Cattle/Deer Mineral???

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the deer would eat out the mineral tubs that the cattle get?

They probably would given the opportunity. Some companies make molasses tubs for deer. Quiet a few also make pressed blocks for deer with vitamin, minerals and quiet a bit of corn. I know Stockade Brand and Ragland Feeds make these. Probalby many others.

I've worked on a place that had mineral and feed troughs for the deer that would rival any cattle operation. Deer are fed corn in the trough twice a day. If you ride in the feed truck its unreal the number of deer that come loping up when they hear the truck. Counted 64 in less than an hour. In general, I think it best to dig a hole in ground and pour mineral in it where the deer can scratch and lick. In time these lick spots will become well known to the deer and they will look like bull holes.

I put a feed troff out on a lease pasture that i had last year and started feeding the cows a little bit a few weeks before i was going to move them just to make catching them a little easier. And it was right behind the owners house. He told me that every evening deer would come in a clean up the spilled grain that the cows would drop after they were finished.

I hunt an over grown deserted farm that is just brush now. I can show you a hole the deer have dug into the ground four feet around and 18 inches deep. I asked the widow if that was where the owner salted his cattle and she said he just poured it on the ground and let the cattle have at it. No cattle on this place for 15 years and the deer are still working this spot. I added a bag of salt after I figured out what was going on.

yme":310r9k3u said:
I hunt an over grown deserted farm that is just brush now. I can show you a hole the deer have dug into the ground four feet around and 18 inches deep. I asked the widow if that was where the owner salted his cattle and she said he just poured it on the ground and let the cattle have at it. No cattle on this place for 15 years and the deer are still working this spot. I added a bag of salt after I figured out what was going on.

Yep..works great........... year round too.

They probably would but the problem is the ratio of minerals in the tub. Deer require a 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus and cattle is 1:1. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. All this would lead to is a lack of calcium but they would get some.

sewall":ij8akkeb said:
They probably would but the problem is the ratio of minerals in the tub. Deer require a 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus and cattle is 1:1. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. All this would lead to is a lack of calcium but they would get some.

Sewall...most feeds are formulated at 2:1 ratio cal/phos..Not necessarily so on minerals. Easy to find a 12:12 mineral at any feedstore, but I'd still look for a mineral formulated for deer.

Latest posts