Can't catch a break

Help Support CattleToday:

followed by numerous CT scans, which also revealed a distal abdominal aneurysm (not related to the fall). Blessing in disguise?
It was a blessing in disguise. Aneurysms like those can be a widow maker and they are very difficult to diagnose until it is too late.

You have had more put on you at one time than any one person should. We will be praying for you TC.

It was a blessing in disguise. Aneurysms like those can be a widow maker and they are very difficult to diagnose until it is too late.

You have had more put on you at one time than any one person should. We will be praying for you TC.
Thank you, I really appreciate the warm thoughts & prayers. Trying to stay "glass half full"!

Thoughts and prayers from Va. Just got word yesterday that my dad, who is "recovering" from severe depressed state after my mom's passing in June, and was seeming to be much better after a short stay in a rehab and adjusted meds that really seemed to help..... was on the lawn mower tractor and went over the bank, flipped it and was pinned; and is in the hospital with a fractured clavicle, several fractured ribs, and stitches in his head where both ears got torn up and all sorts of cuts and bruises....:eek:o_O😲 REALLY.... yet he seems to be in good spirits and fully cognizant which is unbelievable.....he's 87... Tell your husband that he needs to just get his sh!t together and do as he is told so he can heal up and be around for another 20-30 years....;)

Thoughts and prayers from Va. Just got word yesterday that my dad, who is "recovering" from severe depressed state after my mom's passing in June, and was seeming to be much better after a short stay in a rehab and adjusted meds that really seemed to help..... was on the lawn mower tractor and went over the bank, flipped it and was pinned; and is in the hospital with a fractured clavicle, several fractured ribs, and stitches in his head where both ears got torn up and all sorts of cuts and bruises....:eek:o_O😲 REALLY.... yet he seems to be in good spirits and fully cognizant which is unbelievable.....he's 87... Tell your husband that he needs to just get his sh!t together and do as he is told so he can heal up and be around for another 20-30 years....;)
🤗

Oh, Jan, I'm so sorry and hope he heals fully & is soon back home! And yet, I like his spunk!! I suspect that's where you got it.

My dad is 89 and came over prior to the laminectomy to help hubby sharpen the blades on the brush hog - at one point using his 4 pronged cane as a hammer. Two of the rubber grips on the cane flew off and he subsequently told me I owe him some rubbers. Wait, what? Daddy, don't EVER say that! So I bought him a new 4-pack of grips and a box of condoms. Not awkward at all 😬🙄 but he loved his "gift package" and the small town gossip at the local drug store was worth it.

With all of your other problems, you have a lot on your plate too! Prayers are being said.

Hope you father is on the mend, Jan.

I broke a clavicle and half a dozen ribs last year (among other things) after mistakenly buying a bucking horse, good times.

Father is having a rough time from the pain, but they got him up today (it happened just last Thursday?). Be awhile for him to get up and moving. Hoping they put him in a rehab for a bit so someone keeps an eye on him.... and power of attorney brother can go back home and get back to work... he is a boat captain of chartered fishing and there are only so many months he can work on the lake (ontario).... too many other family dynamics and "no one else" can make decisions... and he is not about to let anyone share his authority spot.... UGH..... but father is doing okay considering. A little too thick headed for his own good... I know my limits right now with these knees and don't put myself in positions and places that I might not be able to get out of.... stubborn yes, stupid, no.

Oh, Jan, I'm so sorry and hope he heals fully & is soon back home! And yet, I like his spunk!! I suspect that's where you got it.

My dad is 89 and came over prior to the laminectomy to help hubby sharpen the blades on the brush hog - at one point using his 4 pronged cane as a hammer. Two of the rubber grips on the cane flew off and he subsequently told me I owe him some rubbers. Wait, what? Daddy, don't EVER say that! So I bought him a new 4-pack of grips and a box of condoms. Not awkward at all 😬🙄 but he loved his "gift package" and the small town gossip at the local drug store was worth it.
I just saw this, I like the way your family rolls TC!

Well, for today's episode of Can't Catch a Break . . . . yup, that's his ulna bone sticking out of his arm and he literally shattered his radius. Super condensed version: ER in town Thurs evening. They got him stabilized, x-rays, antibiotics, morphine, etc. but the Ortho surgeon was out until Mon. Called all the hospitals in Wichita and there are NO rooms. What??? From Covid?? Next option was a 3 hour transfer to Kansas City or Oklahoma. Hard pass. So they broke protocol and made an arrangement with an ER in Wichita and he at least got a room in the Ready Care. Ortho resident was awesome. Well, except for the Medieval torture contraption to get the bones somewhat back in place & relieve the pressure on the nerves using 15 lbs. of weight. Even after 30cc of Lidocaine and a block, I thought he was going to pass out - either from the pain or the realization of what they were going to do to him.

Skipping over mundane details, he had to have an echocardiogram, EKG and clearance from his cardiologist prior to surgery, scheduled for Friday. All good. He's now sporting a plate & a veritable box of screws. Recovery should be 3-4 months. He will most likely have a loss of motion in his wrist and thumb but, all things considered, could be worse. Finally discharged this afternoon. Guess it's time to dust off my Nurst Ratchet hat and judiciously dispense pain meds.

I wish there was an exciting story on how it happened, but he simply fell on the sidewalk. I don't know if the laminectomy's compromised his balance, but it hasn't been good for a few years. He seriously needs a bubble!!!! (warning: couple of the pics are graphic).

Attachments

• IMG_20220407_210745523.jpg
    IMG_20220407_210745523.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220408_021559197.jpg
    IMG_20220408_021559197.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220408_021837560.jpg
    IMG_20220408_021837560.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220408_022404015.jpg
    IMG_20220408_022404015.jpg