cattle prods

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND":24nojqiu said:
I was at the local sale barn Saturday and they use prods all the time and they can turn the best cows into a TERROR on 4 legs.

I've told this before so forgive me, but I saw the same thing at the first sale I went to looking to buy. I had my eye on a really nice black cow/calf pair as soon as they unloaded. I watched them sort her away from the calf and she became nervous. Over the next three hours she was moved from sorting pen to sorting pen and finally to the chute to be preg checked. Each time she was hit repeatedly with the electric prod and by the time she went into the ring she was climbing the rails and charging the handlers. I and most others passed on her that day and she sold (with calf at side) for less than $700. Looking back and with a little more experience, I am sure her handling cost the seller major dollars and I would buy her at that price in a heartbeat. If she didn't calm down she could have been sold for slaughter and the calf alone would get most of my money back in a few months. I'm no fan of electric prods. I lure them into the pen with feed and move them by standing in different places or by tapping them with fiberglass pole. My holding pen is small and in almost every case I can straddle the fence and get them to go where I need them without ever entering the pen. So far no problem. If one becomes a problem, she'll need to go.

We also use the 4' fiberglass poles, get ours from valley vets or free at the cattle expos if I can talk dealers out of them.

Seems like most people are opposed to the use of a hot shot but I think it has its place when used properly. We have one, only time it is used is when cows lock up in the alley and refuse to move. They get tapped a couple times with the stick and a tail twist, then if they refuse to move a little zap to the butt gets em moving every time. I'd rather not do it, but it's just as humane as beating the snot out of a cow with a stick and breaking her tail.

cfpinz

I use a 4 foot fibreglass fence rod that cost 99 cents at the feed store to prod the cattle most of the time. I do have a hot shot which I use occasionally and judiciously. I almost never use it on a hot cow as it will tend to heat things up. It mostly gets used on slow tame cows that you can't get to move using all the other tricks. Even then there is a difference between a quick little jolt when they are facing the right direction and just frying them which accomplishes nothing.
Dave

People that use hotshots do not know anything about moving cattle. My favorite are the ones that say they use it in case a mean one takes them. If someone thinks that a hotshot will stop a cow bent on your destruction, they are sadly deluded.
Learn how to work cattle. If someone was using a hotshot on my cattle, I might be tempted to take it away from them and try it out on them. :)

As a side note: If someone breaks out a prod while our vet is there to work the cattle he packs up his bags and leaves.

dun

KMacGinley":1f1lri97 said:
People that use hotshots do not know anything about moving cattle. My favorite are the ones that say they use it in case a mean one takes them. If someone thinks that a hotshot will stop a cow bent on your destruction, they are sadly deluded.
Learn how to work cattle. If someone was using a hotshot on my cattle, I might be tempted to take it away from them and try it out on them. :)

Well I guess I don't know how then, there is a pasture full of salebarn girls that would let you instruct them. Just give me time to sell the tickets and set up the concession stand.

KMacGinley":10nr0zwr said:

While I agree that a hotshot will not protect from a hell-bent cow, I disagree with your statement of anyone using a hot-shot not knowing how to work cattle. As with anything else in life, a hot shot must be used only when necessary and in moderation. If you go out and zap every cow everytime you get near them, you're a moron. But if old Bessie is hold up in the chute and refuses to move with reasonable pressure, a little bite in the arse works wonders.

cfpinz

I use an old broom handle for a sorting stick.
The only time I use a hotshot is when loading them to go to the sale barn.

I hate using a hot shot, but if that cow won't move in the chutes - I press the prongs on her butt. She has a few seconds to move before I hit the button. Now, they all know when they feel those prongs, they better move.

I have loaded roping steers into the chute by just buzzing it in the air behind them. They would move away from the sound. Of course they had been buzzed before.

Dave

I bought my first hotshot the other day. I've always used sorting poles and PVC pipe, but this time I was loading cows and calves in the trailer from a 12 foot wide alley by myself. All went well, no wrecks and the prod made it possible. But even at that, I used it sparingly and gave the cattle time to sort things out. I've seen calves go down in a chute and refuse to get up with yelling, using sticks, and twisting tails. A zap to the butt works every time. I think they have their place, but it shouldn't be the primary way to move cattle.

dun":2w5i95wb said:
As a side note: If someone breaks out a prod while our vet is there to work the cattle he packs up his bags and leaves.

dun

Is that because he can't demonstrate or request how to do it properly?? Is that what he did when he needed our money to pay his bills?

What a load of crap. Prods are a tool, and a humane one when used properly.

You are misleading the new folks dun, they don't have established herds of "known ladies" and tweaked handling systems.

No prod will ever stop an angry animal, but I have seen an animal threatening to get angry decide to move away when it saw the yellow stick and heard the buzz.

My electric fence carries a LOT more electricity than a prod, but I guess because I didn't actually administer the shock that makes it more "humane".

If I had people there to work, and the cattle ready to go through, and your vet showed up but decided to leave because there was a prod, tell him to prepare for a size 12 suppository if he wasn't quick enough leaving the farm!

AngusLimoX":3814wx6u said:
dun":3814wx6u said:

dun

Is that because he can't demonstrate or request how to do it properly?? Is that what he did when he needed our money to pay his bills?

What a load of crap. Prods are a tool, and a humane one when used properly.

You are misleading the new folks dun, they don't have established herds of "known ladies" and tweaked handling systems.

No prod will ever stop an angry animal, but I have seen an animal threatening to get angry decide to move away when it saw the yellow stick and heard the buzz.

My electric fence carries a LOT more electricity than a prod, but I guess because I didn't actually administer the shock that makes it more "humane".

If I had people there to work, and the cattle ready to go through, and your vet showed up but decided to leave because there was a prod, tell him to prepare for a size 12 suppository if he wasn't quick enough leaving the farm!

His reeeasoning is because he's been hurt worse and more often by yahoo prodding thr snot out of the cattle. It's dangerous enough of a job with cattle that are workable. Lunatics just increases the odds of getting hurt. But he is one of those odd vets that gets in and works the cattle right along side of the owner, he doesn;t sit back and wait for them to be brought to him.
BTW, he's pretty selective about his clients and rarely takes on any new ones. He's busy enough that he doesn;t have to put up with BS that he doesn;t like.

dun

dun":2t7jre7q said:
His reeeasoning is because he's been hurt worse and more often by yahoo prodding thr snot out of the cattle. It's dangerous enough of a job with cattle that are workable. Lunatics just increases the odds of getting hurt. But he is one of those odd vets that gets in and works the cattle right along side of the owner, he doesn;t sit back and wait for them to be brought to him.
BTW, he's pretty selective about his clients and rarely takes on any new ones. He's busy enough that he doesn;t have to put up with BS that he doesn;t like.

dun

You know I respect the heck out of you dun, and I know you and your vet are friends, but my vet also works the cattle, and if it takes a tap with the prod to convince one to hop in the chute, then quite often SHE taps them.

And talking of BS, seen it lots of times with large herd guys using their little tricks to move balkers. Not for discussion on an internet board.

I've written this before, and I'm gonna write it again...so deal with it.

One of the sale barns in Stephenville...the guy that's responsible for unloading and loading cattle and running the cattle in and out of the ring will fire anyone caught using a cattle prod on a heifer or cow from the time they are unloaded until they are loaded...right after he whips their a$$es...end of story...and he doesn't care who agrees with him. He's been there for 30 years...

Alice

We use pvc pipe or sticks but then we raise Lim's

They seem to like it.

dun":3e612c28 said:

dun

I don't blame him.

Latest posts