Can you haul live turkey from coast to coast

Help Support CattleToday:

bkgs

Reaction score
Live Turkey

Can you haul turkey from coast to coast or is it too long a distance. You have to pay attention to weather but not evening considering weather can you haul turkey from coast to coast or is it too long on a truck.

I talked to an agricultural professor and he told me the longest he hears at times is 14 hours and the longest is 20 hours he has heard.

If you can, I know the mileage from Richmond to California but how long would it take to haul turkey or livestock.

How hard is it to get a turkey production contract for x number, a commerical number of turkey, as small as 5,000 turkey with the grower to pay for all supplies and transportation, all money being paid at delivery. I'm asking like I know the answer but I don't know the answer.

I think if to fulfull a big contract with what's mentioned may take long mileage hauling.

It'll take two days minimum to go coast to coast if you hire a driver that uses California turnaround toothpicks. Can turkeys survive that long in a crate? - I'm asking you because I sure don't know, but I wouldn't think so.

I don't know but this what you are talking about or some other thing to do should work. I mean, people ship horses across country and I am positive they look for the horse to be shipped fine. I do not know why a turkey should fall apart.

Horses and cattle are not usually hauled in "Tight Pack"... Turkeys and chickens are probably crammed into cages (or whatever) with little air circulation. Overheating would, IMO, be a big issue.

On the other hand, me thinks chickens and turkeys are always looking for a way to get sick or die...lol.

Guess a hauler could put them in a refrigerated truck and lower their metabolism and then thaw them out at the destination... :shock: :stop:

Horses that are shipped long distant are unloaded and boarded overnight at scheduled stops.

Cal

Be a loong time without food or water.. Horses are unloaded,fed,watered. Can't get turkeys to do that. Why would you want to do that anyhow?

You could probably buy an airplane ticket and bring it with you as carrion luggage

Latest posts