Can't catch a break

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Lordy, my poor husband is a hot mess! Some of you may remember he had a cervical laminectomy 4 years ago; 6 weeks recovery before he could lift, do much of anything, 2 years for a full recovery. Followed by getting a pacemaker, which was an epic fail: his lung was punctured (pneumothorax) and it sits directly on his muscles. Immediately got a new cardiologist! A-fib, pacing 85% of the time, segued into a 7 hour, double chamber ablation at the Cleveland Clinic. Huge success! Followed by chronic lymphocytic leukemia. And now, back for another laminectomy, this time lumbar, L3-5. He has NO reflexes in his legs, which would explain why he falls, and, of course, he's done the pain pills, tens pulse unit, steroid epidurals . . . . At least recovery is supposed to be significantly less this time.

Gonna have to pull out my Big Girl britches and dust off my Nurse Ratchet hat. Again!!!😫

sounds like your hubby has been through a lot the last few years. hope he has a speedy recovery and you need to make sure you take care of yourself also. don't be shy about asking neighbors and friends for help when you need it, or even when you don't. please keep us posted on how things are going. good luck and prayers be with you and your husband.

Good luck. The Afib ablation turned out well. It runs rampant in my family as on my mothers side if you don't have it just wait around. About 5 years ago my heart would go haywire from time to time with both flutter and fibrillation. Both top chambers were burnt all to heck and since I have not had any as they are getting better and better at curing this. My wife right before me her heart was throwing over 128000s PVC a day and she had the same EP as I. She is pretty normal on her heart beats now as before every 4th beat was a short then a long. Amazing a couple years after her ablation her ejection fraction went from 35% to a normal 55%.

Last edited:
Wow. Sounds like he's had a heck of a time. Hope all goes well for y'all and as others have said ask for help when needed. Definitely don't need 2 down.

sounds like your hubby has been through a lot the last few years. hope he has a speedy recovery and you need to make sure you take care of yourself also. don't be shy about asking neighbors and friends for help when you need it, or even when you don't. please keep us posted on how things are going. good luck and prayers be with you and your husband.
Thanks! We are blessed with amazing neighbors - and that includes anyone within a 10 mile radius. One text or call and someone will be here. I do what I can, but recognize my limits.

TC, if I remember correctly you weren't designed for some of those ranching chores. You need to be sure to not overstep your ability and get yourself in a pickle or.....

Hope things go smoothly and he heals quickly. Be praying for you both!
Thanks! Yeah, former Banker/City Gal and don't weigh much more than a newborn calf BUT I'm scrappy and have moxy. And I do know when to call it quits and call for backup. I have an awesome support group of friends & neighbors.

Good luck. The Afib ablation turned out well. It runs rampant in my family as on my mothers side if you don't have it just wait around. About 5 years ago my heart would go haywire from time to time with both flutter and fibrillation. Both top chambers were burnt all to heck and since I have not had any as they are getting better and better at curing this. My wife right before me her heart was throwing over 128000s PVC a day and she had the same EP as I. She is pretty normal on her heart beats now as before every 4th beat was a short then a long. Amazing a couple years after her ablation her ejection fraction went from 35% to a normal 55%.
Thanks! His pacing was a-fib & flutter, so vicariously understand what you went through. Highest dose of antiarrhythmic possible (Sotalol), but didn't help. Electrophysiologist at Cleveland Clinic is one of the best in the US - and just happens to be best friends with his Cardiologist and knows his Oncologist very well. Anyway, turns out Hubby's heart is very similar to a pigs, with multiple valves (because he's from Alabama?;)), so they cauterized each valve, then built a "fence" around all the cauterized valves. Unbelievable what they can do! Except it's evidently not a permanent fix; it will come back at some point in time but he hasn't been in a-fib since Oct '19.

Sorry that your husband is going through all of that. I know it is hard for you too. Hope things get better for both of you.

Thanks! His pacing was a-fib & flutter, so vicariously understand what you went through. Highest dose of antiarrhythmic possible (Sotalol), but didn't help. Electrophysiologist at Cleveland Clinic is one of the best in the US - and just happens to be best friends with his Cardiologist and knows his Oncologist very well. Anyway, turns out Hubby's heart is very similar to a pigs, with multiple valves (because he's from Alabama?;)), so they cauterized each valve, then built a "fence" around all the cauterized valves. Unbelievable what they can do! Except it's evidently not a permanent fix; it will come back at some point in time but he hasn't been in a-fib since Oct '19.
Usually if they can get it stop a second procedure might be needed in the future as they are getting 80-90% on a lot with the newer irrigated radiofrequency catheters and more skilled EPs. I had Paroxysmal AF and would last 3-4 hours, but it usually gets worse left untreated over time.

Good luck to your husband and with no AF since 2019 that is a very good sign as usually they get it or they don't. As I said with the newer radiofrequency catheters just about every burn probably is close to going through the heart so they can last a long time. I have had a lot of nerve pain from the procedure, but it seems every year it gets a little less. I cross my fingers and toes everyday that it has not come back.

Last edited:

Latest posts