can I ask a pig question?

Help Support CattleToday:

5Pins....a good 18% pig starter (Purina or any other brand) probably cost less than the corn/oats your talking about plus it will be twice the protein and you can probably feed less. All grains are extremely high now. Was that preservative propionic acid ??? It's often used as a preservative for both animal feed and food for human consumption. For animal feed, it is used either directly or as its ammonium salt. In human foods, especially bread and other baked goods, it is used as its sodium or calcium salt.

Depending on the genetics nowadays you can push pigs with grain and get them bigger and they stay leaner than the standard breeds we had years ago . Try to get something with good genetics .

next time I go down to buy some feed I will stop at Dels and copy the label. I looked for one but didnt have any empty feed sacks laying around. I did call down and see how much pig grower is, its 13.48 plus tax for 40 pounds. Dry cob is 12.48 plus tax for 50 pounds. barnyard mix (COB with pellets) is 6.99 plus tax for 50 pounds or 9.99 plus tax for 80 pounds.

Shorty these are Hampshire x Duroc. Beings as I bought the first ones in that litter I get to pick mine first. Looking for long pigs.

Back when I fed pigs I liked duroc crosses , we liked yorkshire x duroc they were nice and long , you want long piggs so you get those extra pork chops.

5 minpins, where did you get the yorkshire x duroc. i am looking for some durox or duroc crosses. i live in arkansas, anyone know where i might get some

tommy&april":14le89bh said:
5 minpins, where did you get the yorkshire x duroc. i am looking for some durox or duroc crosses. i live in arkansas, anyone know where i might get some

well I live in Washington state so kind of far to get a pig for ya lol. I looked at craigslist and really didnt see any ads for pigs on there, your best bet would be looking in the little nickel papers, feed store bulletin boards, and you could always call the slaughter guy and ask him if he slaughtered for anyone that sold weaner pigs. I found mine a couple miles up the road from me, 70 acre farm that has 110 head of Limo's and a big plywood sign that says PIGS FOR SALE lol. stopped in and checked out the piggies and bought 3, fairly clean place, lots of hay in the barn, pallets of good grain in the barn etc. Nothing there was starving or living in being neglected. I paid 100 each for the weaner pigs, that is the average price around here. Felt bad for the guy and his wife, their house burnt to the ground in march and they didnt have insurance :( .
how much is the rest of the country paying for a weaner pig?

I run 1000 sows behind a double hot wire, while we use a commercial mix, compounded for uor conditions, smallholders feed waste vegetables cooked up,with added vitamins and trace mineral mixes, there are several protien additives available for these "Swill feeders",but extracted soya constitutes the bulk of the protien in these rations. If you have no luck finding the pigs you want here, try the discussion forum / market place on this site; http://www.thepigsite.com/

When I was raising pigs I paid $30 a pig. heard that this spring the 4-H kids had to pay $100 a pig. :mad:
Saw some in the paper and they were asking $40. Now that was this spring.

tommy&april":3hx08qp9 said:
I've got a Duroc breeder I really like in Albers, IL... his name is Bill Range... he works for the Ford dealer in Albers. I can get him your number... we just butchered a Duroc Gilt that was probably good sow material (wish I'd known you were looking). Happy to hook you up if you're interested.

yea please do.. i just hate to have to to il to get some , i was hoping i could find some closer to ark.. im new to this and would like any info you can give me. just want some to raise and a few to butcher. how much to have them butchrered

Wisteria Farms, where are you located? I live over in Steeleville and have heard of Bill Range from Albers. Dad still has 35 sows farrow to finish and has york/landrace sows crossed with duroc/hamp boars. Gets all his stock from Cedar Ridge in Red Bud.

5minpins":k6oi3ebp said:
next time I go down to buy some feed I will stop at Dels and copy the label. I looked for one but didnt have any empty feed sacks laying around. I did call down and see how much pig grower is, its 13.48 plus tax for 40 pounds. Dry cob is 12.48 plus tax for 50 pounds. barnyard mix (COB with pellets) is 6.99 plus tax for 50 pounds or 9.99 plus tax for 80 pounds.

Shorty these are Hampshire x Duroc. Beings as I bought the first ones in that litter I get to pick mine first. Looking for long pigs.

Why are they charging you tax on livestock feed?

I'm sorry,
Bill Range is from Marissa, IL off Rt. 4 (not Albers). His number is 618-973-1070.
Really great guy. We bought 3 "show quality" pigs (2 barrows and 1 gilt) from him for $100 each. All were registered and had epd's.
He had other breeds as well (some hamps and yorks) but I think is primarily a Duroc breeder. Again, WONDERFUL man.. I highly recommend. Marissa is Southern Illinois so depending on where you are in Arkansas, it may not be too bad of a trip and worth it considering the quality.
Keep me posted if you buy from him...

Weaver":2jmg9dlv said:
Wisteria Farms, where are you located? I live over in Steeleville and have heard of Bill Range from Albers. Dad still has 35 sows farrow to finish and has york/landrace sows crossed with duroc/hamp boars. Gets all his stock from Cedar Ridge in Red Bud.
Jerseyville, Illinois...
We'll go back to Bill next year... great man, greater stock.

Why are they charging you tax on livestock feed?[/quote]

because I live in Washington state? lol Kidding, they might not be, I just assume they are. Washington has sales tax on everything except groceries.

tommy&april":12mwlqfy said:
also does anyone now about the average price to get a hog processed ... for you basic stuff..bacon,sausage, porkchops, hams
We just had 3 processed a couple weeks ago, one about 200 lbs, one about 250 lbs, and the other about 260 lbs live weights. The smaller one cost $134 and the others were $145 AND $147. This included slaughter, cutting, wrapping, freezing, curing of the hams, bacon and jowl, slicing of the bacon and one ham into steaks from each hog, and half the sausage bulk - the rest put into breakfast links. I know the 'kill' was $2/hd, but I don't have the breakdown on the rest.

Only one thing I know about a pig (aside from they taste really good ) is how to give one a pill-this would work on most any meds.Use a small metal bowl,put in the meds and cover meds with strawberry jam.. The pig will almost eat the bowl..

peg4x4":1wgyx7wp said:
Only one thing I know about a pig (aside from they taste really good ) is how to give one a pill-this would work on most any meds.Use a small metal bowl,put in the meds and cover meds with strawberry jam.. The pig will almost eat the bowl..
Peg...thats funny...they do the same thing with my muck boots. Ours LOVED cow crap... so much that I'd have to watch the agressive "lickers" as they'd try to chew the boot! Had a hard time walking through the pig pen... it was funny.. but now they're BACON!!! yeah!!

Latest posts