Calves Growing

Help Support CattleToday:

WinterSpringsFarm said:
The Shell Shocked bull looks fancy!

All the calves look dang good Ron.

Thank you, Bovine Breeder stopped by last week. It was a beautiful day. The cows were all on the back of the farm. He sees a lot of cattle. He was impressed with this crop of calves. I am pleased.

Bright Raven said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:

Thank you, Bovine Breeder stopped by last week. It was a beautiful day. The cows were all on the back of the farm. He sees a lot of cattle. He was impressed with this crop of calves. I am pleased.

They were very good. It's not very often you see month old calves with that much shape and muscle to them already.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Ron, have they started eating some grain yet? I will be putting out grain for my calves, especially with two sets of twins.

Nope. I cannot set up the sanctuary until the cows bring the calves up. The weather has been so mild, the cows are staying back on the creek. When the weather gets cool, the cows come up and that allows me to start luring the calves under the hotwire into the sanctuary where I put feed out in a trough. I also put out alfalfa wedges. The calves really go for that. I am getting impatient to start because it gives me control of the calves to halter them and treat with corid. I usually drench for coccidia even before I see signs of it. Also, at 3 months, they get their first vaccinations for FP and respiratory.

Bovine breeder said:
Bright Raven said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:

They were very good. It's not very often you see month old calves with that much shape and muscle to them already.

They are very impressive when you see them in person. Quality group of calfs!

My babies have started using the calf shed to bed down/play in, but no sign that they are eating anything yet. We have had a beautiful fall. When the weather gets nastier, they will spend more time in the shed and will start nibbling.

Latest posts