case 5130 problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Well if you have brakes there has to be some fluid on there.

I am actually having the same issue, can bleed the brakes but the reservoir is empty after a couple days. Supposedly there is a standpipe in the drain hose that can slip down, and it can also be the O-rings in the brake cylinders. Not sure what the deal is on mine, don't really use that tractor in the winter and haven't had a chance to look at it.
That's what happen to my 5240 the standpipe in the drain hose that did slip down, simple as crap, after about 3-4 days of lookin & checkin, several beers, and some Jack Daniels, I think, I think better when I'm drinkin

As for the hot pto you really need to check it with an infered thermometer. Anything over 130-140 and you won't be touching it, but a long hot summer day baling I wouldn't be surprised if the whole tractor was much warmer than that. (Engine runs at 180+ so eventually anything touching it will be hot, aside from everything else generating heat). Most tractor warming lights don't come on until 200 or more.

As for the shifting id bet its electrical. Those Maxxum tractors are plagued with electrical gremlins. Seat switch, fuse/relay box issues, etc.

20+ years ago a IH service manager told me that to check the power shift transmission they had to put on a pto dyno for 2-3 hours @ pto speed, to get it the hydraulic oil up to operating temperature and I forgot what the temp was, but I think it was well over 150-160. After checking PS, his only recommendation was to overfill 2-3 more gals of HiTran fluid. Too many steep azz hills in10EC,I was having a funky shift sometime on hills.
BTW No problems except that brake "standpipe" is that the proper name for that little tube in return line???

Last edited:

Latest posts