Carcass quality can be influenced early

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
This is an interesting article. I'll put the link to the entire article below.

"High-quality carcasses start with high-starch diets and high-starch diets need to begin with calves as early as possible. Research shows calves that are fed high-starch diets early in life will have more marbling at the same backfat end point than calves grown on forages. In addition, the amount of starch in the finishing diet is not as critical as starch at a young age. Research also confirms it is more important than genetic merit for marbling."

http://www.angusjournal.com/articlePDF/ ... itical.pdf

I will testify as that being correct. Even more so in Holstiens than any other breed.

I think weaning at 150 days sounds great, as it is also better for the cow. But at what cost? How much feed would a 150 day old calf need to gain 100 lbs more at 210 days? It would be interesting to see the actual research paper. Creep feeding is okay, but does it pay today with the high cost of feed?

With the choice /Select spread being like it is(went to .18 last week)) it sure doesn't pay unless you have a direct market that pays more for a quality end product.

Come on people. I need to hear more on this one.

Creep Feed starch, and what to feed?

Wean Early, and what to feed?

Also whats good for mamma? What works economically? What to do for seedstock bulls vs commercial steers.

Opinions please.

JMichal":1onj7fpy said:
I think weaning at 150 days sounds great, as it is also better for the cow. But at what cost? How much feed would a 150 day old calf need to gain 100 lbs more at 210 days? It would be interesting to see the actual research paper. Creep feeding is okay, but does it pay today with the high cost of feed?

I wean around 5 months. Put the calves on the best grass. Ma's seem to have a higher than average calving rate and stay in good condition. Don't see why I'd need to creep feed as I get appreciable growth for very little cost. Profit seems better. Am I sacrificing marbling? Might be. Don't know. Meat is good to me. Might be better if I did this but I don't retain ownership so I can't justify the additional cost of feed. Way I see it, as long as the cows are eating grass I am making money. When I go to feeding, I'm losing. So far, the cheap gain has outweighed the cost of maintaining a cow and kept things in the black. This year is going to be interesting though - gonna have to get creative. Right now the girls are in the woods making me some money. Haven't seen them in three days and haven't put hay in the rings for a week now and they are still full. Dang, its nice not to have to open and close a gate. :nod:

Just voicing an opinion here, but I'd say offhand the average cattleman in the U.S. doesn't give a hoot in he!! about marbling.

Not saying he's doing wrong or right,,,,,,,,but he wants his calves to push down hard on the scales at sale time, with the least amount of expense involved to get him there.

When the packers start paying an equitable amount for a better carcass, the product will show up on the dock.

Around here guys have been using whole corn to creep calves for generations with no extra dollars on their checks.

Is this research supposed to be some kind of revelation? Or are the CAB folks having a hard time finding carcasses that will hit the target? Regardless of "genetic merit"?

I agree with Jogeephus about the cows grazing = making money. I have the same philosophy let them work and make money. I always felt sorry for the hard working cattleman who pitched hay 7 months a year and struggled to make ends meet. I say he needs to get a little lazy figure out a way to not have feed them for so long or so heavy and he could fish more often and make more money.

MikeC I probably agree that most cattleman don't care about imf but most cattleman have less than 100 hd. Most cattleman don't own to the rail. The Bigger outfits do care as many of them own to the rail. It is all a changing numbers game. When corn was 2 bucks a bushel and the price for choice over select was up it made more sense to shoot for the higher grade than 5 dollar corn and little difference from choice to select.

was reading this yesterday evening and yup it backs up what you've said as well Somn

http://www.admani.com/AllianceDairyBeef/
"When fed properly, Holstein steers easily grade Choice "

of course they are advertising their feed and I'm sure there are other types of feed/combinations which will do the same.
Farmers have never refused to grow/raise whatever paid the money and they do it in abundance...... show em the money and they'll deliver it consistently.

MikeC":3f4ned47 said:
Just voicing an opinion here, but I'd say offhand the average cattleman in the U.S. doesn't give a hoot in he!! about marbling.

Not saying he's doing wrong or right,,,,,,,,but he wants his calves to push down hard on the scales at sale time, with the least amount of expense involved to get him there.

When the packers start paying an equitable amount for a better carcass, the product will show up on the dock.

Around here guys have been using whole corn to creep calves for generations with no extra dollars on their checks.

Is this research supposed to be some kind of revelation? Or are the CAB folks having a hard time finding carcasses that will hit the target? Regardless of "genetic merit"?

Exactly, if given the choice of the mama cow getting the calf to market at 600 lbs by herself OR early weaning the calf at 400 lbs and taking the same calf to 600 lbs by throwing 800 lbs of 12% CP feed at it.........unless the packer is REALLY paying some kind of huge marbling incentive, I think MOST cattlemen are going to pick letting the cow raise the calf.

Latest posts