Car suggestion for graduating daughter?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
My daughter is graduating from high school this month. She's been driving a 1988 Buick LeSabre that I inherited from my mother. Functional, but it's old and it's not exactly a young person's car. She's headed off to college in the Fall about 2 hours from home and I'd like to get her something newer and more dependable. I need to keep this around $7k to $10k. Anybody got any suggestions for a safe, reliable, economical used car that a young lady might want to be seen in?

Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Toyota or the favorite of every teenage female, a F350 diesel! Just kidding on the last one. I wish I could say get an American used car but it's probably not the best choice for your price range.

Hate to admit it publically but my wife is on her 3rd Nissan. The first 2 went over 250,000 miles without a hiccup. They're good cars and get pretty good milage, probably cheaper than Toyota.

I like the F-350 idea tho. Probably attract a better class of boys.

toyota is what she needs.get 1 that gets good gas mileage.my brothers crolla just blew the motor at 300,000mi.an he got a 20007 crolla for $12000 to $15000.took the guy 2wks to find it for him.he told my brother with gas being high the crollas are holding their resale values.

skyline":j56rzalj said:
My daughter is graduating from high school this month. She's been driving a 1988 Buick LeSabre that I inherited from my mother. Functional, but it's old and it's not exactly a young person's car. She's headed off to college in the Fall about 2 hours from home and I'd like to get her something newer and more dependable. I need to keep this around $7k to $10k. Anybody got any suggestions for a safe, reliable, economical used car that a young lady might want to be seen in?

My daughter started with a Geo Prizm (Corolla) that cost 4500. Wish we still had it.
We are looking at Ford Focus. They aren't as sophisticated as the Corolla and etc, but they sell for less and the owner reviews I have seen are good. Most of the reviews say "for the price, it's great".

Thanks guys. Those are great ideas. We'll put those on the list to look over.

I've got a F-250 that she could drive, but I don't think I could get her in it. She says it stinks...

You could just skip the car for her first year, tell her if she makes it through her freshman year with good grades she can have a car. :lol: My folks didn't even leave me with a bike. In all seriousness though, I had a lot better grades than the girls who had cars and went home every weekend....

milkmaid":2dexoyk9 said:
You could just skip the car for her first year, tell her if she makes it through her freshman year with good grades she can have a car. :lol: My folks didn't even leave me with a bike. In all seriousness though, I had a lot better grades than the girls who had cars and went home every weekend....

MM, I tend in that direction, but my wife is a softy. I'm afraid this decision is above my pay grade, if you know what I mean.

What are you majoring in? I hope it's some sort of ag degree, because you sure have a passion for it and you're one of the most knowledgeable cattle people on these boards.

Animal/Veterinary Sciences, prevet option. Can't imagine not doing something animal related. :p

Pontiac Grand Prix or Grand Am, They are reliable decent cars that are sproty but cheap. You can get a 2001 with low miles for a bout 6k around here.

skyline":2ybw5wfk said:
I've got a F-250 that she could drive, but I don't think I could get her in it. She says it stinks...
F-250 with the stink already in it?? you wouldnt have to ask me twice to take that. man oh man the things i would do with that truck....
oh well keep dreamin kelly............

i like nissans. they have good gas mileage and practically never break down. i think you could get a million miles on them if you tried.

i like the looks of pontiacs personally.

congrats on the grad.

my original post would have read: "Get her a pickup! I wouldn't wanna be seen in anything else. At least a 3/4 ton so she can haul comfortably." But then i read your next post so scratch that.

skyline":1elsw90j said:
I've got a F-250 that she could drive, but I don't think I could get her in it.

I wish I had a daddy like you!

Honda or Toyota. Can't beat the gas mileage and the dependability. I will probably get my son a Honda. He wants a Volkswagon but I've talked to mechanics and tire dealers and all have said to stay clear cause no one can work on a Voks but the dealership.

Jogeephus":3q0jy3jv said:
Honda or Toyota. Can't beat the gas mileage and the dependability. I will probably get my son a Honda. He wants a Volkswagon but I've talked to mechanics and tire dealers and all have said to stay clear cause no one can work on a Voks but the dealership.

Volkswagon (and BMW and AUDI) build cars which are great drivers but VERY high maintenance. I think they assume that everyone has a riding mechanic. And the parts they require frequently are apparently made from precious metals, by hand, on Sunday.

My rant is based mostly on my ownership of a '75 model VW Scirocco. The 3 door Rabbit. Great driving car. Reliability was a problem. The emissions system was an engine killer. Needed points every 1500 miles. 75 horsepower. 4 speed. Crappy tranny. Cable controlled. Very sloppy. 30 mpg w/ a carb.

The Japanese understand that most folks don't want to spend their lives doing auto maintenance (or purchasing auto maintenance.) Honda is as good as it gets, IMO. I had an '85 Accord which was flawless for 105 K. 4 cyl 5 spd. 25+ mpg and I had a heavy foot. Great tranny.

john250":dlhkxns2 said:
Jogeephus":dlhkxns2 said:

Honda is as good as it gets, IMO. I had an '85 Accord which was flawless for 105 K. 4 cyl 5 spd. 25+ mpg and I had a heavy foot. Great tranny.

Used to have an '82 Prelude. Darn good car. Got drunk and totalled it in '89 or I might still be driving it.

Honda's and Toyotas are ok but you better be near a dealer or machanic that can work on them casue when they do break down your normal mechanic can't work on them. Around here you have to drive an hour to get to a dealer. That is one of the problems i have with them. It must matter where you get them from adn who has had it if it is used. Had a friend had a honda and it was a pile of shitt. always had to take it to the dealer to get electical problems adn then had some engine troubles so they got a newer buick small suv looking thing.

tncattle":25b6b614 said:
Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Toyota or the favorite of every teenage female, a F350 diesel! Just kidding on the last one. I wish I could say get an American used car but it's probably not the best choice for your price range.
Oh yeah!!!

I'm with you on the cost of maintaining a Volkswagen, BMW, or Audi. I used to have a BMW 318i. Man, I loved to drive that car, but it cost more to maintain than the payment. I wouldn't buy another one now. Plus it's hard to pull a horse trailer with one. :lol:

As far as maintenance goes, our nearby city has all the major dealers and she's going to school in Dallas, so finding someone to work on the car won't be difficult. I just hope to find one that doesn't require a lot of maintenance.

We're going to start looking around and talking this over in the next month or so. Hope to pull the trigger around the middle of July before she loads up and moves out in August. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts