Can Breeding Stock be too tame?

Help Support CattleToday:

How tame is too tame. I also call my cows into the lot. Could not drive one if you tried. Mine are tame enough that I have worked 70 cows and 45 calves in the last two weeks by myself wit5h less than perfect facilities. Just take my time and never get them excited and they will do whatever I want. I know all cattle are not like that but I have culled over the years until I can handle them.
Several years ago it took all the family to work them. Not anymore, If one gives problems me and her make a trip to town and she does not return. Yes, I do have a few Brahama influenced cows and a few longhorns and they work good also.
As said before let them know you are the boss but do it gently, walk slowly and talk softly. Easier on them and me.

Docility is something we aspire for and I don't think they can be to tame. But, their environment must be managed...less a swing of the head may cause the need for hip replacement. A cattle stick length away makes me feel better.

I am reminded of a cattleman from Tyler, Texas who once said to me;..."A cowboy becomes a cattleman when he learns to lead instead of driveing the animals".

tlmcr":2q64c70j said:
Bonsman:

I say yes they can be too tame. My cow herd borders on that, they are hard to drive and won't move for the tractor sometimes. Usually if I have strangers around when we work cattle it helps, they are a little more edgy. The flip side is the calves become gentle by weaning and are easy to handle and halter break if necessary.

Hard to drive? I would say that fits the description of mine too. Leading is a different story however. They will follow me to the end of the earth and back.

Nothing wrong with gentle cows that know who the leader is.

Latest posts