Can Zactran cause abortion?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sherri Walker

Reaction score
Bought 18 bred cattle to Texas from S. Carolina in 2nd and 3rd trimester. I am beginner with cattle. Have 3 sick cattle so far. First two that were sick I gave Zactran to as provided by vet. Two days later the first one aborted and is still coughing and not breathing too well but walking around and eating a little. I am afraid to use the Zactran on the 3rd cow as someone told me that it will cause cattle to abort. Was going to try LA 200 plus sulphur bolus that another vet suggested. Any suggestions from those with experience in this?

I asked my vet and was told that none of the newer long lasting antibiotics have been tested on bred cows but felt it was safe. Difficult to say whether the high temp or the drug would cause the abortion and told me that best to save cow and lose calf than to lose both. Just wondered what other more experienced cattle people thought about this.

Sherri Walker":3a6edjag said:
I asked my vet and was told that none of the newer long lasting antibiotics have been tested on bred cows but felt it was safe. Difficult to say whether the high temp or the drug would cause the abortion and told me that best to save cow and lose calf than to lose both. Just wondered what other more experienced cattle people thought about this.
Being that It is a rather new drug I'm sure everyone is in the dark just like you. Can't believe a vet would give it though without knowing.

Latest posts