Cane syrup and.....

Help Support CattleToday:

LRTX1

Reaction score
Cane syrup and Peanut Butter. Made a sandwich tonight and my wife said I was wierd. I said everybody's doing it. Have yall ever had one? I know Jogee probably has and washed it down with a coke with some peanuts in it.

I grew up eating corn syrup and peanut butter mixed together and spread on bread. It was and is still good but I don't eat it much anymore due to the high number of calories. I never tried molasses with peanut butter but I do like molasses and hot buttermilk biscuits. I guess not too many people have tried the mixture I know my wife thinks it is very unusual.

LRTX1":1g7qqzr0 said:
Cane syrup and Peanut Butter. Made a sandwich tonight and my wife said I was wierd. I said everybody's doing it. Have yall ever had one? I know Jogee probably has and washed it down with a coke with some peanuts in it.
Real "Cane syrup"?? We always called it Ribbon Cane Syrup...no molasses, not corn syrup...for those that have never had it you gotta get your hands on some. Out of this world and rich as three foot up a bulls a$$.

It may be seen as weird by some, I think it's dam nice especially on fresh crispy white bread with a glass of milk. My dad used to reprimand us for 'concrete mixing' - take a bite and then a glug of milk :lol: . Honey and peanut butter is just as good.

TexasBred":1fxf26lc said:
LRTX1":1fxf26lc said:
Real "Cane syrup"?? We always called it Ribbon Cane Syrup...no molasses, not corn syrup...for those that have never had it you gotta get your hands on some. Out of this world and rich as three foot up a bulls a$$.

So where can you find Ribbon Cane these days? I haven't seen any since I was a teenager. It's all sorghum.

Slick still a few old timers over in Easst Texas cook it. It's a real art (almost a lost art form) Most of the sugar cane now is pretty much in Louisiana. I have a can I got last year from my sister who lives outside Nacogdoches. Label came off the can. Maybe she can give me the name.

It's pretty easily found down here. A lot of the mom & pop groceries, that are still around, carry it. Still quite a few "old timers" that cook it here.

Had relatives in East Texas that we'd visit occasionally and always bought it at a produce stand outside of Canton. Came in a gallon tin as I remember. We'd use real butter and pour the syrup over it, then run a hot biscuit through it. Dang that was good. I'd appreciate the name if she has it.

slick4591":3dox12nf said:
Had relatives in East Texas that we'd visit occasionally and always bought it at a produce stand outside of Canton. Came in a gallon tin as I remember. We'd use real butter and pour the syrup over it, then run a hot biscuit through it. Dang that was good. I'd appreciate the name if she has it.

Yessirrreeee....stir that butter and syrup together and hit it with that biscuit...don't need anything else 'cept maybe a few sausage and pour some of the syrup on them too. :nod:

TexasBred":1o1jx4zd said:
LRTX1":1o1jx4zd said:

Its good on about anything really. Has a nice flavor doesn't it? Next time you boil some carrots add a tablespoon or two in the water and give that a try. It'll make you eat carrots a lot more often.

Yeah, the pure stuff is hard to come by cause its not as pretty as the corn syrup diluted stuff and it costs a lot more to make. I use it for a lot of things and it does have a much richer taste. If anyone has never had any it is worth the extra money if you come across some. To me, the best use of it is in curing bacon. It is heavenly and I can't keep enough made.

Here is how we crush the cane. I think this was Mississippi Red.

Picture001.jpg

Here it is boiling off the water.

Picture015.jpg

Here is the goody ready to be bottled.

Picture018.jpg

Here is what's called the skimmings. This is normally thrown away but I have known of a few young boys who got their start in the field of alcohol making by fermenting this stuff. Am told some fierce headaches resulted from this practice till they learned to do things proper but I wouldn't know anything about the specifics cause this also resulted in some severe a$$ whoopings as well. :hide:

Picture002.jpg

If anyone wants some of the real stuff this fall/winter I'll be glad to put you in contact with my neighbor. One of our x-governor's used to land his plane here and pick up a few cases from him from time to time cause he produces some really good syrup. I don't produce any myself. Too much work for me but I've been known to help from time to time.

Wow.....great pics. Only diff. I see is the last "cooking" I saw the cooker had about 4 separate compartments and the juice would circulate from 1st to last where it was canned....all the way thru men were skimming off the impurities. Will have to remember the suggestion about adding it to the carrots. Thanks Jogee. :clap:

I figured jogee knew what the good stuff was. I need to find a new supplier, all the old-timers that do good with it are getting fewer and farther between,

LRTX1":318rocd7 said:
I figured jogee knew what the good stuff was. I need to find a new supplier, all the old-timers that do good with it are getting fewer and farther between,

Just sort of reading between the lines, I do get the impression that he may have "worked with those skimmins" a time or two as well. :drink: :shock:

I'm finding that companies are offering "pure cane syrup" or "Ribbon Cane syrup" and leaving the "pure" or "100%" off. Seems lots of Ribbon Cane fields are close enough to other cane fields and suffer from cross pollination, so they can't state they are "1OO%" or "pure". However, I did find this one that says they are pure: http://www.carsonannsyrups.com/ .

Latest posts