Care to guess somemore

Help Support CattleToday:

TLCfromARK

Reaction score
Ok, tell me what you think of these two. Everyone else is posting pictures so I'll try also.

Kaley2005.jpg

;-)
Maddie2005.jpg

;-)

My guess is Braford, because of the Brahman frame and Hereford color/tigerstripe. Also the very long nose, and ears lead to part Brahman. I may be completely wrong though, I havent been around lots of different breeds to know.

Nice looking cows, if you don't mind the ear! I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are Beefmaster that are showing their Hereford roots, although the one with black brindled on its face might have one of the myriad black breeds intermingled.

i'm going to throw out a wild and crazy guess and say they are both brahman hereford first crosses (f1s). call me crazy, all my friends in my head do. do what? call me crazy.

Pretty close on your guesses. Both just turned 2 years old and are 7 months bred to a Black Angus bull. Both are out of a Braford bull. The red one's dam is a F-1 cross, Brahman / Hereford. The brindle one's ( Bez's fav. kind ) dam is a Brahman / Hereford cross with just a touch of Simmental in her.

;-)

Thanks Campground, I've got high hopes for both of them. Both of their momma's are good milkers and both them are mild mannered. The red one is a real pet, the brindle one will let you walk around her and even touch her head / neck area most of the time.

;-)

Finally! A Braford grazer! I'm pretty fond of them, but don't use any brindle, which usually means too much Brahma for me. All of my stock comes from the foundation herd but strangely there is a wide variation in the heifers when we buy. A few are lighter red sorta gelbviegh colored, some are dark red, and both colors can have some white face markings or none at all.

D.R. Cattle":3mkjcmjx said:
Finally! A Braford grazer! I'm pretty fond of them, but don't use any brindle, which usually means too much Brahma for me. All of my stock comes from the foundation herd but strangely there is a wide variation in the heifers when we buy. A few are lighter red sorta gelbviegh colored, some are dark red, and both colors can have some white face markings or none at all.

I bought a few taht look just like the first one two weeks ago. Really like them. Would you sell mr the first one. They both look good to me.

Scotty

bward -- nice heifer, is she a Gert x Herf? I may have asked this before and forgotten, but do you have to provide any special shelter for your straight Gerts way up there in Alberta during winter, or do they handle the conditions essentially as well as non-eared cattle? Also, I think there are one or two CT forum members that are Gert breeders in upper New York --- if they happen to read this I wonder what their practices are?

i have a braford bull and the calves in my avatar are out him last year. one cmplaint he sire's alot of bulls

To Arnold Ziffle. No we don't provide anything special for the purebreds. They winter in the same bunch as the rest of the cows, and for them we provide bedding when its colder than 20 below, or when there is a heck of a lot of snow. They have a wind fence shelter and drink from a spring fed creek all winter. We feed them pretty high quality hay which we grow here, but no grain, unless its in the form of greenfeed.

We do not have a calving barn and we move the girls to a clean 1/4 section of grassland to calve in. We do however have a hot box for calves to dry them off and warm them up. Some years it gets a lot of use and other times not so much.... Early spring can be just as nasty as winter but the storms usually peter out quickly.

In the picture below you can see the wind fence.
DSC00423.jpg
[/img]

DSC00425.jpg
[/img]

Latest posts