cattle prods

Help Support CattleToday:

CyberSnooze

Reaction score
Here's a newbie question.
I am getting ready to "work" my 20 cows for the first time. Should I buy a cattle prod?
What kind should I buy?
What strength and length?
Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated!
Thanks!
C.S.

I have a cattle prod but "almost" never use it.
I think I have used it once and that cow went to the salebarn.
No, a prod is not the best way to work cattle. Work your cattle slow and easy. Yopu don't want to get them excited.
I say leave the prod in the truck.

CyberSnooze":1inphhr7 said:
Here's a newbie question.
I am getting ready to "work" my 20 cows for the first time. Should I buy a cattle prod?
What kind should I buy?
What strength and length?
Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated!
Thanks!
C.S.

It depends on the cows. We don't use them. Even our local sale barn has pretty well quit using them. But if you have really rank cows that are man hunters, you might need one. We've found that quiet and easy works best with our cattle.

We just use 4 foot sorting sticks. A tap on the but ones in a while (the cows not ours) and if one is looking to turn away just putting it in front of them turns them back. But thse are well adjusted cows, not jumpers, chargers, snorters, etc.

dun

dun":c5z6jip8 said:
We just use 4 foot sorting sticks. A tap on the but ones in a while (the cows not ours) and if one is looking to turn away just putting it in front of them turns them back. But thse are well adjusted cows, not jumpers, chargers, snorters, etc.

dun
Us too

I've found it useful when getting calves into the trailer to take them to the sale barn. Since I'm always alone, it helps to have that extra encouragement for the to jump into the trailer.

I hardly ever use it on the cows. However, I used to have a crazy cow and she's the reason I bought the prod in the first place.

Mine is a 36 inch flexible prod. Usually carry it in the truck but don't use it much when I mess with the cows.

If you are very new to cattle or don't know you cattle very well, I'd say get one just in case you get that crazy cow that will run you over. Once you know you cattle and they know you, there will probably not be a need for a prod.

Andrew

I can walk behind mine down the alley, the secret is not putting to much pressure on them and a cattle prod only adds to your problem. I use to have problems in my sweep, they could see me behind the sweep gate and always wound up with one going down the alley backwards. I solved that problem by putting a tarp on the sweep gate and raising it above my head to keep them from seeing me.

I was at the local sale barn Saturday and they use prods all the time and they can turn the best cows into a TERROR on 4 legs.

The best thing we have used after trying them all is those shaker paddles that make lots of noise but don't hurt when you swat them. The noise does more to make them move than any prod.

Don't use prods. We quit shipping with one hauler (as many other people around here have) because he had no patience and was brutally excessive with the cattle prod. The other local hauler only uses a cattle prod to load after he has tried everything else. Put a cattle prod in a young man's hands and he is incapable of handling cattle for life. Twist tails, shout, slap em on the ass or on the back.....just don't use a prod.

I fully agree with Dun on the cattle prod. I use a 4 foot cattle stick that costs 10 dollars at a farm store or is sometime given away. A hickory sprout stick will work also. I do not swing and hit the cattle. I use the stick to tap the cattle or if they turn I put the point toward them and they usually turn, if not, I push the point against the skin and they turn. If you get them excited, all things fail, anyway. So, keep it quiet and keep strangers away and gently use your cattle stick.

Hot shots are a tool but from your description of your experience it will more than likely get you hurt.
From what you wrote you shouldn't be working cattle by yourself as it is evident your as lost as a goose in the fog.
To save injury to the cattle you should get someone over that knows how to work cattle.
Any city boy can work cube cattle you let one nut case blow up in the pen you better know what your doing.
If these cattle are half way rank you have no business in the pen.

Caustic Burno":pg3b1xts said:
Any city boy can work cube cattle you let one nut case blow up in the pen you better know what your doing.

CB, I work mine with just me and the wife and all I use is a piece of pvc pipe about 5 ft long to slap them on the butt. I always keep the wife outside the panels and she operates the head gate and I push them down the alley. ( I do always plan an escape route just in case) The wife was laughing at me a few weeks back when I was dropping to the ground and going under the panels. She asked what the heck I was doing and I told her I was just practing my EMERGENCY ESCAPE PLAN :)
She just gave me THE LOOK and laughed and told me she had a plan of who was going to wash my clothes that day.

I do have one brangus cow that I have to watch her every move, because she will eat your lunch for you without warning.
I remember working some brangus cows with my grandad when I was a teenager and one of the cows came over the top of the alley (6' tall) at me and I ran a 4 micro second 40 ft sprint too :lol: :lol:

4' Sorting Stick with a golf club handle.

A Hot Stick in the hands of a newbie as yourself will get you hurt. Dang near guaranteed. Hot Shots are getting darn near obsolete anymore. I haven't had to use our's in years.

Hot Shot / Prod - you should have one available, but measure your competence and handling system design by the amount you have to use it. ( Given that you have cattle that shouldn't be loaded on a truck in the first place due to disposition ).

CB said it - get an experienced person there - but I also caution, don't make it a sideshow. Every strange person will be a threat to the beasties.

My goal is to work an 80 cow herd myself, without ever getting on the same side of the panels as the cattle. If you are in this for the long run your handling system is critical.

Man I love these discussion boards !!!
THANKS for all the great advice guys.
You won't see a zapper in this gal's hands. No Siree!!!
C.S.

C HOLLAND":27nnwae3 said:
Caustic Burno":27nnwae3 said:

CB, I work mine with just me and the wife and all I use is a piece of pvc pipe about 5 ft long to slap them on the butt. I always keep the wife outside the panels and she operates the head gate and I push them down the alley. ( I do always plan an escape route just in case) The wife was laughing at me a few weeks back when I was dropping to the ground and going under the panels. She asked what the heck I was doing and I told her I was just practing my EMERGENCY ESCAPE PLAN :)
She just gave me THE LOOK and laughed and told me she had a plan of who was going to wash my clothes that day.

I do have one brangus cow that I have to watch her every move, because she will eat your lunch for you without warning.
I remember working some brangus cows with my grandad when I was a teenager and one of the cows came over the top of the alley (6' tall) at me and I ran a 4 micro second 40 ft sprint too :lol: :lol:

Thats what I love about Brangus those that don't have the fuse lit have a box of matches.

dun":3sxbjg7j said:

dun

That's what we use, too. We have a couple than can get a little high-headed and nervous, and two that are flat out stupid - but most of them are pretty easy to handle.

Some key things to remember when you are working them alone:

Always have an escape route-
Keep your eyes moving so you can tell what is going on with the others-
Move slowly and cautiously-
Speak gently and calmly, unless you need to hollar-
Use the plastic paddle with the rattles in it-

Use a prod only if they are stubborn in an alley and will not move, but don't over do it or they will get you. At that point you might as well turn them out for a few days until they forget how cruel you were to them. Then go back to step 1.

With a small herd, I would say a 4' walking stick would do you fine. I have never allowed my animals to be hit, or have hotshots used on them. I have found that once they are used to you, and your ways, working them is a quick chore. I do want add a word to the wise: NEVER take calm animals for granted - just takes one knucklehead to act up for something to go wrong.

Some of my brahman cow that see me too much have a non-existent "flight zone". When I need to get them to move I just lightly tap them with a stick. They know when they see the stick that it's not play time but time to work.

Latest posts