Catahoula Leopard

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
considering another cattle dog to make 2 total. how are they compared to acd's? i have read good. i note that most cowboys around here use them. thanks.

Had one and she was a good dog. They don't fair well around horses though. Tend to get too close and like to nip heels and hold on. Might be fine on cattle but horses have a deathly kick. :x

well i picked one up from a local no kill shelter. a one year old female. the shelter did not know anything about her. friendly and full of life. i told them if she does not have interest in cows i will bring her back. i think they appreciated the honestly.

i brought her home and walked into the pasture on a long lead rope. at first she was uncertain. well, that for about 1 minute and she start pull and running and cows. i gave her slack and she chased him into a bunch into about 5 minutes.

wow. i was impressed. she turned the bulls and the tough cows. undisciplined but full of it.

she needs some basic commands and training but she has what appears to be good instincts.

my acd does not near have her insticts at 7 months old but i think the 2 will bring out the best once trained.

jvicars":1690t3s5 said:
well i picked one up from a local no kill shelter. a one year old female. the shelter did not know anything about her. friendly and full of life. i told them if she does not have interest in cows i will bring her back. i think they appreciated the honestly.

i brought her home and walked into the pasture on a long lead rope. at first she was uncertain. well, that for about 1 minute and she start pull and running and cows. i gave her slack and she chased him into a bunch into about 5 minutes.

wow. i was impressed. she turned the bulls and the tough cows. undisciplined but full of it.

she needs some basic commands and training but she has what appears to be good instincts.

my acd does not near have her insticts at 7 months old but i think the 2 will bring out the best once trained.

Wooohooo! That's great! Keep us updated on the progress, will ya'?

Alice :)

I have raised and used Catahoulas for close to 30 years. My experience is for my use there is not much that will out work them. But keep in mind they are head dogs not heel dogs. We have a saying among us head dog users, "I want a dog to hold them (cattle or hogs) up not speed them up". So, the thing to remember about Catahoulas is they will bunch them up so you can drive them. They can also be catch dogs or lead dogs. They work best on cattle that try to leave the country when they see you, or bunch quitters. If you have a bunch of slow moving, feed sack chasing cattle, Catahoulas may be too much dog. But if those feed sack cattle ever decide a few cubes isn't worth being penned, you will be glad you have your Catahoula. As I have heard many times from Catahoula users, with 3 dogs I can drive 40 head into a pop bottle.

i will keep you guys posted. i am a bit afraid at this point to let her loose because she does not know the property and she is so fired up about the cattle. i figure with a acd pup and a catahulua i should have a good start. my acd has been some what disappointing but i think i am expecting to much so its most likely me. the new dog just really impressed me. my acd was caged and could she the new dog working. she was barking wanted to get into the action. time will tell.

well the catahula i bought yesterday from the shelter has done better than expect so far.

i let her off the lead in the pasture with my 7 month old acd. they bunched the cattle into a small ball in the corner of the pasture. really went after then with zest.

i am very happy with her. next i have to get the horse out with the bunch to push them. she is happy to bunch them with my acd at their heals.

both got kick but did not miss a beat. my young acd got kicked in the head but she shook it off quick.

now if i could get the horse to play along.

ndncowboy":2kgsjcn9 said:
I have raised and used Catahoulas for close to 30 years. My experience is for my use there is not much that will out work them. But keep in mind they are head dogs not heel dogs. We have a saying among us head dog users, "I want a dog to hold them (cattle or hogs) up not speed them up". So, the thing to remember about Catahoulas is they will bunch them up so you can drive them. They can also be catch dogs or lead dogs. They work best on cattle that try to leave the country when they see you, or bunch quitters. If you have a bunch of slow moving, feed sack chasing cattle, Catahoulas may be too much dog. But if those feed sack cattle ever decide a few cubes isn't worth being penned, you will be glad you have your Catahoula. As I have heard many times from Catahoula users, with 3 dogs I can drive 40 head into a pop bottle.

Good Post... :D

We use Catahoulas and Black Mouth Currs for hunting and for working cattle also.

I think they are hard to beat.I have a pup that is Curr X Cat that is in my house right now.

ndncowboy":14ps0mxu said:

That was my understanding - that Catahoula's were heading dogs and/or baying dogs. I have a friend in S. Florida. The cowboys that have some of the cattle down in the swamps use the catahoulas to bring them up. Then they get my friend to help with her English Shepherds - which is what I have. The catahoulas get them up to the working pens and the English Shepherds - who are for working close and usually heelers, take it from there - pushing them through the pens and chutes and loading them on trailers if needed.

Used to have catahoulas...still have one that I had to leave at a friend's place in Texas because he was picking on my fiancee's blind/deaf dog. I kept my blue lacy. Blue lacys are smaller than catahoulas and far less dog aggressive but work cattle and hogs the same way. Saw those pictures of catahoulas working cattle the other day:

catahoulaworkingcattle2.jpg

catahoulaworkingcattle.jpg

catahoulagettingair.jpg

Here are a couple pics of blue lacys..the red one is mine (http://www.lacydog.com)

Walker040.jpg

OneyearoldTopofBale.jpg

This picture is of my lacy's sire working a bull

hossbayingcow.jpg

the dog group has expanded and is going great. i have a 7 month acd (still learning), catahoula and border collie. i have been working them on cattle daily and they are learning and all tough. The border collie was a dog that had to much energy for apartment life so i got for from a breeder for took her in. she is much tougher than i heard. The group is doing well and now needs to learn how to work in larger areas. now i am using them in a 10 acre pasture.

the catahoula is the lead dog. she is also very loyal in a short time and smarter than the others.

Are those your dogs Ted?

I had a beautiful Blue Lacey that I used as a hog dog from the Brahmens but this sorry SOB took it from me and then called the cops becaue I told him I was going to beat his @$$. :x

Glad to hear things are going well jvicars. ;-)

hey vicars.

im lookin at gittin a catahoula..howd that wrk out for ya..and how do ya keep em from running the cows when ya dont want em to w/o keeping em locked up. i got a guy trying to give me a free 10 mo male

are you the guy from offa mj road anyways almost on the corner...

thanks
gary

I keep my dogs in pens. If its a well trained dog it wont work cows unless told however they are very destructive if left out and not to mention the neighbor with a gun who wont want them roaming.

yeah im finding out more of them as i look and i dont think its gonna work fer me..i dont like penning them and i cant be worried bout what theyre gonna be doin when im not watchin em..looks like ill be passing this one up

The other question is who is trying to give you a pup? And if it's any good why are they giving it away at 10 months? We work and breed catahoulas, and I'd never give one away at 10 months if I thought it had the stuff to be a good one.

Ours can be loose in the yard when they're not working and be fine while we're in the house or in the barn. If you're processing cattle though, you need to tie em up or kennel them unless they have an extreme handle on them. Like somebody mentioned, not a great dog for in the corrals and pens.

the story is they had to move and th place they live now in town is too small..not sure if im gonna git it or not..wife wnts to wait til the dog were gonna replace is gone..dying...i also kinda dont want a male cuz of his marking.

Brute23,

I only had this red blue lacy..his pic is the bright yellow one lying on the floor. That dog got hit by a car so had to retire him due to a metal pin in his leg...slowed him down big time. He lives with the in laws now. I, now, have a catahoula that works hogs. I'm trying to find someone that is willing to let me put him on cows. Here's him on his 2nd hog in a bay pen in Missouri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve986Ma6N98 Let me know your thoughts.

Latest posts