castratin a 3 yr old for slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
poor example of a brangus...buddy wants to buy it..castrate it and give it 3-6 mos to fatten up. idk if it matters either way i said...hes gonna check with a vet and see

whattyall think...worth the trouble?

gary

dieselbeef":2bt1qagt said:
poor example of a brangus...buddy wants to buy it..castrate it and give it 3-6 mos to fatten up. idk if it matters either way i said...hes gonna check with a vet and see

whattyall think...worth the trouble?

gary

Feed it and fatten it - yes!

castrate it - no!

Everything the testosterone can do to an animal is already done by three years. And a three year bull grows so slow if any, that it can easily put on fat. Castrating at that age is pointless, sets back the animal, and really has no benefits. :2cents:

If he's much of a bull he'll be walking the fence constantly.. looking for love in all the wrong places... and working those muscles in to pure lean dark cutter... id sell buy a good steer, pocket the rest...

It has been hard to find a processor around here that will accept one older than 24 months--BSE concerns I think..

greybeard":2hnlwrq2 said:
It has been hard to find a processor around here that will accept one older than 24 months--BSE concerns I think..

All SRM must be removed after slaughter on anything over 30 months .

Market price for slaughter bulls is still averaging over $1 here. If he has any meat at all and is in decent condition, that's where he needs to go. If your friend is willing to take the time to feed something out to eat, he really should try to find a yearling to start that project with. He'll be a whole lot happier with the end product.

well i told him all that as im of the same opinion. the seller wants 1k for it..way too much i think. he called my vet who i value immensely and he said basically the same thing too.

idk what hes gonna do but i got some fine animals to sale and hes too cheap to do it.
he does his own butchering and got his own ideas...

yall pretty much mirrored what i told him..cept i seen the pics and he sure isnt good for much else cept eating...even as a herd bull he looks poor to me

Red Bull Breeder said:
Lean does not have any thing to do with dark cutter.[/quote]
it does when a bull is upset and walking a hole in the ground wanting to get to the action...and can be dangerous to be around at feeding

back in 97. we were called to catch a bull that had been in the woods for about 2 years. He would tear up fences getting in to cows and no one would claim it. We tracked him down got him roped and had a guy bringing the stock trailer to load him and all of a sudden he fell over and died. we loaded him on a flat bed and hauled him to a butcher and had him ground. We couldn't eat it and finally fed it to the dogs.

dieselbeef":1gcx31d0 said:
well i told him all that as im of the same opinion. the seller wants 1k for it..way too much i think. he called my vet who i value immensely and he said basically the same thing too.

idk what hes gonna do but i got some fine animals to sale and hes too cheap to do it.
he does his own butchering and got his own ideas...

yall pretty much mirrored what i told him..cept i seen the pics and he sure isnt good for much else cept eating...even as a herd bull he looks poor to me

At that age he has to be well over 1000lbs. If you can get him for 1K you should be able to haul him to the sale and make a nice profit!

Latest posts