Can the new diesels be safely driven in dry fields or pastur

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
I'm been looking at new and used diesel pickups to put a haybed on. Read on some of the diesel forums about how hot all this new emission and muffler stuff gets. It can't be taken off or it sets off codes and such, but I wonder if it will start fires and such if driven in dry fields or dead grass. Anybody know?
TIA

No worse the any of the gas pickups that have catalytic converters.

A guy at the dodge delearship told me that you had to be runnin down the road at certain RPM's. He said the dodge had a light that told you when it was fixin to burn the black smoke out and you had to be runnin down the road. Ive heard that the exhaust will reach 300 degrees and if that is true i would be afraid to even own one. I just bought a 2007 dodge (actually 12-06 but they called it a 2007) had to go to texas to find it. It was one of 4 new,one ton, 4wd,4 doors with the 5.9 motor in it that was within 600 miles of here.

buckwheat_87":3rj0wond said:
A guy at the dodge delearship told me that you had to be runnin down the road at certain RPM's. He said the dodge had a light that told you when it was fixin to burn the black smoke out and you had to be runnin down the road. Ive heard that the exhaust will reach 300 degrees and if that is true i would be afraid to even own one. I just bought a 2007 dodge (actually 12-06 but they called it a 2007) had to go to texas to find it. It was one of 4 new,one ton, 4wd,4 doors with the 5.9 motor in it that was within 600 miles of here.

300?...haha...on the highway with a loaded trailer...my EGT's get in the high 900's or low 1000's

Catalytic converters run 500-650 degrees and I haven;t started any fires with my trucks.

NamVet_Farmer44":3bfm92ka said:
buckwheat_87":3bfm92ka said:

300?...haha...on the highway with a loaded trailer...my EGT's get in the high 900's or low 1000's
I'm forgetfull aren't you the fella with 1200 acres, no tractors and you farm with mules? Or are you the fella that bought the biggest cat tracked tractor and massey combine made? Or are you the fella that did that crazy land swapping where you had no idea what county you actually swapped the land to? So after clearing all that up your loaded trailer being pulled by the mules gets how hot? Was this trailer loaded with turkey crap or chocolate candy? I'm thinking I know where most of that hot air is originating from. Old Heritage Farmboys mouth.

dun":8776hw5r said:
Catalytic converters run 500-650 degrees and I haven;t started any fires with my trucks.

I almost lost one a few years ago because of the catalytic converter. Funny thing was, once the grass fire started the truck shut off.(I guess it was because of the smoke in the intake) Anyway I was stranded. Thankfully I usually keep a fire extinguisher in the truck and it only did $278 worth of damage. Never knew plastic was so expensive. :mad:

Responded to a fire last summer where a guys Grandmother pulled her gas engine truck out in the field to bring him some lunch. Knee high grass not far from about 75 large round bales. The truck was saved but it was about 40 acres that burned including all the hay. Any vehicle can and will start a fire in grass that can reach the exhaust system. Don't let anyone tell you green vegatation won't burn. It don't have to be dead and dry.

somn":3nfstwu2 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":3nfstwu2 said:
buckwheat_87":3nfstwu2 said:

I'm forgetfull aren't you the fella with 1200 acres, no tractors and you farm with mules? Or are you the fella that bought the biggest cat tracked tractor and massey combine made? Or are you the fella that did that crazy land swapping where you had no idea what county you actually swapped the land to? So after clearing all that up your loaded trailer being pulled by the mules gets how hot? Was this trailer loaded with turkey crap or chocolate candy? I'm thinking I know where most of that hot air is originating from. Old Heritage Farmboys mouth.

Ok Mr. Bipolar...buy a 7.3 Powerstroke...put a pyrometer in it...then drive down the interstate at 75...see how hot the EGT's get...You are an idiot, I dont know what problem you have with me, but at least know what your talking about before your get your panties in a bunch

NamVet_Farmer44":2k5zph2v said:
somn":2k5zph2v said:
NamVet_Farmer44":2k5zph2v said:
buckwheat_87":2k5zph2v said:

Ok Mr. Bipolar...buy a 7.3 Powerstroke...put a pyrometer in it...then drive down the interstate at 75...see how hot the EGT's get...You are an idiot, I dont know what problem you have with me, but at least know what your talking about before your get your panties in a bunch
I was not aware that a person could buy a team of mules powered by a 7.3 powerstroke . Here in MN they don't like livestock running down the interstate it tends to cause traffic related problems. But of course I've never had a mule that was able to run at speeds of 75 mph. Where abouts do you wire the pyrometer do these mules powered by the powerstroke have a special fastening port for the pyrometer? Near it's head or is it near the ass? As far as being Bipolar blameing other people for your shortcomings is not really the best way to deal with your mental condition. You remember typing this? http://cattletoday.com/forum/about21485-0-asc-45.html

How about this one?
http://cattletoday.com/forum/about26883.html&highlight=

Talk about bipolar. Or maybe just more hot air huh? Throw a pyrometer on your mouth and needle will go all they way around and then break off.

