Can't catch a break

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyway, turns out Hubby's heart is very similar to a pigs, with multiple valves (because he's from Alabama?;)),
They used to use pig valves in heart surgery. I don't know if they still do or not. I had a friend that had one. He always joked that after his surgery, if he smelled bacon, he would get sexually aroused. 🤣

cfpinz

Reaction score
You need to be easier on Jerry!

Hope his recovery is quick and complete, best of luck to you both!

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
Surgery went well and he's home, sporting a 6" incision with 11 staples and bears a striking resemblance to Frankenstein. Doing my best to keep him jacked up on pain meds and making sure I get him up every few hours. I discovered the easiest way to accomplish that is to wrap a sheet around his upper back, under his arms & pull from the front - he's 6'5" and I'm 5'8", so still requires acrobatics & agility. He's barely eating & a little testy (there may be profanities) but making progress. Neurologist was very candid and said this was not going to be a quick recovery, primarily because his muscles are so dense & will take longer to (essentially) fuse back together.

Taking this one day at a time!

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Surgery went well and he's home, sporting a 6" incision with 11 staples and bears a striking resemblance to Frankenstein. Doing my best to keep him jacked up on pain meds and making sure I get him up every few hours. I discovered the easiest way to accomplish that is to wrap a sheet around his upper back, under his arms & pull from the front - he's 6'5" and I'm 5'8", so still requires acrobatics & agility. He's barely eating & a little testy (there may be profanities) but making progress. Neurologist was very candid and said this was not going to be a quick recovery, primarily because his muscles are so dense & will take longer to (essentially) fuse back together.

Taking this one day at a time!
Did they have to use an anterior approach?

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
Did they have to use an anterior approach?
Yes. And once the staples are removed, it will coordinate beautifully with scar from his cervical laminectomy. But not going for a trifecta with a sacral!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_171214194.jpg
    IMG_20210626_171214194.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. And once the staples are removed, it will coordinate beautifully with scar from his cervical laminectomy. But not going for a trifecta with a sacral!!
Cutting through the abdominal wall is never a quick recovery, ask any woman that has had a c-section. I am glad he is doing well. Did they have to do the cervical surgery posteriorly also? If so, that is a booger!

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
Cutting through the abdominal wall is never a quick recovery, ask any woman that has had a c-section. I am glad he is doing well. Did they have to do the cervical surgery posteriorly also? If so, that is a booger!
Both were anterior, fortunately.

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
Well, now I'm just venting. "Break" in the subject title is the operative word. He was doing great after the laminectomy - until he went down like a ton of bricks a few weeks later and fractured his right femur. Took me 1.5 hours to get him out of the house, down the landing & into my truck (God forbid we should call 911). Copious amounts of morphine in the ER, followed by numerous CT scans, which also revealed a distal abdominal aneurysm (not related to the fall). Blessing in disguise? Now we know & can keep an eye on it. 6-8 more weeks back on the walker, one step forward, 2 giant steps back. Pain pills!!! But no steroids because they would hinder the femur bones knitting back together. Except they didn't, and the fracture is now a full blown break. Next step: orthopedic surgeon. Best case scenario, all he'll need is a couple pins. Worst case would be a full hip replacement. I'm holding out for the pins.

And yet . . . . the ranch is running smoothly, I've mastered the track loader, brush hogged anything I can, weaning is just around the corner and the calves are all fat & happy (well, except for the one I lost that was struck by lightning - damn the luck).