Cattle Group Sale Price Thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

ok now to answer the q completely on culling 10yr old cows.1 when a cow gets tobe 10yrs old probs could hitt them fast such as injuries sickness an death.so to avoid that.an i know guys that cull at 10yrs old for that reason.an some 10yr old cows dont stay in shape like they used to on grass an hay.

I don't want to speak for anyone, but I think he meant that is what they would be WORTH to someone else. That's what I understood the question to be, and I think he's right. Right or wrong, around here no one is going to pay more than cull price for older cows. I think there comes a point where they're worth more to you than to anyone else. It's like old cars. You know what it would cost to replace one, but no one wants to give you anything for the one you got.[/quote]

Cows teeth last a lot longer here than in the west. Older red and still have some teeth cows usually go for $50 over kill price here. I bought a bunch in 2009, and still have about half of them. They don't look as nice as the AI sired heifers, and they usually don't raise the biggest calf, but they are low maintenance mothers. Only issue is they are starting to calve late in the season now... but they are still worth more to me than to someone else. My truck is about the same age as these cows and it has 278K on it. :banana:

My 2 cents: I don't want to buy calves pulled straight off the cows. I'm willing to pay a premium for calves weaned 45+ days, and 2 rounds of shots at least 21 days before sale. Shipping calves pulled off the cows is just too much stress on them and buying them has seldom worked out well for me. I think more and more buyers feel the same way.

Son of Butch":1wcgi359 said:
My 2 cents: I don't want to buy calves pulled straight off the cows. I'm willing to pay a premium for calves weaned 45+ days, and 2 rounds of shots at least 21 days before sale. Shipping calves pulled off the cows is just too much stress on them and buying them has seldom worked out well for me. I think more and more buyers feel the same way.
I will pay a premium for a weaned calf but I don't mind a bawler that has 2 rounds of shots. I will not buy a bawler with just one round of shots even if they are discounted. I hope someone gets a deal and makes lots of money with them but it won't be me.

Latest posts