castrating "mis-banded" cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

raykour

Reaction score
A neighbor brought 2 steers over to graze with my cattle while they fix their pasture. They are about 500 lbs. and were banded when they were young. One calf looked particularly bullish and the other looked like he still had something in between his legs. I checked and sure enough they both have a single HUGE testicle. I don't want them out with my cattle like that, so I told her I'd cut them off for her. We have cut 1000 lb. bulls, have an emasculator, etc. Then I got to thinking if there would be any complications because of the lack of scrotal tissue there to cut into to access the testicle. I assume it will just make it harder to a cut into to slide the testicle out, but is there any risk I am missing here (besides regular risk of castration?)

There is a very high probability that scar tissue would have formed due to the swelling (because of the inadequate banding).

If this has happened in your case, it is a real pain to deal with and involves a fair amount of tissus dissection before you can remove the remaining testicle. It is strongly not recommended to do this type of surgery without proper anesthesia, both for your safety and to prevent unnecessary suffering.

For what it is worth, I think this is a case where your vet should be called. This is not your regular type of castration. In any case, make sure the bull gets a shot against clostridial infections and a good dose of penicillin.

With the disclaimer that I'm a newbie, we had a similar situation a few months ago and had the vet out to castrate the "steer" in question, who was then about 9-10 mos old. She let us turn him back out with the herd immediately but told us to lute the short yearling heifers in 2 weeks, because the steer could conceivably still breed them for a bit after the castration. (They would need luted either way; by waiting just 2 weeks, no more, we could take care of any preexisting pregnancies plus any he could sneak in immediately after castration). Just a thought, since it sounded like maybe you were turning him in with your cows as soon as he's castrated...may want to see what your vet says.

I have learned that rather than trying to cut through the scar tissue that will be on the bottom of the sack I use a razor and cut through the side of the sack above any scar tissue. Just make a cut big enough to get the nut out of. Pull the nut and be sure to pull out the cord. Other than this being the middle of the summer with the associated fly issues it isn't that much different than a normal castration job.

"I have learned that rather than trying to cut through the scar tissue that will be on the bottom of the sack I use a razor and cut through the side of the sack above any scar tissue.....Other than this being the middle of the summer with the associated fly issues it isn't that much different than a normal castration job."

1) The scar tissue I was referring to is the engorged fibrous tissue that results from inflammation. In most cases of inadequate banding, this is so severe that the testicle may appear as a single nut, when in fact there are still two testicles left.

2) Yes, cutting through the side gives a better access to the testis, but the inflammation is not limited to the bottom portion of the testiscle. As the initial poster describes, the remaining testiscle is huge.

3) Complications from inadequate banding are not the same as "missing a testicle when cutting them out". It is a very different situation. A normal surgical castration takes about 2 minutes to perform, and the testis is easily accessible. The surgery to correct inadequate banding takes 20 minutes or more for an experienced person, because you have to dig and look for the remaining testis and make sure both are out.

Thanks for all the great advice. These are things I needed to consider. When I did my initial assessment, there is some accessible tissue on the sides of the scrotum that is still thin and would be easy to cut through, but I have to have a big enough hole to slide a fairly large testicle out. I am fairly certain that there is only one testicle in there, because I could follow the cord up pretty far and didn't encounter anything else in the area.

My husband is the one actually doing the cutting, so I suppose we will get them in the chutes and really get to looking at them to figure out the appropriate way to remove the testicle. I can also give them a bit of xylazine so as to make it a not so painful process. However, with the advice I have been given here, it after my husband gets to looking and doesn't think it is a good idea, we will just abandon ship and tell the owner she needs to have a vet do it.

My cows have been out with the bull since April and should all be bred, I just don't really want 2 bull calves harassing or riding the heifers still with their mothers or going exploring at the neighbors.

You probably know this already...just make sure the steers/bulls don't go down while they're in the chute if you give them xylazine...

Keep us posted on how things go.

Good luck.

I was planning to go super light on it just to keep them standing, though I suppose we could give them a moderate dose and let them out and let them hit the ground..........

If the animals are standing, they can kick and they may stumble and fall while you are operating...Not an ideal situation.

I tend to knock 'em out, put a halter on, wrap the loose end of the halter on the hind leg and have someone holding it (sorry, kinda hard to describe this in words). I also give about 5 cc of Lidocaine per side, between the testicle and the abdomen.

You have to make sure they are not on their side for too long because they can bloat..

may just do that then. We can roll them up pretty fast. Thanks for the good advice. Like I said if we get to looking at them and it looks like it could be more complicated we'll just leave them be and let they neighbor deal with it.

You have been very kind to offer to sort out your neighbours cattle problem.

Does sound like a situation where you need to be careful of the "no good deed goes unpunished" factor. I interpret this to mean, not that you dont do favours, but that expect to pay for it big time.

If something went wrong with the procedure and you lost an animal? Or it needed vetinary attention? What would your neighbour be likely to do? think? would it affect neighbourly relations? Would it all then be YOUR fault?

Or worse, if something went wrong and your husband got injured ?

Is it worth it to make it your problem? At the moment it is your neighbours problem and if the steers/bulls could make good money in the yards right now your neighbour could have some money, you could have more grass and less risk. Paying a vet to do the proceedure would probably not be covered by the increase in value of the animals. Y/N?

I had a year old bull I wanted castrated. I was not game to ask someone else to do it for me because I thought Murphys law would kick in and chances are they might get hurt.

We experienced enough not to get ourselves injured Ozhorse, but I got to thinking about worrying if something happened with the steers. If it was just a regular castration I would not be worried at all, we do them often even on very large yearlings. Once I got to thinking about the particulars of this situation, it got to worrying me a little. Also I am pretty soft and when I start to think about it it really pisses me off that they did this to them. It is not rocket science to get both nuts in the band, and that had to suffer the single testicle rotting off and now will ahve to suffer the bigger testicle being cut out because of their mistake. I am not a tree hugger....we knife cut our calves and brand them hot and hack open abscesses on cows with anesthetic, but we do what is necessary, quickly, and with as little discomfort as possible. What a bugger for the calf to have to have his nut and scrotum rot off only to have the surgery later anyhow.
Enough of being philosophical though....

In the end we will put them in the chute and look at the situation closely, and proceed only if we are comfortable.

We have ALOT of grass and I am charging her to keep the cattle here. With prices for calves, it is more prudent for me to charge her a grazing fee then to go out and buy additional calves to grow myself!

It sounds like your neighbours dont know that much because as you say, it is not rocket science to double check each calf after the bands are put on to make sure both testicles are in there. I do think they deserve some sort of consequence, at least to have to watch the procedure being done.

At least there is something in it for you, and you do want the cattle there. I think that reduces the chances of Murhpys law kicking in.

I wish we had your calf price problem here in Australia in our district.

My suggestion in the future is if you have bulls and want steers cut them out with a knife. If you take two nuts out and pitch them on the fire for mountain oysters later, You know you have a steer, no doubt. All other types are questionable in success. If you throw then on the branding fire, when they bust open they are ready to eat.

I don't band, my husband knife cuts everything from young calves to 1200 lbs. I am with you, when you have a testicle in a bucket in front of you, it is a guarantee. That and I just think in the long run it is less discomfort for the calf but that is only a personal belief. Nothing more uncomfortable than having one nut rot off and then later having to have another cut out though.....

As an update, we decided because of the bugs right now, not to do anything with these calves and the lady who messed them up can just handle it when she takes them home in the fall.

Latest posts