cattle hot at sale barn today

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
Spent the day at the sale barn today. Saw 2 drafts of 324 and 345Lb. steers bring $2.22 a lb.
There was a pen of 26 at 720 lb steer brought 35,462.??.
Does this mean by July the 4th we will be paying $8 a lb for hamburger and $5 a gal for gas?

Those prices leave me wondering what kind of paper they are figuring there math on. It would be great if things would continure for the person who had some to sell. But I'm concerned for the ranchers who will need to replace animals when their grass returns.

went to the sale barn myself on monday. i didn't see anything over 2.00, but 300-500 pounders were bringing 1.99 all day. the ones i saw in that category were mostly brangus.....

Don't know about the price of hamburger, but gas might be higher than $5 a gallon. Iran could screw the price of fuel up real quick.

200-300 lb steers brought 2.12 last week out this way. I agree, replacement costs are going to kick some budgets in the rear.

Heck I can't even remember the last time I went to the sale barn but I did watch one of the TV auctions last Saturday I think it was. They were selling lots of angus for "replacement heifers". Most weighed between 725 up to 775 and were bringing up to $1.65 a lb. That's a bunch of money for something that won't have the first calf til next year.

hillrancher":39tbxq2m said:
Spent the day at the sale barn today. Saw 2 drafts of 324 and 345Lb. steers bring $2.22 a lb.
Sold steers in December, and sold heifers in January. Heifers dollared up more...

What is driving this market?

Stocker Steve":3do1yx9o said:
hillrancher":3do1yx9o said:
Sold steers in December, and sold heifers in January. Heifers dollared up more...

What is driving this market?
was inbredredneck there???
:cowboy: low numbers,, and buying for replacements. ive heard they would be 2.00+ this year,, looks like it got here early

yall are just seeing a taste of the high cattle prices for the next 5yrs to 20yrs.an right now the texas drought is driving those prices because of the mass sell offs.i think we are 1 of the few herds close to me that are still running all of our cows in the drought.most have sold off all their cows,only keeping enough to keep the ag exemp on the land.

bigbull338":g8nuk5hg said:
yall are just seeing a taste of the high cattle prices for the next 5yrs to 20yrs.an right now the texas drought is driving those prices because of the mass sell offs.i think we are 1 of the few herds close to me that are still running all of our cows in the drought.most have sold off all their cows,only keeping enough to keep the ag exemp on the land.
dont know where you got those numbers,, but i hope like he%$ your right
:cowboy:

ok heres how an where im coming up wth my line of thinking.the drought that we are in now in texas has pretty much depleted all of the stockpiled hay in the close an far states.plus they say so far weve sold off 600,000 cows.an that the packer market for cows can not catch up with the demand.now heres the kicker the weather service is predicting texas tobe in a drought off an on till 2020.now what happens of the other states get hitt with our major drought before the hay stocks build up,another massive sell off.high prices means everything will be sold as feeder calves,thus very few retained replacement heifers.even if the retained heifers was here it would take 10yrs fore they really hitt their production.then they would cycling out.

bigbull338":3uyl3k4g said:
ok heres how an where im coming up wth my line of thinking.the drought that we are in now in texas has pretty much depleted all of the stockpiled hay in the close an far states.plus they say so far weve sold off 600,000 cows.an that the packer market for cows can not catch up with the demand.now heres the kicker the weather service is predicting texas tobe in a drought off an on till 2020.now what happens of the other states get hitt with our major drought before the hay stocks build up,another massive sell off.high prices means everything will be sold as feeder calves,thus very few retained replacement heifers.even if the retained heifers was here it would take 10yrs fore they really hitt their production.then they would cycling out.

US011012.gif

Looks to me like A LOT more are going to be going to slaughter shortly

hillrancher":ikyn0lwf said:
Does this mean by July the 4th we will be paying $8 a lb for hamburger and $5 a gal for gas?

It is about time beef prices have caught up with input cost.

Yep.. thats exactly what has happened. I just hope it don't run us out this coming year up here in Northeast Okla..

Cattle will continue to go higher, right up till the day they don't go higher.

I would never sell between Thanksgiving and MLK day. Every year since I've been watching the market that time is just "dead". Probably a local condition here.

Latest posts