Can all bank employees access accounts?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'd never given it much thought, but can anyone who works at a bank access all accounts at random?

I was talking with some friends last night, and he has an ex inlaw that he doesn't care for who started working at his bank. He said he felt uncomfortable knowing she had access to his account because he feels it's none of her business.

Can bank employees just sit around and access people's accounts out of curiosity to see how much money they have? I'm certain there are privacy rules, butt hat doesn't keep them from doing it. I wonder if there is an electronic record of who accesses whose account and if a person could call and ask.

I'd never given it a lot of thought, but when you live in a small town, there's always going to be someone who works there that you wouldn't want accessing your personal business.

I know the bank employees at my bank are gossipy wet hens.. so, i know they do.

If she has access to accounts in general, she has access to his account.

You might ask the bank manager to block her access. Depending on how sophisticated their systems are, and the level of corporation from the manager, she could be kept out of an account. Plus, it is cause for immediate dismissal if you can ever prove (key word, prove) she said something to someone outside the bank about the account.

Very good chance, that she can. She won't be employed there long, if she goes around talking about it though. personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If he moved his account to another bank, chances are that there is somebody there he doesn't want creeping on him either.

I don't know if a bank employee can or can't access accounts. But there's nothing private in this country anymore. And you are very mislead if you believe anything different.

jedstivers":7r827s86 said:
I know of one girl that was husband hunting through the accts. Bet there's been more than one though.

If that's the case, every woman at the bank should be lined up at my brother's door.

Been out of banking too long to know how it is now. Most could surely check a balance, post a deposit or withdrawal etc. There are certain management holds or other restrictions that can be put on certain information within an account that would limit access to unauthorized personnel. Why would you care?? Unlike what cowgirl8 said most employees realize their job depends partially on their keeping bank business in the bank and not in the coffee shop....their job depends on it. If you're hiding nothing or ashamed of nothing then have no fear.

I have yet to meet any employees at my bank that could not access my account. With the exception on one or two, they all have have over 10 years with the bank which says something for their integrity. While there are consequences for revealing private information there is nothing to absolutely prevent them from disclosing other than the threat of jail time, their values and morals. It comes down to trust.

I would *expect* employees at the bank to have to log in to any terminal they use, and I'm quite certain they'd be keeping track of who did what from which terminal...
Kinda like at bars, where each waitress has the armband with a swipe card so she can quickly access the bills she needs.

TexasBred":3p8tkf9d said:
Been out of banking too long to know how it is now. Most could surely check a balance, post a deposit or withdrawal etc. There are certain management holds or other restrictions that can be put on certain information within an account that would limit access to unauthorized personnel. Why would you care?? Unlike what cowgirl8 said most employees realize their job depends partially on their keeping bank business in the bank and not in the coffee shop....their job depends on it. If you're hiding nothing or ashamed of nothing then have no fear.

Why would I care? I suppose it's not a big deal, but I just come from an area and generation where specific, personal money discussion isn't done, it's a private thing.

I remember seeing an interview once where Johnny Carson said someone asked him how much he payed for his house and his salary. I don't remember the exact words, but he told them something like, "None of your business." When they asked why, he said because he was a Nebraska boy and that's how he was raised." I could relate to that.

In my friend's case, it was his x's sister that worked at the bank. I can understand that. I just feel weird that a lot of people can punch a few buttons and know what i have in the bank, but in the long run, it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but it's just mu personality.

We sometimes have nosy visitors... they ask how much land we have, and we kinda point and say, "It's basically what you see here". I was born in Switzerland, and I was raised the same way.. In such a small, populated country, people have to be discrete or there would be no privacy at all.. around here, with such expanses of land and distance between neighbors, it is not as critical.. but I value it anyhow.

Most any kind of bank will have software that can monitor every move when an employee logs in. If they are just trolling people's accounts it should flag. If they talk the will get canned.

You run just as high of a chance of her talking as any other person. Only other option is burying your money.

herofan":868zsyku said:
TexasBred":868zsyku said:

Why would I care? I suppose it's not a big deal, but I just come from an area and generation where specific, personal money discussion isn't done, it's a private thing.

I remember seeing an interview once where Johnny Carson said someone asked him how much he payed for his house and his salary. I don't remember the exact words, but he told them something like, "None of your business." When they asked why, he said because he was a Nebraska boy and that's how he was raised." I could relate to that.

In my friend's case, it was his x's sister that worked at the bank. I can understand that. I just feel weird that a lot of people can punch a few buttons and know what i have in the bank, but in the long run, it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but it's just mu personality.
I can understand that. About the only thing he can do is change banks. Having worked in a bank after I while you get to the point where you really don't care about who has what and so much of it is electronic now most bank employees have no idea WHO you may be writing checks to as they never see them. In the old days bank employees could if they wanted, know ever little detail about your account...how much you gave to the church, how often you went to the liquor store. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

BTW there is a trail left of every inquiry made, what was done, who did it etc. so if I go in and check your balance it will show up.

If you change banks it want matter Because like in any other "profession" everybody knows "somebody" at another company who could give them information.

kenny thomas":30zdz3go said:
jedstivers":30zdz3go said:
I know of one girl that was husband hunting through the accts. Bet there's been more than one though.
Was it your account she was hunting? :cboy:
I was already married but I bet when she saw mine and also the loans I had she just went on to the next one as fast as she could.

Drzr":vt4ubfse said:
If you change banks it want matter Because like in any other "profession" everybody knows "somebody" at another company who could give them information.
I know several people who use banks, cpa's, lawyers ect two or three towns away to keep their business quite.

jedstivers":1r5b4lcx said:
Drzr":1r5b4lcx said:
I know several people who use banks, cpa's, lawyers ect two or three towns away to keep their business quite.
I can believe it but really see no need for it myself. I learned a long time ago people don't want you to know what they might owe but if you'll wait long enough they'll gladly tell you what they have or what they want you to think they have. Funny how people think that way. Use to scare me to death when I finished closing a loan and just before leaving the new borrower would ask "can I pay make double payments on this thing and get it payed off early?"....knew right then it would probably end up a collection problem.

Latest posts