Canada Unsure if Quarantined Animals Will be Destroyed

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
CattleNetwork_Today 3/5/2007 2:28:00 PM

Canada Investigating Feed Mix-Up Following Farm Quarantines

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said it is premature to speculate whether Canadian cattle and deer from nine farms that received shipments of tainted meat and bone meal will be destroyed or remain eligible for slaughter.

The animals, about 8,000 in all, may have been exposed to feed containing specified risk materials for bovine spongiform encephalopathy as a result of a mix-up at the supplier level. The mill supplying the farms purchased feather meal, a poultry product used in cattle feed, but instead received meat and bone meal.

The mill made the discovery within two to three days of receiving and shipping the feed, Dr. George Luterbach, chief veterinarian for CFIA, told Meatingplace.com. The nine farms, all located in the province of Saskatchewan, subsequently were quarantined due to concerns that animals at those locations may have consumed some of the feed, he said.

Seven of the farms are located in the Saskatoon area. The remaining two are in the Swift Current area in the southwest region of the province. Two of the farms are dairies, two deer farms and five beef cattle ranches.

Luterbach said that CFIA will need to perform a complete risk assessment of each of the nine farms before determining its next course of action. Among other variables, investigators will consider the age of the animals, their species and the original source of the meat and bone meal.

Luterbach pointed out that, starting in July, CFIA will ban specified risk materials from all animals, pet foods and fertilizers rather than just those products destined for cattle, the intent being to avoid the risk of inadvertent contamination of feed on farms and ranches, as apparently was the case here.

OT get up to speed !!! or are you intentianally trying to mislead people on this site. Check with CFIA media relations the phone number is on their web site but i will warn you your call will be recorded and retained for records. But you can also check CTV news as well they story ran on friday an interview with one of the dairymen that had his farm quarentinted. In acutality he had not fed any of the suspect feed but the mill had not cleaned out the augers properly and augered limestone into his supplement. So there was a possiblity that the falsely labeled bone and meat meal came in contact with the limestone so his herd is quarentine. I would think that the dairyman who is under quarentine has more knowledge of what is going on that you do. As far as the feedlot, it was removed from the Quarentine list check that with the CFIA. The feedlot had not fed any suspect supplement they purchased and accounted for all of it. By the way the feedlot has a 7000 head capacity and is reportedly full. That takes a bit chunk of the 8000 head. You sure like to edit. I am looking froward to hearing more about this story this afternoon.
Get the story right and confirm facts. The ration containing the falsely labeled bone and meat meal was all destroyed none of it made it to being fed. The problem was the mill did not clean the facility to CFIA standards before putting another batch of feed through. When inspected that is when they were told they hads not met cleaning standards. And then any operation that received feed from that batch has been quarentined. The original batch contained bone and meat meal but nothing has been confirmed as far as SRM or that they came from an animal testing positive for BSE or the age of the animals the B & M meal was from so that is all fear mongering and sensationalism.
When i find out more i will post it.

Source: John Gregerson on 3/5/2007 for Meatingplace.com

saskartoon - you better get ahold of Cattlenetwork, Meatingplace, and the CFIA's head Vet and straighten them out because they came out with these articles yesterday...

You better fill that Head Vet in on what you know ;-) :lol: :lol:

I guess the thing that strikes me in the story- if these cattle or any Canadian BSE cattle pose no risk as Canadians, CFIA, USDA alleges why are they (the Chief CFIA Vet) talking about the option of destroying all the animals and not allowing them to go to slaughter :???:

OT what are you babbling about? Dr. Luterback is the person who made the statement about removing the feedlot from quarentine to Newsnet on friday. Read more than one article a day . I forgot you edit when you post so do you edit when you read? I would think the full explaination that was put out on friday would be good,as my sorce was the CFIA. Get the marbels out of you mouth. Yes 9 ouitfits were initally quarentined but some have been removed. What raised questions is that the CFIA might condem the animals who may have consumed suspect feed. I will spell it out for you rules and reguations, safety . We have rules and the feedban says no meat and bone meal is to be fed to runimants, if proven there could be a chance these animals ate bone and meat meal no matter how small the amount or how infintecimal the chance we heir on the side of caution and destroy animals. Unlike in the US where i have been told traceouts are not being done on feed ban violations. Scares me i wonder what the US consumer thinks . By the way not all canadian cattle have BSE as you report. No wonder Japan is scared of US beef. Keep up the fear mongering it is all you have.

Latest posts