Can't catch a break

Help Support CattleToday:

Anyway, turns out Hubby's heart is very similar to a pigs, with multiple valves (because he's from Alabama?;)),
They used to use pig valves in heart surgery. I don't know if they still do or not. I had a friend that had one. He always joked that after his surgery, if he smelled bacon, he would get sexually aroused. 🤣

You need to be easier on Jerry!

Hope his recovery is quick and complete, best of luck to you both!

Surgery went well and he's home, sporting a 6" incision with 11 staples and bears a striking resemblance to Frankenstein. Doing my best to keep him jacked up on pain meds and making sure I get him up every few hours. I discovered the easiest way to accomplish that is to wrap a sheet around his upper back, under his arms & pull from the front - he's 6'5" and I'm 5'8", so still requires acrobatics & agility. He's barely eating & a little testy (there may be profanities) but making progress. Neurologist was very candid and said this was not going to be a quick recovery, primarily because his muscles are so dense & will take longer to (essentially) fuse back together.

Taking this one day at a time!

Surgery went well and he's home, sporting a 6" incision with 11 staples and bears a striking resemblance to Frankenstein. Doing my best to keep him jacked up on pain meds and making sure I get him up every few hours. I discovered the easiest way to accomplish that is to wrap a sheet around his upper back, under his arms & pull from the front - he's 6'5" and I'm 5'8", so still requires acrobatics & agility. He's barely eating & a little testy (there may be profanities) but making progress. Neurologist was very candid and said this was not going to be a quick recovery, primarily because his muscles are so dense & will take longer to (essentially) fuse back together.

Taking this one day at a time!
Did they have to use an anterior approach?

Yes. And once the staples are removed, it will coordinate beautifully with scar from his cervical laminectomy. But not going for a trifecta with a sacral!!
Cutting through the abdominal wall is never a quick recovery, ask any woman that has had a c-section. I am glad he is doing well. Did they have to do the cervical surgery posteriorly also? If so, that is a booger!

Well, now I'm just venting. "Break" in the subject title is the operative word. He was doing great after the laminectomy - until he went down like a ton of bricks a few weeks later and fractured his right femur. Took me 1.5 hours to get him out of the house, down the landing & into my truck (God forbid we should call 911). Copious amounts of morphine in the ER, followed by numerous CT scans, which also revealed a distal abdominal aneurysm (not related to the fall). Blessing in disguise? Now we know & can keep an eye on it. 6-8 more weeks back on the walker, one step forward, 2 giant steps back. Pain pills!!! But no steroids because they would hinder the femur bones knitting back together. Except they didn't, and the fracture is now a full blown break. Next step: orthopedic surgeon. Best case scenario, all he'll need is a couple pins. Worst case would be a full hip replacement. I'm holding out for the pins.

And yet . . . . the ranch is running smoothly, I've mastered the track loader, brush hogged anything I can, weaning is just around the corner and the calves are all fat & happy (well, except for the one I lost that was struck by lightning - damn the luck).

Latest posts