Cat and snake question

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
After reading the comments about copperheads in another thread, I have a question that I probably should already know the answer to. Do cats kill snakes, do the snake population under control? We have several barn cats and they are always bringing mice, rats, chipmunks, etc. to the porch, but I have never seen them bring a snake.

The cats are killing all the prey animals that snakes would eat. Probably aren't any that hang around.

My cats have brought me almost everything as a "gift" to the porch, including snakes. Unbelievable how high an old guy can jump when you step out the front door and there is a dead copperhead on the welcome mat.

I have a neighbor who claims to have seen two cats kill a rattle snake. Said one would get its attention on one side while the other would claw the back of its head. Then when it turned to go after the other cat they would switch jobs until they eventually clawed its brains out. I will not vouch for the truth of my neighbor's stories.

My mother had a cat that would kill copperheads back in the 70's. I witnessed it one time. That cat killed the snake before I found a hoe.

There is a National Geographic film capturing a bobcat killing a rattler that is an interested clip to watch. After killing the rattler, the bobcat walks off and leaves it.

Hence, there may be some truth to the myth. My Brother-in-law claims his cats keep the snake population down.

I have seen the two cats killing a rattler thing. We used to have two female cats that stayed out in the barn and one day when i pulled up to the house, i noticed the two cats sitting on either side of the cattle guard. When I got out of the truck i heard the unmistakeable sound of a rattlesnake and went to look. But just like said above, one cat would get the snakes attention by swatting at it and the other cat would claw it. I never let them finish the job, i wanted assurance of a DEAD snake so i helped things along with my 12 gauge.

Our cats will eat a dead snake but I have not seen them kill one yet. They will catch, play with or kill most anything (except owls, coyotes or the neighbors dogs) that moves around here. They pretty well keep all kinds of bugs thinned out and I suspect that is why we've only seen two snakes around here all year long simply because there aren't very many free lunches found here.

Stocky: I can tell that you are a true cat lover-to answer your question most cats play with their prey-and sometimes never eat it, I have a cat called Lovey Dovey who is a true fiend, she preys, catches and eats everything-I have never seen her catch a snake though, but snakes are sneaky animals too, they keep themselves well hidden-and could probably outwit a cat- :)

Latest posts