Camera angle or

Help Support CattleToday:

I've just talked to a couple of people about the CE and I hope I'm repeating what I was told correctly. Guess it's nice to breed heifers that will spit out a hundred pounder than to use a heifer bull you don't care for. The docility is something that I really don't understand because I've found they are like most all bovine. The more time you put into them the better they are with you. I think I ruined the young bull I have now because I put a wild eyed Brahman cross heifer in the pasture with him when he was young. He took up with her and has been really cautious of me ever since. Guess I'd rather have one that gave me my space than one that didn't.

Docility is a really complicated subject, especially when it comes to bulls... I make a very clear difference between TAME (lets you scratch him) and docile (doesn't get stirred up).. My homeraised bull is both.. Yeah, he comes close, but he's absolutely laid back and calm, you can work cows around him and he just goes with the flow.. My Limo is tame as well, but he will get excited about getting worked.
I've had pet cows that are dolls to work with, but there's just something in their eye when they have a calf that keeps me on edge (Rosie was one, though she never even so much as bluffed me).. Mega on the other hand was completely cool and collected after calving, even with relative strangers she ordinarily didn't like, she didn't show aggression toward them in the least
And yes, they do take after their peers, and it just takes ONE nutjob that freaks out about everything to set the whole herd's mood into flight mode.. Finally I've gotten rid of them all, still have a few antisocial cows, but that's OK, they don't freak out.

Well, going back over this thread and reading the more experienced cattleperson's opinions I pulled the trigger on Uro and ordered him today. I really appreciate all the responses! I think he will work with the three heifers I'll have. Crazy thing is the US only gets to order semen from Italy once and sometimes twice a year, then only the bulls they select.

Latest posts