Car suggestion for graduating daughter?

Help Support CattleToday:

All three of our girls drove Saturns. We had great luck with them. Bought all three, at different times, as rebuilt wrecks with salvage titles and resold them many years later for decent money. I don't remember doing anything other than oil changes, tires, and batteries.

I dont know about yall but I like to see where Im going and I like to be seen in a truck so I would say get her a truck. Gosh how could someone turn down a F250 gots to be crazy. :cry2:

spoon":1d3a38m9 said:
All three of our girls drove Saturns. We had great luck with them. Bought all three, at different times, as rebuilt wrecks with salvage titles and resold them many years later for decent money. I don't remember doing anything other than oil changes, tires, and batteries.

My wife's got a Saturn. Those things can be had pretty cheap if you're willing to look at used ones, their resale value sucks. Wife bought a 94 with 90k miles on it about 6 years ago for $3300 and has put another 90k on it, total maintenance other than oil changes and tires has been under $300. Plus dang near the whole car is fiberglass, no rust. With diesel at the local station @ 4.39, I've started looking for my own Saturn.

Maineshowgirl":2jzq5p20 said:
I dont know about yall but I like to see where Im going and I like to be seen in a truck so I would say get her a truck. Gosh how could someone turn down a F250 gots to be crazy. :cry2:

MSG, she's not crazy. She's actually one of the sweetest, kindest, and funniest people you would ever meet. She just doesn't share my enthusiasm for cows, horses, and stinky work trucks. But that's ok, neither does her Mom, and I wouldn't trade her for any other woman in the world. :)

Skyline......you know how it goes........anything you want sweetheart....as long as it's "Maroon". :lol2: :lol2:

We bought our daughter a 2wd Mazda Tribute (same thing as a Ford Escape) 3 years ago when she graduated from the local community college and went away. It gets about 25 mpg and hauls about everything she needs. It comes home loaded down about every weekend.

I wanted to go with it because I felt the suv was safer and it still gets decent gas mileage.

I didn't like the idea of her driving one of those dinky little cars. Although I think I'm gonna try to find one for me to drive to work.

We went through the same thing last year. Our Daughter moved off to Auburn. We wound up getting her a ford explorer sport. I looked at the PT cruisers. They were good on gas and safety. She will need something that she can put a lot of stuff in to haul back and forth.

Something big and heavy and not new. At that age you want to put as much metal around them as you can. It's not IF they will have a wreck, its a question of WHEN and HOW BAD.

Earl Thigpen":plzm1bmj said:
Something big and heavy and not new. At that age you want to put as much metal around them as you can. It's not IF they will have a wreck, its a question of WHEN and HOW BAD.

I'll second that.
The extra gas that it takes will be more than made up in safety insurance.

1996 lincoln town car signature series. Big, good on gas, and roomy. Insurance is cheap to. It is what I drive. Get 19-22 city and 26-30 highway

2000 nissan sentra . Sure it will be 8 years old so you should be able to get one cheap (check the blue book value). They run great and I never have too many problems and it has alot of torque for a car its size so she should have fun drivin it.

Ok I have come to the point of thinking that the worst drivers on earth are city college kids. The more metal and the bigger the truck the better. I want Ranch Hand bumpers all the way around my truck Jk lol but its just nice to no know matter what you have to run over or who or what you got to get throw that your are going to be the one driving off. And TexasBred as long as it is Maroon or Black lol cant have NO orange and NO longhorns lol :compute:

@maine-I totally agree. Some of those trucks those guys drive are ridiculous and I doubt many of them will ever use them. I dont know how they can afford to drive the damn things anymore.

KenB":2vrbev9v said:
Earl Thigpen":2vrbev9v said:

I'll second that.
The extra gas that it takes will be more than made up in safety insurance.

:nod: THere is no comparison of what a car looks like after a wreck and what a truck does.

THere are some of those smaller SUV type things. :???:

Speaking of trucks and college kids. A lot of dully trucks in the parlking lots, that have been lowered. Another case of more money than sense.

well most around here have lifts on them. Id take a lifted 4X4 any day and pay $$$ for fuel before owning a lowered one that is just plan stupid lol lowered duallys heck next they be lowing the stock trailers oh wait a moment they prob do not know what a stock trailer is in the first place. ;-)

Earl Thigpen":72shsv17 said:
Something big and heavy and not new. At that age you want to put as much metal around them as you can.

Good post.

When my daughter first started driving I told her I was going to get her a 1988 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser preferably with the woodgrain sides. She was not impressed and for some reason my wife agreed with her.

I told them it was rated the safest car on the road, they didn't care....

By the way a Custom Cruiser is a humongous station wagon, just slightly smaller than a battleship.

Latest posts