that much. Like some others mentioned a zap noise or a poke with out the juice will work once they are trained to it.

aplusmnt":f9h965s2 said:
Alice":f9h965s2 said:

Alice

That is a good leading sentence to get things off to a good start. As they taught us in Journalism 101 it will grab the reader and make them anxious to read the rest of the story. NOT!

But it is a good lead to getting a thread locked though. ;-)

:roll: ;-)

Alice

I buy calves that I can turn a profit on. Most of these calves I have no idea where they came from. Some of these have not ever saw a holding pen or been around people. When they get to a tight place in the chute some of them will balk. I ain't got time to read them a storybook or invite them to dinner. I use a prod to let them decide for themselves if they are happier standing here or going there. No I don't use it often. After a few weeks on my place most of them come to a feed bucket. I will still have the unusual one from time to time with a burr up its butt. I have one now that won't get within a hundred yards of anybody. It stays out of the feedpens. I will be selling it in about a month. Why did I keep this heifer.? I will make a good profit on her, thats my bottom line. I expect a showdown come loadout time. I will probally use the prod, theres a place and time to use them. Why do you think the salebarns use them. Time is the factor. Ever wandered how they keep a steady stream of em in the ring. If the didn't use them there would be long pauses between some cattle coming into the ring. Watch someone load a big truck. There will be a prod laying close by. They may not use it but if you need it won't no amount of sweettalking take its place. Time is money, waiting for a cow to get over its personality complex can get expensive. I'm all for working them slow and easy if they allow. If they don't wantta go that route the prod fits the bill. Cattle balking in chutes then suddenly backing up or trying to go over the top can get someone hurt. A tap with a prod on the ignort one is a lot less cruel on the others behind the balking one. Keep them moving and you will see a lot less stress.

Bama":2euixfc9 said:
I buy calves that I can turn a profit on. Most of these calves I have no idea where they came from. Some of these have not ever saw a holding pen or been around people. When they get to a tight place in the chute some of them will balk. I ain't got time to read them a storybook or invite them to dinner. I use a prod to let them decide for themselves if they are happier standing here or going there. No I don't use it often. After a few weeks on my place most of them come to a feed bucket. I will still have the unusual one from time to time with a burr up its butt. I have one now that won't get within a hundred yards of anybody. It stays out of the feedpens. I will be selling it in about a month. Why did I keep this heifer.? I will make a good profit on her, thats my bottom line. I expect a showdown come loadout time. I will probally use the prod, theres a place and time to use them. Cattle balking in chutes then suddenly backing up or trying to go over the top can get someone hurt. A tap with a prod on the ignort one is a lot less cruel on the others behind the balking one. Keep them moving and you will see a lot less stress.

I just sold a high headed heifer like that! She had a brand, and wanted nothing to do with a chute or a corral or a four wheeler.
There is a place for prods. Less then 10% of the cattle I buy need more than a paddle raddle to move them through the chute.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I will use a catle prod. I use a sorting stick to sort the cattle, but find the prod helpful when loading the chute or getting on the trailer. Do not need it often and sometimes just the sound of the buzz or me making a buzzing sound will work.

Does anyone use their dogs to load difficult cattle?

My female Blue Heeler was just as good as any cattle prod. Once we had a steer that just flat didn't want to go in the trailer, even tried to sit down with his front legs braced against the trailer - one command to the dog to "MOVE HIM" and she was on him like a bee. Between her barks and snapping jaws, that steer jumped in the trailer to get away from her.

Alice":1sdg1kr9 said:

One of the sale barns in Stephenville...the guy that's responsible for unloading and loading cattle and running the cattle in and out of the ring will fire anyone caught using a cattle prod on a heifer or cow from the time they are unloaded until they are loaded...right after he whips their a$$es...end of story...and he doesn't care who agrees with him. He's been there for 30 years...

Alice

Well they sure have changed in the last 15 years as they were popping them right and left then. I have been to both those barns and in the working pens and a hotshot was in use.

Caustic Burno":1jvg2kaa said:
Alice":1jvg2kaa said:

One of the sale barns in Stephenville...the guy that's responsible for unloading and loading cattle and running the cattle in and out of the ring will fire anyone caught using a cattle prod on a heifer or cow from the time they are unloaded until they are loaded...right after he whips their a$$es...end of story...and he doesn't care who agrees with him. He's been there for 30 years...

Alice

Well they sure have changed in the last 15 years as they were popping them right and left then. I have been to both those barns and in the working pens and a hotshot was in use.

15 years makes a big difference...especially at the one on 377.

I will clarify...the man I'm talking about has worked for the owner for 30+ years...which is as long as the owner's been in the auction barn business. How cattle were handled 15 years ago at their sale barns, I have no idea...guess they learned, however, 'cause a hot shot is not used on heifers and cows...ever.

