Catching a Crazy Bull and Hauling

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":2gcvrbmf said:
Gotta say, I'm surprised at how many people would shoot their own stock.

Gotta say I'm with some others here, bull has torn up a trailer, will jump and tear up a working pen and can't be caught easily. If it was me three steps......no not the three S's

1.Clean freezer
2. Draw a X in your mind going between the ears and eyes and put a well placed shot with 30-30 or 06 there
3. Make into burger and enjoy eating the SOB.

Wish you were closer. A dart gun and take him to the local sale barn and feed him well until next week.
A bull can tear up a lot of peoples lots and maybe even a few trailers I see around here.

kenny thomas":28pmaliq said:
Wish you were closer. A dart gun and take him to the local sale barn and feed him well until next week.
A bull can tear up a lot of peoples lots and maybe even a few trailers I see around here.
Did you hear about the cow we had to dart from the deer stand? She wasn't bad but we couldn't catch her. She did however come to the corn and rice bran every day.
Can't remember if it was brad or Bubba that got her. Anyway she went down and we hooked her to a trailer. She walked right in once she came too.

I don't see how you ever keep them in your good fences. But I guess since you have the only cattle for 50 miles its pretty easy to know they are yours.

Do not know the details but the wife got a message about a father and son going to look at a bull they were planning to buy. Both are in the hospital with injuries from this bull. In my mind I cannot see how this could happen to both by the same bull. Some of the rodeo stock producers might be interested in this bull.

Bigfoot":mnsm4fbt said:
Gotta say, I'm surprised at how many people would shoot their own stock.

Well I'm not going to cause my neighbors any problems if I can help it. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" And having someone's bull in my pasture with my registered cows isn't very neighborly. IMO

load the trlr with feed and rope him to sort em..be sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow about it and itll come..its all about opportunity....been there done this

Remember some guys buying a bull form my uncle . the bull walked in the old wooden cotton trailer they should up with. Looked around and begin to systematically tale the trailer apart. Pretty much turned it into a flatbed.
Then started calmly grazing around the mess. Problem wasn't the bull it was the trailer.
Around here like there's plenty with good horses and dogs that would do the job for a couple hundred. Probably have him halter broke and in the trailer in 30 minutes. Cattle like to breath. If you don't have that kinda skill available in georgia you may have to shoot him.

Some folks might of been raised differently and don't believe in pawning their problems off on someone else. Myself, I won't ask someone to take care of something that I can do myself. Even if it cost me more in the long run, I'll do it myself. Thank you very much.

between my first stint in college and my short military career....

i worked at the local stockyard for about six months...

Since I was young and strong.....

they put me on intake on sale days....

you had to be young and strong and eyes in the back of your head would have been nice....it is unbelievable what people will open a gate onto you with.....I looked out one time and saw a guy with an enclosed stock truck backed up to a ramp and he had the yard gates open and he was on top of the truck reaching down to open the gate.....

I had time to yell to the other guys to clear the alleys and out came about a dozen fire breathing alley cleaner gate jumping fence busting cows....

another guy another day had been to a sale and bought a bull....and someone had been compelled to hit him in the eye with a stick....the guy took him home and was afraid to turn him out and brought him to our sale the next day....this was a big bull and he was ill tempered and I am pretty sure he killed one guy that day...the guy was still breathing when I threw him over the fence and jumped over after him but he was like a rag doll and a bloody crumpled mess. The bull had busted thru a gate the guy had closed and was standing behind. I heard things busting as the bull pushed the gate over him...then the bull put his front foot in the guys midsection and pounded him with his head for a while...i was running down the alley and the bull headed the other way thank God. I had time to throw the guy over the fence as the bull turned around and was coming after me. A bunch of folks gathered around the guy and an ambulance hauled him away and I never heard if he lived....
I still had to get the d-----d bull on the scale....

hurleyjd":g17cg6in said:
Do not know the details but the wife got a message about a father and son going to look at a bull they were planning to buy. Both are in the hospital with injuries from this bull. In my mind I cannot see how this could happen to both by the same bull. Some of the rodeo stock producers might be interested in this bull.

I'd guess the bull got after one man and the other went to help him and got hurt too.

Got a couple of friends that are pretty good horsemen. Not cowboys by any means (actually both own dairies). They love to get a call to come catch a bull. Love to watch them. Both get a rope on the bulls neck and they can suck him up into a cattle trailer like he's a baby calf.

I really enjoyed catching cows and bulls , most of the Time we would unload in the morning on a track and just ride thru the woods till we got to a dirt road to find another track , if no tracks we would circle back thru the Block until we found it. We had dogs but didn't need them most of the time.

wacocowboy":265zkn5k said:
I seen a guy run a bull on a 4wheeler till the bull got to tired to fight being loaded.

A cows lungs must not amount to much. It's not really hard to run one to exhaustion. The problem here is, the lay of the land doesn't allow for running of a cow. She'll brush up, or jump somewhere before you can take the edge off.

Bigfoot":2qfau553 said:
wacocowboy":2qfau553 said:
I seen a guy run a bull on a 4wheeler till the bull got to tired to fight being loaded.

A cows lungs must not amount to much. It's not really hard to run one to exhaustion. The problem here is, the lay of the land doesn't allow for running of a cow. She'll brush up, or jump somewhere before you can take the edge off.
A lot of times I've stayed on one till they get tired and go where I want them. You have to be careful and not over do them, just never let up. You don't have to run them or anything, just stay moving. If they run chase till they slow a little then you slow. It's simple if you can keep them out of the brush.
Once they get tired enough they go right where they know they were supposed to have been.

Choke one down and it takes the fight out of them, but you better have someone else to stretch him out between you or he'll be in your lap :D

jedstivers":6qabif4v said:
Bigfoot":6qabif4v said:
wacocowboy":6qabif4v said:

A lot of times I've stayed on one till they get tired and go where I want them. You have to be careful and not over do them, just never let up. You don't have to run them or anything, just stay moving. If they run chase till they slow a little then you slow. It's simple if you can keep them out of the brush.
Once they get tired enough they go right where they know they were supposed to have been.

Yeah the guy I was watching just kept steady pressure till the bull was tired then loaded him. This was in a flat clear pasture so no brush. Probably took 45 mins to get him loaded.

Latest posts