Cattle at the Gate

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Every year, there's always problems with calves coming to the gate to be fed and they'd have to be shooed away to either prevent escapees and let the tractor through.

Now, how do you folks prevent this from happening? Or, I should ask, how do you train the cattle to NOT come to the gate when it's feeding time?

IluvABbeef":3mmfw8lb said:
Every year, there's always problems with calves coming to the gate to be fed and they'd have to be shooed away to either prevent escapees and let the tractor through.

Now, how do you folks prevent this from happening? Or, I should ask, how do you train the cattle to NOT come to the gate when it's feeding time?

EASY

Quit feeding them :lol: :lol:

IluvABbeef":211mmdpe said:

We don't feed at the gate. Some of them will come to the gate. Since they know the feed is going into feed bunks further down the fenceline, most of them will stay there. The others follow to the feed bunks.

IluvABbeef":2zseehwp said:

When we do feed we feed in a corral away from the gate. They never gather at the gate.

We have a separate corral for our goats, the cattle have learned that the goats get fed in the evening when they do. They will gather in a dense herd blocking the goats from entering the goat corral until they hear their feed being poured into the bunks in the cow corral. If we load the goat bunks first the cattle will rush in and eat the goat feed first.

Anyone that thinks cattle are dumb hasn't spent much time around them.

Jon

I don't know what your set-up is and I don't feed for extended periods, but when I do have a bunch in for a few days I tend to alternate pens - that is feed them in one place then next time put the feed out before letting them into to the next place. This keeps them out of my way, out of the gate and trains them to come to my signal. I'm set up so I can make them walk through the working chute too so they get to have that experience in a positive way without being caught and handled as well.

When I am haying, the hay goes into the feeders out in the pastures - away from gates and such.

When they get cubed on occasions, it is at the pens. The main gates there are generally open unless the cows are being worked.

i have taught them to stay outta my space , and my space is wherever I say it is, took about two days and a small stick but they give me a few feet at all times. Thats after one of em about knocked me over a bunk feeder. My horses are the same on gates but they took longer to convince it was not going to be fun and they are just a little faster than I am. Now I can just point at them and they don't challenge.

kscowboy":yzw5ay72 said:
Now I can just point at them and they don't challenge.

To funny, my wifes does me the same way at times. :lol: :lol:

I feed in adjoining pens when I feed, and I put the feed out and let them in after I am clear of the mad CHARGE to the feed. I am not as fast as I use to be and my wifes doesn't like washing my trampled clothing.

We have a large dog who thinks that is his one and only job. He keeps a large semi-circle cleared until the tractor is through the gate, then goes on about his business.

IluvABbeef":kw9ijuze said:

A friend of mine installed those cattle crossing guards which eliminates gates, but I wouldn't want one near a highway because of trespassers.

Does no one else have the problem of bringing in hay on a tractor and getting the gate open alone? Last winter I was doing it alone and started sliding on some ice. The tractor and I went right through the closed gate :oops: Had it fixed in no time (2 hours, -10 degrees, 25 mph nw wind) :roll: Sometimes I sure feel like I'm the only one these things happen to.

Heres what i do.
Drive fast up to gate.
Get out and RUN open gate.
Run back to tractor.
go fast thru gate.
slam on brakes.
run shut gate while yelling at cows and acting like a loon.
get back in tractor and go slow on account of sea of cows gathered around me.

When my cattle does come thru whatever gate I am using... I have a couple of good dogs that will round them up... and "remind" them where they are supposed to go. I usually end up helping them though.

Beefy":2kplchl4 said:
Heres what i do.
Drive fast up to gate.
Get out and RUN open gate.
Run back to tractor.
go fast thru gate.
slam on brakes.
run shut gate while yelling at cows and acting like a loon.
get back in tractor and go slow on account of sea of cows gathered around me.

Thank you Beefy :D Thats exactly what its like here :lol:

I had the same problem so I installed electric fence around my gate entrance. I hooked up one of the insulated gate handles. Now I can open the exterior gate drive in, close the exterior gate, then open the electric gate and drive through. Nothing elaborate since I already had electric fencing around the perimeter. I also use the safe spot to remove the string from the round bales. Better than chasing runaways or getting trampled.

Latest posts