Alice

Alice":1trk864q said:
Caustic Burno":1trk864q said:
Alice":1trk864q said:

Alice

I will clarify...the man I'm talking about has worked for the owner for 30+ years...which is as long as the owner's been in the auction barn business. How cattle were handled 15 years ago at their sale barns, I have no idea...guess they learned, however, 'cause a hot shot is not used on heifers and cows...ever.

Alice

I don't believe that one little bit Salebarns are in the business of making money and moving cattle not playing with them. You get a sulled 2000 pound bulled in the holding pens that is headed for Alpo they are not sweet talking him in to moving.
I think you have someone blowing smoke up your dress to make you feel good.

Caustic Burno":1rpqwytk said:
Alice":1rpqwytk said:
Caustic Burno":1rpqwytk said:
Alice":1rpqwytk said:

Alice

Alice

I don't believe that one little bit Salebarns are in the business of making money and moving cattle not playing with them. You get a sulled 2000 pound bulled in the holding pens that is headed for Alpo they are not sweet talking him in to moving.

:roll: If by "bulled" you mean bull, then reread what I wrote...I said heifers and cows.

Oh, and believe me...my brother doesn't blow smoke anywhere toward me to make me feel good...in fact, he'd do just the opposite just to get a reaction. My brother has worked that sale many times at the request of the man I am speaking about and is this man's good friend. Now, you wanna call him a liar...hey, ya' feel froggy, leap.

Alice

the fewer the people, the less excitement the better, i use an old whip that my daddy had, i guess its some kind of fiberglass/plastic stuff for the 3 feet thats hard, and it has about 2 foot of the whippy dangly part. i just tap, shake, flop it what ever and it works rather well. we do have a hot shot, and we have used it, not alot, here while back we got it out for this one crazy steer, i let the long neck slide down through my hand to set it against the fence, and it had a little wire sticking out of it, and it sure got my attention, out came the elect tape. id rather slap a butt, twist a tail, poke em with the whip end, but i dont mind the hot shot either, what ever it takes to get er done.
easy and calm is the best way to move anything thats alive and breathing, ....and is bigger than you.
samm

Alice":yv5s8wgd said:
Caustic Burno":yv5s8wgd said:
Caustic Burno":yv5s8wgd said:

Alice

Alice

:roll: If by "bulled" you mean bull, then reread what I wrote...I said heifers and cows.

Oh, and believe me...my brother doesn't blow smoke anywhere toward me to make me feel good...in fact, he'd do just the opposite just to get a reaction. My brother has worked that sale many times at the request of the man I am speaking about and is this man's good friend. Now, you wanna call him a liar...hey, ya' feel froggy, leap.

Alice

Well I feel froggy and he is a liar then or that barn aint moving more than a few head. Alice quit trying to BS a bunch of cattlemen a salebarn that is moving thousands of head cattle are not back there playing with them. And you took the bait as any cattleman knows, those cows are in strange surroundings after what has been there first ride and they are high headed.
Also anyone that has worked cows will tell you a heartbeat give me that old big slow bull that is mad over a mad cow. A crazy yearling calf is worse than both of them put together .

Tail twisting must be an art form. We haacow that no matter how much I crank on her tail she balks at the chute until she's ready to walk in. The last time we worked them, 2 others besides myself twisted her tail and she just stood there. One guy reached over and just grabbed the tail and she shot into the chute, usually she just walks in at her own speed. I saw him have the same success with a couple of others that the rest of us couldn;t move.

dun

i average being at 2 sales a week, where they move 2500 ++ head thru the ring in about 30-45 seconds per transaction. time is money to these folks an animal that balks is losing them money,
so it would seem unlikely that a barn would not use one to move it along. unless like caustic said they only move a few head thru and are not interested in making money

i do own one seldom use it but will if necessary, all the cattlemen that i associate have them and use them when necessary, no one uses them excessivly but when needed they are a tool like anyother tool any cattleman might use,

Caustic Burno":2aenrnv8 said:
Alice":2aenrnv8 said:

Alice

Alice

Alice

Well I feel froggy and he is a liar then or that barn aint moving more than a few head. Alice quit trying to BS a bunch of cattlemen a salebarn that is moving thousands of head cattle are not back there playing with them. And you took the bait as any cattleman knows, those cows are in strange surroundings after what has been there first ride and they are high headed.
Also anyone that has worked cows will tell you a heartbeat give me that old big slow bull that is mad over a mad cow. A crazy yearling calf is worse than both of them put together .

I sure don't want get between you two, but I agree with CB about the mad cow and crazy yearling. But I don't think you will stop either one with a cattle prod or a 2x4 either.

Ron

Please forgive me, Mr. Burno...I continue to forget my place...it's always your mouth to God's ear.

Alice

Latest posts