Can someone explain the logic of this to me

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Maybe I'm slow so maybe someone can explain to me how this makes sense cause I know DotGov just has our best interest at heart.

Last week, after a very lengthy undercover investigation that took several years, the police raided a local store and busted a major gambling ring where they had video poker machines. (Licensed, pemitted and taxed by both the city and the state and are all owned by a federal gov't employee) They confiscated the machines and about $5000 in cash. It was a daring raid but was accomplished without incident. And as for the brave undercover officers that went in deep cover to gain intel - I haven't the words to express my feelings for them. Their bravery. Their tenacity.

Of course, each and every one of these machines were licensed by the Georgia Department of Revenue so discovering they were in the store wasn't that difficult .... but I digress and I think the Chief of Police puts it in perspective.

"People always try to say that gambling is a victimless crime. But it is not a victimless crime. There are more victims than just what meets the eye," said Ray City Police Chief Roy Bamburg.

Chief Bamburg says the biggest problem has been gamblers who can't afford to lose. Mainly disabled locals who bring in their government checks and lay them on the line. When they lose they become a burden for local churches offering support groups.

These "Georgia Skills" games aren't actually illegal to have. They work just like a slot machine. You place your bet and give it a spin. But you can only play for store credit. When they started gambling with money, that's when they starting gambling with the law.

"You're not going to take $50 of your money and try to win a loaf of bread. You're going to take $50 and try to win more money. That's the only purpose for these machines is to make money," said Chief Bamburg.

The Corner Market is still open for now, as they await their punishment. Police need to sort out who all was involved and to what degree. They anticipate arresting at least five people.

"My sworn oath is to protect the people of this city and I intend to do that," said the chief.

I agree with the chief of police and I agree that gambling is bad and it hurts those who cannot afford to be hurt. And their children. Under the current law you can only win mechandise in the store but there is no law preventing you from returning your mechandise and receiving money for the goods so this is a loophole that is easily manipulated.

Two days later, the news says Georgia senate has decided to crack down on these vile games with tougher regulations. Their proposal is to allow the state lottery to handle the video poker games and they will receive 10% of the money generated. Instead of giving tickets, the government will make the machine spit out food vouchers that can be redeemed at the counter. Now I'm not sure what the difference is between a ticket and a voucher but it must be some kind of special cause this will surely solve the concerns of the police chief. Of course you can still return mechandise can't you. Or will they outlaw this as well? Not sure.

Thankfully, Sen. Tommie Williams, R-Lyons, raised moral objections. "I hope we don't justify doing wrong by saying, 'Yeah, it's for the HOPE Scholarship,' " he said, noting the toll on gambling addicts. "The way to help them, frankly, is to take away the convenience of the machines."

Williams' amendment to completely ban the machines passed initially but eventually failed in a close re-vote when Bethel warned that the way it was worded would leave no regulation of the machines. (No regulation would mean no tax dollars generated since they would be outlawed completely and the city and state wouldn't get their clip)

Is it just me or does this almost sound like the mafia?

What's so funny about it is these machines are in most every store. They are not hidden and people play them openly so why mess with this one Mom and Pop store after they did it openly for so long? I can only guess someone broke the arrangement. Its amazing how its immorale for us to gamble so its illegal but when the state is running the gambling hall its perfectly acceptable. Its either wrong or its not. Personally, I think its wrong and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they pulled the lottery and all the machines from the state.

Jogeephus":3f9aax20 said:
Thankfully, Sen. Tommie Williams, R-Lyons, raised moral objections. "I hope we don't justify doing wrong by saying, 'Yeah, it's for the HOPE Scholarship,' " he said, noting the toll on gambling addicts. "The way to help them, frankly, is to take away the convenience of the machines."

Williams' amendment to completely ban the machines passed initially but eventually failed in a close re-vote when Bethel warned that the way it was worded would leave no regulation of the machines. (No regulation would mean no tax dollars generated since they would be outlawed completely and the city and state wouldn't get their clip)
A few years ago in Tommie Williams' district of Lyons, Vidalia, Swainsboro, a simultaneous raid was made on convenience stores that had these video poker parlors in a back room. I never knew these backroom poker parlors existed before the raid. It was on a Sunday morning if I remember right. Every store in Lyons and Vidalia, it was 20 something stores, was padlocked for weeks except for the Flash Foods chain. There was hardly anywhere to buy gas. The reason they conducted the raid was people were complaining to the law about their spouses blowing their whole paychecks on these machines. That might explain a little bit about where Tommie Williams is coming from.

I agree 100% with Senator Williams. It was refreshing to see a congressman with a set of values for a change. Unfortunately there are not enough of them in our state since his bill was overturned after it was pointed out the state would no longer be able to collect tax money.

If we are to help those who are vulnerable we shouldn't give them a snake. These machines are everywhere here and in most instances they are right out in the open. For them to act like they didn't know they were in the stores either means the police chief is a liar or a fool. Simply having the state collect more tax revenue from these machines will do little to nothing to help the public.

I'm in agreement with you here on all points , Jo. I also have a lot of respect for Tommie Williams.

That's good to know cause I just sent him a letter of praise today thanking him for his common sense and sound principles.