:shock:

sport-smiley-002.gif

I wouldn't get too worried about setting off fires. When pulling hay trailers with my heavily modified trucks, my pre-turbo EGTs would approach 1500F from time to time if I'd forgotten to turn down the power level. This means exhaust temps in the downpipe would likely be in that 700F range but the pipes never got hot enough to light anything up while the truck was moving.

Now if you park a vehicle, any vehicle, including one without a cat converter, in tall, dry grass after running it hard you're risking a fire.

Rod

I dont know anything about the new diesels but in general isnt it the cross over pipe on trucks equiped with a single exhaust that is a fire hazard? Example the grass catches and gets stuck on that crossover pipe that joins your headers down to the one piece exhaust system.
Im thinking dual exhaust is the best.

I had a fire under the mule this morning. I'ld been working in a waqrm season grass field that's 6-10 feet tall. A lot got brokewn off as I drove through and some got hung up on the muffler. By the time I got done and back up to the barn, no grass thankfully, I had a lovely smoldering smudge going hangin off the muffler. The grass is green but hanging on the hot muffler dried it out.

DiamondSCattleCo":2boh5ixs said:
I wouldn't get too worried about setting off fires. When pulling hay trailers with my heavily modified trucks, my pre-turbo EGTs would approach 1500F from time to time if I'd forgotten to turn down the power level. This means exhaust temps in the downpipe would likely be in that 700F range but the pipes never got hot enough to light anything up while the truck was moving.

Now if you park a vehicle, any vehicle, including one without a cat converter, in tall, dry grass after running it hard you're risking a fire.

Rod

BS Rod...that can't be true...cause Somn says EGT's dont get that high! :roll: :roll: :roll: ...the highest my EGT's have gotten was around 1300F and once I saw that, I pulled off at the next rest stop to let the truck cool down a little...what was the 1500F EGT's in? a cummins?...by the way, I don't know if you'll be able to answer this or not...but is the Smarty downloader any good on the 3rd gen. cummins?

NamVet_Farmer44":bdxt7rmx said:
DiamondSCattleCo":bdxt7rmx said:

Rod

BS Rod...that can't be true...cause Somn says EGT's dont get that high! :roll: :roll: :roll: ...the highest my EGT's have gotten was around 1300F and once I saw that, I pulled off at the next rest stop to let the truck cool down a little...what was the 1500F EGT's in? a cummins?...by the way, I don't know if you'll be able to answer this or not...but is the Smarty downloader any good on the 3rd gen. cummins?
Heritage I would like for you to show me where I said anything along the lines of how hot EGT's can get. I simply restated the obvious for the newbies who are not aware of your username changing story changing ways. You started here as a Virginian hillbilly who did everything with mules you fed your cattle turkey sh!t and said the words fellar, welp and reckon alot. Now you are diesel engine expert who does all this crazy land swapping and makes $500,000.00 cat tractor and massey combine puchases. You should maybe change your username to something the actually describes you better like Namvet bullsh!tter. When was it that you actually were the liar then as heritage or now as namvet?

NamVet_Farmer44":3ei4b82l said:
what was the 1500F EGT's in? a cummins?...by the way, I don't know if you'll be able to answer this or not...but is the Smarty downloader any good on the 3rd gen. cummins?

It was on a Cummins. They're able to take alot more EGT for brief periods than the internet forums allow for. My 2003 hit 2000F more times than I can count while testing new programs for TST and experimenting with turbochargers.

As for the Smarty, I have no personal experience. Marco didn't get them done until a few months after I shut down the shop. I've been meaning to talk to a reliable friend whos still in the business about them, but haven't had a chance.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":uff0w4vj said:
NamVet_Farmer44":uff0w4vj said:
what was the 1500F EGT's in? a cummins?...by the way, I don't know if you'll be able to answer this or not...but is the Smarty downloader any good on the 3rd gen. cummins?

It was on a Cummins. They're able to take alot more EGT for brief periods than the internet forums allow for. My 2003 hit 2000F more times than I can count while testing new programs for TST and experimenting with turbochargers.

As for the Smarty, I have no personal experience. Marco didn't get them done until a few months after I shut down the shop. I've been meaning to talk to a reliable friend whos still in the business about them, but haven't had a chance.

Rod

dang it's hard to ignore that obnoxious S.O.B. Somn...but i'll try to just stick to talkin about EGT's here...one of my sons just bought a Dodge and he was wondering if the Smarty was any good...i've only got experience with Powerstrokes and 12V cummins...I know that dang TS chip on the 6th setting...I think it was something like 140+ HP...well it would make my EGT's skyrocket...that chip smoked way too much for me though...I have the PPE enforcer now and I like it a lot better...i've also got a dual HPOP's system in the mail too :D ...and by the way, I think I argued with you about Banks products a while back, and i'll admit it now, Banks sucks compared to the price and power of a lot of the other programmers and chips out there :lol: