Calving out Angus Hiefers.

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hey all,

Can any who calve out angus hiefers give me a few pointers on what to expect? I think I'm all set to go, just that the anticipation is starting to get to me. They were AI'd last spring/summer.....and I was told they are due to calve March 1. It is now nearly March 3, and no calves yet. 2 of these hiefers look like they could go very soon. The others dont look like they're as close? Why are they coming later than the anticipated date?

In the past I've dealt with Charlais primarily, and it seems they did have they're fair share of trouble. ( Ocassional calf pull,........and more often, a mother reluctant to take the calf) Are angus cattle better mothers?

Any angus owners,.........should I expect to have to fight with a few of them to get them take the calf? I really dont plan on having to pull any, although I'm ready if I need to. Is this something that occurs much within the angus breed, and hiefers in particular?

These cattle are penned in an appx 6 acre lot, with access to a barn and 40 x 40 lot if need be. Would you advise taking the newborn and mother and isolating in the smaller lot for a few days? (The smaller lot is a dirt lot, and although I do have some bedding placed here and there, mud is a problem right now) The 6 acre lot is a grass lot, and in real good shape.

Just anxious I guess..........trying to anticipate any problems before they present themselves. Hopefully things will go smoothly. Really dont want to loose any!

They are probably waiting on bad weather :lol:, and you know what they say about a watched pot. + or - 2 weeks is considered normal.

If you have an AI tech who hits 100% on the first try, many of us would like to have his name. I would count on 20% of them being missed first try, so some will be 3 or 4 weeks later IF they were rebred next cycle by AI or a cleanup bull. Too late now, but preg checking is much cheaper than feeding open girls all winter.

There is not any breed who will always calve exactly on their due date. They will come when they come and yes - are probably waiting on bad weather. Weather certainly seems to bring the girls in. Have never personally had problems with one not taking their calf. Most of mine have been very protective of all calves in the pasture - not just their own. As far as pulling goes - you can have that with any breed. Lots of factors in that - what they were bred to, how big the heifer is, etc,etc,etc. I would try to get them in a barn BEFORE they calve. I'm a neighbor to you and we still have some winter left. You will probably have some calve during harsh weather. Momma, baby, and you will do much better with some shelter. No need to isolate any unless there is a problem.

a trend i've noticed (with our cattle at least) is that bull calves tend to gestate a little longer than heifer calves. years ago we had fair bit of difficulty with angus heifers and dystocia but they were bred to a crappy limousin they had no business being exposed to in the first place.

the anticipation is tough, i have been waiting for one for over a week. they are coming when they get here. i am half way done. but i like having a field full of the little ones playing

cornstalk":33hnrpkd said:
Hey all,

Can any who calve out angus hiefers give me a few pointers on what to expect? I think I'm all set to go, just that the anticipation is starting to get to me. They were AI'd last spring/summer.....and I was told they are due to calve March 1. It is now nearly March 3, and no calves yet. 2 of these hiefers look like they could go very soon. The others dont look like they're as close? Why are they coming later than the anticipated date?

In the past I've dealt with Charlais primarily, and it seems they did have they're fair share of trouble. ( Ocassional calf pull,........and more often, a mother reluctant to take the calf) Are angus cattle better mothers?

Any angus owners,.........should I expect to have to fight with a few of them to get them take the calf? I really dont plan on having to pull any, although I'm ready if I need to. Is this something that occurs much within the angus breed, and hiefers in particular?

These cattle are penned in an appx 6 acre lot, with access to a barn and 40 x 40 lot if need be. Would you advise taking the newborn and mother and isolating in the smaller lot for a few days? (The smaller lot is a dirt lot, and although I do have some bedding placed here and there, mud is a problem right now) The 6 acre lot is a grass lot, and in real good shape.

Just anxious I guess..........trying to anticipate any problems before they present themselves. Hopefully things will go smoothly. Really dont want to loose any!

Any cow or heifer can have problems, but heifers tend to have more. If you used a proven calving ease bull, you've cut your chances of having problems. But watch them anyway. We try to calve on pasture. Our lots are so nasty this time of year. But we probably don't have the kind of weather you have up there. Good luck and let us know.....

We used to use Charolais bulls on our herd of mixed breed cows. Then we switched to Angus and had far fewer problems with pulls and lazy calves. We have just gotten into the purebred red Angus and had no problems so far with any of the calving from them.
As far as pulls, there are bad bulls (and cows) of every breed. If you used a heifer bull with a little smaller birth weights your heifers should be OK, as long as there are no legs back etc.
Angus are supposed to have a high maternal instinct. We have had one half Angus that wouldn't take her calf. :x She didn't last long in the herd though, her milk dried up and then she was on the trailer. There is nothing worse than a bad mother.
I wouldn't expect to have any problems, it's good that you are ready just in case but you will probably find these cows to be lower maintenance than your Charolais cows. A friend of the family had purebred Charolais and switched to Angus, they are more popular around here now than the Charolais are and that is primarily because of their reputation as being easier to look after.
Good luck, the wait can be horrible. Most of ours seem to be coming a few days early this year. Still have lots to go though.

Thanks all.

Victoria,

Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear........Thank you.

Now for a little bit of good luck......

I'll let everyone know how things turn out.

Ohh boy ,......or maybe I should say girl! ;-)

I'm a nervous wreck this morning.

Made my usual rounds this morning through the calving lot at 6 am. Low and behold, a new calf. Mother was laying in the straw pile, next to a pile of afterbirth. No calf to be seen,......I went searching, and found the newborn heifer calf laying under a pile of stick,...sprawled out, and shivering.

Scooper her up and ran her to the barn,.......then chased mother into the barn with the calf.

Calf is now sitting up and was standing for a short time.......pretty bright eyed and bushy tailed now that she's out of the wind. Just looks awfully gant, and mother is more worried about getting out of the barn and back to the other heifers.

After an hour of watching her pace the barn door,......I put her in the headgate,.....and carried the newborn out to her. The calf had the right idea,....but I really dont think she got much milk. She started shivering again pretty good,......so I put them both back into the barn.

Plenty of straw, and they have the entire barn to themselves. Mother still seems pretty worried about getting out of the barn........

Any pointers.......? How long should I wait before I give the calf some pre-bougtht closterum?

Yikes,....really want this calf to live! :|

cornstalk":16uor8gt said:
How long should I wait before I give the calf some pre-bougtht closterum?

Colostrum from the cow is the best. Put her in the headgate and milk her. Some cows are hard to get started milking and a weak calf can't get her going. If you can't get anything from the cow down the calf, get some colostrum replacer in it right away.

cornstalk, give the colostrum now. Don't wait. Keep them shut up together in as small area as you have available. Continue to put the heifer in the headgate and let the calf nurse. Try Dun's trick and sprinkle some grain on the calf and see if she'll lick it off and keep licking. It's tough when a cow won't take the calf and your weather makes it even tougher. Good luck....

cornstalk,
Sorry to hear about the problem. :( I agree with Frankie. Give the calf a really good first drink of colostrum and then fight with them both. The baby will have more strength to wear down her mom if she has had a full belly already.
Grain is good (as dun has said) or sometimes loose blue salt does the trick. If the cow ever urinates while in the chute you can try putting some of that on the calf, it will make it smell more like her and less like you especially since you are going to be handling it a bit to get it drinking.
If the cow isn't kicking the calf while she is drinking then one good feed to get the calf feeling strong and a little bit of warmth should be enough to do the trick without having to resort to anything mentioned above. Hope all goes well. I've said a prayer for you and let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks so much for all the quick responces! :lol:

I did as advised, and put the cow in the headgate,......fortunately she allowed me to milk her without having to tie a foot back.

I milked out about a pint and a half of colustrum, put it in a bottle........and went back to the barn, and new calf. It took her a little bit to get the hang of sucking, but when she did.......she purt near mt'd the bottle ! I saved about a half a pint for later if necessary.

Then released the cow, and put her back into the barn with the calf. It's amazing to me how much her attitude has changed since early this morning. She seems to be much more concerned about the calf now, she's licking it,......and doing quite a bit of talking. (short moo's)

I think I may be in business. If I could just see the calf sucking on mom now,......I'd feel much better.

Thanks again everyone for your responces! What a great bunch of people!!

Much abliged!

Ryan

If I could figure out how to post a picture,........I'd post one for you all.[/img]

sounds like your ok now... i wouldnt save that colostrum though unless the calf just wouldnt take it.. maybe it will get some from mom now.

i have had first time heifers not take to their calf right off..
sometimes it takes them a while to get things figured out..

jt

Horray!! :D Sounds like all will be well. That's the one thing I have never been good at is milking. :oops: If it isn't dripping out on it's own I probably won't get any. :p

LOL. Thanks for all the encouragement Victoria.

I certainly didnt claim to be an expert milker.......but if the cow will stand, and not kick...I seem to manage. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Mother and calf seem to be doing very well,....it has now been 3 days, and the calf is sucking very well on her own. Thanks for the help

It seems to me the more you anticipate a calf coming the more likely there is to be a problem. (need pulling, cow wont let calf nurse, attacked by dogs, etc.). whatever you do, dont pick a "favorite" heifer in the bunch or she will surely have problems. at least thats how it goes here. Take a chill pill. relax. enjoy the calves running, bucking, and moms running after them all excited. Thats my favorite..when a cow takes off running after her calf that is playing with that look "get back here young man!" ears flopping and udder bouncing from side to side.. lol. when she finally catches up the look on the calf says "BUT Mommm..." and then he takes off again with tail in the air! priceless. cows rock. today anyway. watch them tick me off tomorrow...

Latest posts