cattle hot at sale barn today

Help Support CattleToday:

john250":2vshk9gv said:
Cattle will continue to go higher, right up till the day they don't go higher.

I would never sell between Thanksgiving and MLK day. Every year since I've been watching the market that time is just "dead". Probably a local condition here.

I don't think we have any MLK in Minnesota. What is it?

Stocker Steve":7swlpedi said:
john250":7swlpedi said:

I would never sell between Thanksgiving and MLK day. Every year since I've been watching the market that time is just "dead". Probably a local condition here.

Martin Luther King Day. And a holiday for many. Don't you have a calendar, Steve? :lol: :lol:

We had a slump in the fall. Other than that, prices have held or climbed and they keep climbing

Stocker Steve":1yoqo81e said:
john250":1yoqo81e said:

really?? thats strange cause yall fought like he@# to make sure we did :cowboy:

Kathie in Thorp said:
We are not seeing those kind of cattle prices here yet. Regular sale day at Toppenish was today, but they don't have those new numbers posted on their website yet.

They reported $1.76 400-500 wieght steers at Toppenish yesterday. Add on the 10-15 cents for freight getting them to the major midwest feed areas and we are right up there.

Kathie in Thorp":126kf2ej said:
Stocker Steve":126kf2ej said:
john250":126kf2ej said:

Martin Luther King Day. And a holiday for many. Don't you have a calendar, Steve? :lol: :lol:

The only holidays I have are the deer opener and Christmas, and I don't need a calender to track them.

beefy if you did that,youd be at the next sale day buying cattle back.i sold everything a time or 2 but ill never do that again.

Hillrancher, I was also wondering if you were at Harrison or Green Forest. I sent down two loads for neighbors to Harrison that day and those were the kind of prices they got. I have a couple loads I was going to sell, but had to take Dad to the hospital with pneumonia, so I held off, not wanting to sell any calves when he couldn't be there to see them. Seems to be paying off, though, as they keep getting higher every week.

stocky":r5wkz287 said:
Hillrancher, I was also wondering if you were at Harrison or Green Forest. I sent down two loads for neighbors to Harrison that day and those were the kind of prices they got. I have a couple loads I was going to sell, but had to take Dad to the hospital with pneumonia, so I held off, not wanting to sell any calves when he couldn't be there to see them. Seems to be paying off, though, as they keep getting higher every week.

Stocky and Red Bull was at GF last week. I do not see much difference in Harrison and GF any more. I do think Harrison has more buyer for old cows.

Cow prices have not been keeping up with calf prices here. I think it will take a while to settle out.

I re ran some gross margin / acre projections - - and cow/calf in now in the same ball park as corn on our ground :eek: Now if you only had to take care of cows for three weeks per year...

Beefy":3tgt4jmt said:
i am tempted to sell every bovine on the place.

Beefy.. The last sale I went to.. the auctioneer said " There can't be a four legged cow or calf, in all of Northeast Oklahoma left to sell, with as many has been run through the stockyard"

kenny thomas":xyv9xe7h said:
Beefy":xyv9xe7h said:
Beefy, I have had some of the same thoughts but we have stayed in through all the bad prices so we got to stay in through the good times.

I stayed in when I should have quit. Paid high prices for imported hay about '07-08. Culled heavy and changed to more of a grazing attitude than a haying attitude. This won't last 20 yrs. I'll be dancing with Chippendales if it lasts 2 1/2 yrs. We will surely increase the supply at these prices? I wouldn't start from zero, but with XX cows I'll save a couple or 20 extra heifers this year. Hard times don't last as we now see. Good times don't last either.

john250":20b0ep4y said:
kenny thomas":20b0ep4y said:
Beefy":20b0ep4y said:
Beefy, I have had some of the same thoughts but we have stayed in through all the bad prices so we got to stay in through the good times.

I stayed in when I should have quit. Paid high prices for imported hay about '07-08. Culled heavy and changed to more of a grazing attitude than a haying attitude. This won't last 20 yrs. I'll be dancing with Chippendales if it lasts 2 1/2 yrs. We will surely increase the supply at these prices? I wouldn't start from zero, but with XX cows I'll save a couple or 20 extra heifers this year. Hard times don't last as we now see. Good times don't last either.

How many calves will you sell off those heifers in the next 2 1/2 years?

theres only 1 reason you stay in in a drought an high hay prices,an thats because you cant afford to sell out an replace the cattle later.i put the figures to it an thats why im staying.because it would cost a big pot of money to replace what i have.

Latest posts